PDA

View Full Version : Bol Kong Comparison

zagsfanforlife
04-29-2008, 02:00 PM
So Here i am getting pretty excited about a player that I have never seen play in my life. All i see is highlight dunk clips, and one actual game footage. For those of you who have seen him play or have heard from different sources about this kid, I want to know two things:
1) If you had to compare him to another college basketball player past or present who would BK be like?

2) With the roster coming back next year (assuming Pargo stays) how many minutes would you realistically think Kong could get each game?

Thank you.

-Zack

jigga5
04-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Bol Kong is seriously good. I know him personally(along with sacre) and Bol impressed me more during the Provincial finals (sacre was a 11th grader). There have been many legitimate people say he has NBA potential as his DIV 1 games show, along with him locking down Seattle's Marcus Williams (NBA player from arizona) during an exhibition played in Vancouver. All the best to Bol's career, it would be a crime if he couldn't showcase his talent somewhere down south.

pbriz
04-29-2008, 04:13 PM
So Here i am getting pretty excited about a player that I have never seen play in my life. All i see is highlight dunk clips, and one actual game footage. For those of you who have seen him play or have heard from different sources about this kid, I want to know two things:
1) If you had to compare him to another college basketball player past or present who would BK be like?

2) With the roster coming back next year (assuming Pargo stays) how many minutes would you realistically think Kong could get each game?

Thank you.

-Zack

From what I have seen he is an athletic Kyle Singler. He can mix it up down low on occasion but stays in the midrange game and the 3 point line for the most part. He, like Singler, is very fluid in his movements and has an array of moves to get to the basket. Singler is more polished, yet Kong has the ability to be a better defender on athleticism alone.

BobZag
04-29-2008, 05:07 PM
I can't come up with a comparison. I'd have to see him play more. If I hear one, I'll pass it on.

As for PT this year, well, it depends on how a couple of Zags play and if the injury bug bites or not.

zag67
04-29-2008, 05:21 PM
What year would he be coming in as? Soph, Junior ???

NorthoftheBorder
04-29-2008, 05:44 PM
This was answered on my thread about Bol Kong's coach.

He would come in as a sophomore and have three years eligibility remaining.

duper
04-29-2008, 07:15 PM
I saw Kong play 2 yrs ago. If all things stayed roughly the same I would compare him to a less pollished but more athletic version of Downs. (when his confedence is there)

thespywhozaggedme
04-30-2008, 08:06 AM
I thought about this long and hard and then it came to me: Josh Childress

AllezZags
05-01-2008, 11:22 AM
After BZ's announcement in another thread this morning, I finally took the time to watch Bol Kong's hilight vids. He reminds me very much of a player I watched alot in HS and college- Freddy Jones. BK is taller and longer but has a very similar skill set and demeanor on the court. Nice get if it works out as BZ said.

theothegreat21
05-01-2008, 11:24 AM
I thought about this long and hard and then it came to me: Josh Childress

Wow that is an exciting comparison. I watched Josh play numerous times at Stanford and perhaps the best aspect of his game was how he scored in so many different ways, as well as how well he used his length on defense. I keep getting more and more excited about Bol Kong as I read more

Reborn
05-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Josh Childress comparrison would be great. I remember him well when he played at Stanford, and I've been watching him recently in the NBA playoffs in the Atlanta vs Boston series. He's coming off the bench and playing some outstanding ball for Atlanta. I've always liked Josh.

zzzjag
05-01-2008, 01:41 PM
The highlights I watched reminded me of highlights of Ira Brown in JC mostly because of the inferior competition. He was a man amongst boys in those highlights much like Ira....with out as much power on his dunks.

BobZag
05-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Ira never put 33 on Boise State, or 23 on Marquette. :)

I keep coming back to Quincy Pondexter with coaching. Also, that Torrell Martin kid at Winthrop a year back. In that mold, anyway.

Scotto
05-01-2008, 02:39 PM
I feel everyone is getting their hopes up on a guy who has been denied a student visa three times already. Why all of a sudden do you feel that will change?

Trust me I have seen Bol play since grade 11, he is a special player, but the redtape surrounding him isn't going to magicially disappear.

Oahuzag
05-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Glen Rice and Mike Dunleavy Jr. combined.

He's got Glen Rice's 3 pt. release (even though Rice's arc on his shot was higher) and Dunleavy's ball skills as a tall wing.

I hope he clears!

jscrk
05-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Before I get too excited about Bol King, can you tell me what other colleges have been actively recruiting him?

OZZag
05-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I feel everyone is getting their hopes up on a guy who has been denied a student visa three times already. Why all of a sudden do you feel that will change?

Trust me I have seen Bol play since grade 11, he is a special player, but the redtape surrounding him isn't going to magicially disappear.

