PDA

View Full Version : Canzano at it again

PilotNut
03-06-2007, 10:30 AM
First of all, congrats on the well deserved WCC Championship... a great pair of games over the weekend.

Canzano is back to talking about Few & UO... He sure seems to think it is inevitable that Few will end up in Eugene.

Article from today's Oregonian: http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/1173165934326850.xml&coll=7

More comments from his Oregonian Blog:
http://johncanzano.blogs.oregonlive.com/default.asp?item=517070

lothar98zag
03-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Canzano is back to talking about Few & UO... He sure seems to think it is inevitable that Few will end up in Eugene.
:rolleyes:

brasszag
03-06-2007, 10:33 AM
What would Oregon be able to realistically offer in terms of job acheivement that Few could not do at Gonzaga?

Nada - unless he was to use it as some sort of bizarre stepping-stone job to coaching UNC (or other actual "prestige" school) or something like that.

Asotin
03-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Does Few's family still live in that area?

McZag
03-06-2007, 10:49 AM
I mean, it's a well known fact that having money means instant basketball success. Everyone realizes that having great locker rooms, new facilities, and endorsement deals breeds instant winning. Just look at Oregon Football. Can anyone doubt the greatness of Oregon football? Those new uniforms they got a few years back really did the trick. They've won the national championship every year since havent they? And how bout their new locker rooms. That translates immediately to wins. Look this isnt rocket science. Winning is just much, much, easier with money. So many examples. U of Michigan - money has helped them for years. UNLV - money ensured them long-term success. U of Miami, SMU, Minnesota, Duke Lacrosse, the list goes on and on. The more money you have the more you win.

What more can be done in the WCC? There's no money. Surely you can't continue to go to the NCAA's every year winning the conference tourney. Its only happened 7 out of the last 8 tries. Surely you cant win tournament games. Only 4 S16's in 8 years. I dont even know why we play basketball at Gonzaga. We really can't keep hoping to win without money. ;)

sullyzag66
03-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Canzano needs to keep his hands off Josh's stash.

From his article:

It was Gonzaga 77, Santa Clara 68 on Monday. Also, there was a lot of understandable, nervous chatter among loyal Bulldogs fans, who preoccupied themselves during timeouts by scanning the crowd for Kilkenny in what went down as a life-sized game of "Where's Waldo?"

Laughable. I'm a loyal Bulldog fan, who sat among other loyal Bulldog fans, and the only nervious chatter was whether the game might go into overtime.

jayray
03-06-2007, 10:53 AM
What would Oregon be able to realistically offer in terms of job acheivement that Few could not do at Gonzaga?

Nada - unless he was to use it as some sort of bizarre stepping-stone job to coaching UNC (or other actual "prestige" school) or something like that.

Money & Family. You have to figure there is a price for anything. It would seem even Few would have a price.

HillBillyZag
03-06-2007, 10:56 AM
I have no idea about Mark Few lusting after the Oregon job, and he seems happy where he is, but the truth is, its the system that makes Gonzaga tick, and if Mark ever leaves, the system will survive. Bill Grier is ready for a head Coaching job, and I have every reason to believe the Gonzaga program would not suffer major damage if Coach Few would depart.

23dpg
03-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Tuesday's column is on the relationship between Gonzaga coach Mark Few and Oregon athletic director Pat Kilkenny. After the Zags WCC Conference championship victory at the Chiles Center, Few told me that he met Kilkenny 18 years ago through former Oregon and Gonzaga coach Don Monson.

Then, Few told me that he and Kilkenny are best friends. There's been a lot of talk about this relationship, and how it might play out as the Ducks build their new arena and plot the course of the future of the basketball program in Eugene.

Nebraska fired Frank Solich after he went 9-3. Cincinnati simply told Bob Huggins, "we want to go in a new direction..." despite him averaging 23 victories a season. Keep an especially close eye on Kilkenny's group, and Few, and the fate of the Ducks this postseason.

