PDA

View Full Version : GU vs G'town?

BBskorer
04-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Yep, shoulda happened last month.

But the possibility's still there. Georgetown replaces Memphis in the Old Spice Classic (http://www.oldspiceclassic.com/field08.html).

And since TBA pairings won't stop me from creating my own:

Gonzaga vs Maryland
Georgetown vs Wichita State

Bottom
Tennessee vs Oklahoma State
Michigan State vs Siena

(I don't know all the teams' situations - just know the Zags and Vols should be in opposite halves)

Road to the 'ship: Terps, Hoyas, Spartans.

That's my call.

Yours?

exiledhusky
04-29-2008, 12:43 AM
GU and GT, now that is a game worth getting excited about. Both are returning serious talent, and GT's incoming are impressive. That's before mentioning the Few vs. JT III matchup. Nice.

cjm720
04-29-2008, 06:54 AM
Maryland should be solid next year too. That's gonna be a heck of a tourney.

hockeyzag
04-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Pretty cool that we're the first Big West team to play in this tourney.

SWZag, the link had "Big West", instead of WCC. Now it looks like they've changed it to WCC at the top but haven't yet changed the sentence. Still says we are the first Big West team to play in the tourney.

I was using sarcasm.

SWZag
04-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Pretty cool that we're the first Big West team to play in this tourney.

Umm...you mean WCC team right? Or maybe, Big West Coast team? :)

GU and GT, now that is a game worth getting excited about.

I personally think EVERY GU game is worth getting excited for, but that aside, that will be one exciting tourney. Hopefully OKST will pick it up again in the near future.

SWZag

NEZAGFAN
04-29-2008, 07:56 AM

I personally think EVERY GU game is worth getting excited for, but that aside, that will be one exciting tourney. Hopefully OKST will pick it up again in the near future.

SWZag

Are you referring to the All College Classic that ususally takes place in Oklahoma City? I though I heard we were locked in that tourney for two more years when I attended this past year. Could of been misinformed though.

CDC84
04-29-2008, 08:06 AM
The Siena Saints, who knocked out Stanford during the regular season and Vandy in the NCAA tournament, return every single player from this past year's team except one. Their top 4 scorers, including 3 guys who averaged 15.1, 16.1 and 17.0 points per game, will be back.

They are not going to be a fun team for anyone to play.

I know Michigan State lost some people including Neitzel, but their best players on last year's team were their young guys. Oklahoma State should be improved as well. It's a very solid field. Not sure how Gregg Marshall's bunch at Wichita State will be. I do know that whatever team he puts on the floor will be exceedingly well coached.

SWZag
04-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Are you referring to the All College Classic that ususally takes place in Oklahoma City? I though I heard we were locked in that tourney for two more years when I attended this past year. Could of been misinformed though.

I believe you are referring to my "Pick it up in the near future." I was talking about their basketball team "picking it up." :)

ZagNative
04-29-2008, 08:56 AM
From the Terps' board (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=174#s=174&f=2580&t=2419633):
Gonzaga would actually be a really interesting matchup for us...they return everyone from a 25-8 year except pendergraft...our weakness inside might not hurt as much against them, because they didn't have a single guy who averaged 5 rebounds or more last year. I'd like to see that first round game.
Gonzaga...always a good team
Tennessee...coming off of a great season and a Sweet 16 and a contender
Georgetown...great name and coming off of a good season...contender
Michigan State...perennial power

Okla State can get into anywhere they want, they're rich

Siena...could give a good game to a big school but probably will lay down
Wichita State...same as Siena

Maryland....a program that has sucked since a national championship

one of them isn't quite like the otherWorth noting the last poster was not necessarily reflecting the consensus of the board concerning the Terps, but if we think some here have been negative this off-season, that Terps board should put things in perspective a little bit.

I like the way we've played against Maryland in the past. It's not too early to be giving some thought to deciding who is going to be theZag hair poster boy, since we lost this guy a few years ago, after his hair was all the buzz when we beat Maryland 82-68 at the BB&T Classic December 6, 2003.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Turiaf/Clipboard01.jpg

Jeremy knows Maryland, from Maui November 21, 2005 (Zags won 88-76)

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/galleries/m_baskbl_112105b/gonz-um4-lg.jpg

exiledhusky
04-29-2008, 12:13 PM

SWZag

Nah, the way the media has saturated the market with college hoops, it's getting harder and harder for me to get excited about my favorite teams playing the gimmes.

Game like this, it has an interesting twist, NBA talent, couple future HOF coaches in the making. Far cry from the Zags rolling in to roll over Peperdine.

thespywhozaggedme
04-29-2008, 12:38 PM
GU and GT, now that is a game worth getting excited about. Both are returning serious talent, and GT's incoming are impressive. That's before mentioning the Few vs. JT III matchup. Nice.

What does Georgia Tech have to do with this? ;)
Technically it would be GU vs GU.

sonuvazag
04-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Hoyas vs. Zags... there's some difference there.

exiledhusky
04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Sorry, my Big East nomenclature is taking over. We often use GT for Georgetown on those blogs, least when it's with the UConn guys.

exiledhusky
04-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Hoyas vs. Zags... there's some difference there.

Yeah, if this game happens. GT (Georgetown) is a more up and down the court team with a touch of backdoor, without the slow footed Hibbert in the game. Prime time ESPN matchup for sure.

Zerogame
04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3373898

ESPN announcement of classic.

heavyzag
04-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Old Spice Classic
November 27-30, 2008

Thank you for your inquiry regarding
the Old Spice Classic.

Packages are NOW AVAILABLE!

For more information or to make your reservations,
please visit AnthonyTravel.com and search "Old Spice"
or call (888) 632-6951 to speak with a sports travel expert.