I understand that Bol is now trying to get is Citizenship to make the going easier, makes you wonder why he did not do it before. Mangisto Arop had a simular situation and has his now.

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2008, 08:06 PM
I understand that Bol is now trying to get is Citizenship to make the going easier, makes you wonder why he did not do it before. Mangisto Arop had a simular situation and has his now.

I've posted this very issue multiple times. Btw, I pm'd Bob about Manny Arop as our next great Canadian recruit. Hope it happens. Great minds think alike. :D

duper
05-01-2008, 08:58 PM
I would be willing to bet Ira could put up similar numbers if he played as many minutes and was the main focus of the offense for a team with out much else to offer. The Boise state game was 109 to 100 not a typical game. Marquette, UCSB, and Oklahoma games were all blow outs which are always hard to evaluate strickly on stats. Marquette game was 22 to 7 at the qtr and 57 to 24 at half. Oklahoma was 27 to 6 at the qtr and 44 to 20 at half. Again I feel the numbers in games like that are tricky to evaluate. As stated before I have seen Bol play two yrs ago and we should be excited to see him in a Zag uniform but don't expect numbers like that he is not the second coming of Morrison.

OZZag
05-01-2008, 09:16 PM
I would be willing to bet Ira could put up similar numbers if he played as many minutes and was the main focus of the offense for a team with out much else to offer. The Boise state game was 109 to 100 not a typical game. Marquette, UCSB, and Oklahoma games were all blow outs which are always hard to evaluate strickly on stats. Marquette game was 22 to 7 at the qtr and 57 to 24 at half. Oklahoma was 27 to 6 at the qtr and 44 to 20 at half. Again I feel the numbers in games like that are tricky to evaluate. As stated before I have seen Bol play two yrs ago and we should be excited to see him in a Zag uniform but don't expect numbers like that he is not the second coming of Morrison.

I beg to differ on the quality of Bol's teamates, Sturgeon and McNutt where handy players with McNutt being named Top player in the Canadian Junior Colleges for 2007/2008.

What is more impressive with Bol's year is the fact that he played every position on the court sometimes even playing point guard. He learned to round his game off and is a keen team player.

duper
05-01-2008, 09:59 PM
You are right I have no right to bad mouth anybody. Anybody good enough to play college ball anywhere deserves a higher degree of respect. Nobody is a slouch if they are playing college ball. That being said as a 12 yr highschool coach who has coached in many tournaments North of the boarder the level of play is a little different, but there are special players up there. First time I saw Sacre I wasn't impressed until I found out he was only thirteen. Seatle U vs Douglas college 85 to 49 S.U. win. Mcnutt 15 pts Stugeon 4 pts. You decide

zagfan07
05-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Based on the youtube videos, Bol really needs some polishing IMO. His left is extremely underdeveloped and it seemed like he was a little slow with the ball in his hands. That said, I'm excited to see him in a Zags uniform and am confident the coaches can mold him into a quality player. We're going to need someone like him after LG leaves, Micah graduates, and the misses on Brock and Jeff Taylor.

CarolinaZagFan
05-02-2008, 05:24 AM
So does anyone want to place a wager that if he comes to Gonzaga that his nickname would uncreatively be "King"?

23dpg
05-02-2008, 07:56 AM
So does anyone want to place a wager that if he comes to Gonzaga that his nickname would uncreatively be "King"?

That wouldn't be too original, but still better than Donkey.:)

roxdoc
05-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Could always do "Hong"

BobZag
05-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Winthrop's Torrell Martin is as good a comparison as I can make. An inch or two taller than Torrell but the same general style, a knack for scoring. Torrell played against Gonzaga in Round 1 in 1995 and in the Spokane Arena in 1997 when Winthrop beat Notre Dame. If you ever saw Martin play, you know this is a big compliment to Bol. Torrell was darn good.

23dpg
05-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Winthrop's Torrell Martin is as good a comparison as I can make. An inch or two taller than Torrell but the same general style, a knack for scoring. Torrell played against Gonzaga in Round 1 in 1995 and in the Spokane Arena in 1997 when Winthrop beat Notre Dame. If you ever saw Martin play, you know this is a big compliment to Bol. Torrell was darn good.

Ahh, how the years pass. It seems like only last year when Winthrop beat Notre Dame.;)

BobZag
05-02-2008, 12:46 PM
er, + 10 years. :D

ZagNative
05-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Winthrop's Torrell Martin, seen here competing against Errol Night of theZags in the Flying Fish competition of the first round of the 2005 NCAA Tournament:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Errol/2005-03-17-ErrolvWinthropwithTorrel.jpg

Such a great pic of such a great Zag ...

zagsfanforlife
05-04-2008, 01:17 AM
I am pretty sure Martin was not on the 1995 team or the 1997 team BZ. If you were serious about that. I remember he was on the 2005 Winthrop team, therefore could not have had 10 years of college eligibility,