Zags fans aren't going to like this, but I believe Few has done just about everything he can do playing in a mid-major conference. He's my bet to open the arena in Eugene, whenever that is.

former1dog
03-06-2007, 11:00 AM
This has all the flavor of one of those 1950's horror movie titles -

THE TOPIC THAT WOULD NOT DIE!

:lmao:

UberZagFan
03-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Fretting Gonzaga fans will tell you that they've just completed a $150 million fundraising campaign that will help build 10 new buildings, including a 6,000-seat basketball arena. And Oregon fans will tell you, "Pffft, $150 million? That's a locker room."

Moronic.

gamagin
03-06-2007, 11:09 AM
is available for this job. do the math.

xjzico
03-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I really liked this:

Basically, what's left for Few to do at Gonzaga?

Maybe win the whole thing?

SintoZag
03-06-2007, 11:15 AM
I had always heard that Few did not get along with anyone at U of O, let alonthe the AD.

I have also heard Phil Knight has been cracking heads in the back rooms of the U of O to ensure the new Arena will cost $250 million and not $150 million. I can attest the Virginia's new $150+ million arena is dam nice. I am not sure what a more expesive one would look like. Maybe it would be solid gold. I guess Few would leave for that.

If he did not leave for the UCLA job there is no way he will leave for the U of O job.

ZaggyStardust
03-06-2007, 11:19 AM
I certainly know nothing about the "players" in this scenario, but I do know one thing..... Coach Few has gushed about this team, about the utter satisfaction their success this year has brought him, he has openly hugged his players with emotion typically reserved for more private venues. I highly doubt he would abandon these guys along with the most coveted recruiting class in Zag's history for the promise of a new arena in Oregon. He just doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. His guys have laid it all out on the line for him this year - he certainly is not one to thumb his nose at that level of commitment.

In the book Tales from the Gonzaga Hardwood, there is a piece about the time WA was interested in him (prior to hiring Romar). He was seriously considering it and was walking around campus with his assistants and ran into a couple of the team and said something to the effect of "what about them - if I leave, it wouldn't be fair to them" that is the point he decided to politely decline the WA job. You can't tell me he was closer to that team than he is to this one - where all the players are there because of him. This rumor just doesn't hold water IMHO....

SleepyPigs
03-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Exactly Sully. Canzano frequently makes stuff up/stretches the truth to enhance his articles. 99%+ of the GU fans at the game couldn't pick Kilkenny out of a lineup.

GoZags
03-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Let's see. Fewie's two best friends are currently unemployed, recently fired basketball coaches. One of his key mentors went through as painful an experience as is possible in the coaching ranks.

He knows all about the money part of the equation. He also knows what comes with it. If he somehow forgets, he can always ask Ray, Dan or Don.

ZaginLaw
03-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Few must be tired of coaching in March. 9 times in a row going to the Big Dance is way too much stress and pressure. He needs a rest from coaching so I think he should go to Oregon. That way he can only go to the Big Dance once every 4 or 5 years.

CDC84
03-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Zags fans aren't going to like this, but I believe Few has done just about everything he can do playing in a mid-major conference.

You might want to avoid mentioning this to the top 10 recruiting class that's coming in next year...much less Bouldin, Pargo, Downs and all the other major talent that's returning. In the words of Robert Sacre, "I'm not leaving without a national title."

We have not seen the best of what Gonzaga has to offer yet. If Josh and Theo can get their act in gear, you will see a team on the floor next season that will bear no resemblance to Zag teams of the past in terms of athleticism and talent. The key will be getting them to play together like the team we saw last night. That's the challenge for the coaching staff. If they can do that.....look out.

tyra
03-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey CDC, your last comment is why you are a "super" moderator. If next year's team can "gel", it will be a sight to behold. There is more talent and athleticism coming our way than ever before.

AllezZags
03-06-2007, 02:42 PM
I normally enjoy his provocative writing (as entertainment, not hard news). he is doing what he is paid to do.

