PDA

View Full Version : Thabeet returning to UConn

Qhall43
04-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Looks like we'll get to match up with the big fella again next year...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3370527

Just A Zag
04-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Good decision. He gets immensely better after every year.

ZagNative
04-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Obviously, Calhoun knows what he's doing. I thought he was just merciless with those kids after we beat them, but I guess he knew the hand he was dealt and played it just right ... I was going to say "except for that first round loss to Billy Grier in the NCAA tournament" but my smart-alecky son would greet that retort with a one-word phrase: "Kettle," on both counts - losing to BG's team in an important game and taking an early exit at the Dance.

Birddog
04-28-2008, 04:57 AM
That is bad news for the headline writers, they already had it set up.

THABEET GOES ON

Apologies to all

Rangerzag
04-28-2008, 05:00 AM
That is bad news for the headline writers, they already had it set up.

THABEET GOES ON

Apologies to all

Nice smile on a Monday morning. It'll get a posirep once the man lets me up.

exiledhusky
04-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Looks like we'll get to match up with the big fella again next year...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3370527

Well, I'll give him credit for being smarter than I thought he is. Many of us figured he would split for the $. With absolutely no offense to his game, it's beginning to look as though he will be a four year player. He didn't test the NBA without an agent which leaves that option open for him next year.

UConn's defense is simple, it's designed to funnel the ball into the paint where Thabeet will meet and greet. The way to beat that is to go in there when you're ready via the back door cut keeping his back to the ball. It works.

exiledhusky
04-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Well, I'll give him credit for being smarter than I thought he is. Many of us figured he would split for the $. With absolutely no offense to his game, it's beginning to look as though he will be a four year player. He didn't test the NBA without an agent which leaves that option open for him next year.

UConn's defense is simple, it's designed to funnel the ball into the paint where Thabeet will meet and greet. The way to beat that is to go in there when you're ready via the back door cut keeping his back to the ball. It works.

All that said, Thabeet is not the key to beating them in Seattle. Calhoun is bringing a much more talented team to Seattle than the one you saw in Boston, newcomers are five stars Majok, Miles and Walker to go with a Rashad Anderson type three threat named Haralson.

Walker, Miles will probably have starting roles after cup cake season, not sure when the Seattle game is scheduled. Walker and his pure point skills represent a serious upgrade to Price at that position, however, he is a freshman and a seasoned guard such as Pargo should be able to rattle him.

Gone are Wiggins, Kelly thus far and at least one more will go soon. My guess is Robinson or Dyson. Majok is a versatile 3 and 4 forward with immeadiate impact projections, Miles a versatile 2 / 3 swingman is also projected as an immeadiate impact player. Both players will considerably reduce Robinson's minutes. Same for Dyson, who will see a significantly reduced role with Price taking the bulk of the minutes at the 2 and Miles taking up most of what is left.

In any event, at least one more has to go. UConn has offered five scholarships, five have been accepted and they have but four open. My hunch as to which one, Robinson goes.