In this case, however, he appears to be making the "Few to Oregon" rumor his personal crusade. He wants so badly to find an angle here, he is willing to use rumor (his own) and conjecture (again, his own) and make it appear as though it is factual. Many of the myopic Dux fans around here are totally believing it- I cannot tell you how many have confronted me on this issue since Canzano started his crusade.

Nonsense.

CDC84
03-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Thank you Tyra for recognizing the IF in my statement.

There are no guarantees. None. There is a big difference between making an IF statement and making a flat out prediction. With the amount of talent that GU will have next year, the staff and players might have their toughest job ever....keeping everyone happy, incorporating Josh and Theo back into the mix, and keeping the team focused on one goal. It won't be easy.

bulldogjoe
03-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Five postseason appearances. A Pac-10 title and a Pac-10 tournament title. The NCAA Elite Eight. Two NIT Final Fours. Three NBA First Round Draft choices.

In just eight years, 2002 Pac-10 Coach of the Year Ernie Kent has taken the University of Oregon to heights not seen since Basketball Hall of Famer Howard Hobson was the Tall Firsí head coach.

He is the only man to have led Oregon to three NCAA Tournament appearances, as well as Pac-10 regular season and tournament titles.

He is the only coach in the Northwest to take his team to the NCAA Elite 8 this decade.

He is a combined 49-13 versus all teams in the Pacific Northwest, including a 35-11 mark against Pac-10 rivals Oregon State, Washington and Washington State.

His eight wins over UCLA are twice as many as any other Oregon coach and represent a third of Oregonís all-time wins (24) against the most storied program in the nation.

His 149 wins rank fourth all-time at Oregon.

He has granted Oregon a place on the national and international basketball landscape through his involvement with USA Basketball, winning a pair of gold medals in 2001 and 2003.

In addition to his 2002 league coach of the year honors, the NABC, USBWA and Basketball Times all recognized him as their district coach of the year, and he was one of 20 Naismith Coach of the Year finalists.

Overall, Oregon averages nearly 20 wins per season under Kent and has sent four players into the NBA Draft.

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=4293&SPID=235&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=22304&Q_SEASON=2006

Ernie Kent will take UO back to the Tournament this year. Why in the world would Few take a job where success is not enough to keep you off the hot seat?

Ray Giacoletti.
Dan Monson.
Don Monson.

Sorry John...I don't buy your hype.

Asotin
03-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Bulldogjoe Kent's potential firing has nothing to do with on court performance. Viva la Mexico.

VanZagar
03-07-2007, 08:16 AM
The mere fact that Kent would be fired after enjoying a good tenure shows how high the bar has been raised at Oregon. The money might be good but the expectations are very high and the competition is tough. One 19 win season and you'd be on the bubble yourself.

Asotin
03-07-2007, 08:19 AM
19 wins would only put you on the bubble if you like infidelity, anchor women and Mexico (on the schools dime), all while preaching/yelling about morals and standards. People hate hypocrites.

bulldogjoe
03-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Bulldogjoe Kent's potential firing has nothing to do with on court performance. Viva la Mexico.

I assume you're referring to his alleged affair? If it were really an issue UO would have canned him in 2005 or 2006. If the Ducks hadn't missed the tournament a couple of years there wouldn't be any talk of a new coach.

mdZag23
03-07-2007, 10:12 AM
There is obviously something going on behind the scenes down in Eugene and it stinks!

The question that I think needs to be asked on this topic and I'm assuming that there may be some legitimacy to the rumor mill is "can the people pushing for the removal of Ernie convince the University to can him with the fairly impressive amount of success that he has had?"

My next question is "why is Ernie putting up with this crap?" I think a lot of coaches would move on if their situation was similar.

It is clear there are some hard feelings between Mark Few and the UofO and it would absolutely floor me if he made the move. Furthermore, if they were to fire Ernie it would send a very clear and very negative message to Mark Few that there is very little commitment and integrity within that Alumni Group and that University.