View Full Version : Mr. Bol Kong highlights

GSL-KID
04-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Rob's in this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0CdfUa-qA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hLw1xhJYMs

Zerogame
04-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Few fishes the Columbia near Northport, hmm, wonder if he could sneak him across?
:D

Rubbadub
04-26-2008, 11:21 PM
First Bol Kong thread I could find...

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=4952

Vanzagger
04-27-2008, 11:17 AM
reminds me of Bird. Looks like has a nice touch from inside and out.

ZagNative
04-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Oh, boy ... I've got to wonder if this young man will end up in a state with a congressional delegation the same color as the current administration's, i.e., "red." Looks like the hold up is in the State Dept. and the AG's office in D.C., as they are the ones with authority to issue visas for folks with Sudanese citizenship. I wonder what kind of magic Cathy McMorris could work in Washington, D.C.

MDABE80
04-27-2008, 11:37 AM
I'll ask her ZN...tomorrow I'll ask her;)

ZagNative
04-27-2008, 11:40 AM
You need to do that, Abe. You really do. Quick, before Orin Hatch gets on the job for Utah.

Law Zag In Training
04-27-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't get it. I thought the Zags were not recruiting this kid, is Few trying to get him now?

Also, I am not sure we need another wing player. I think it's been pounded to death we need a banger downlow or a polished back to the basket player. A player with his overlapping skillset would not be as much of an addition.

I would like to see how he fairs against some better competition. The "Bigs" he is playing against (minus Rob in one quick clip) are shorter than he is and also less atheltic overall. The guards he plays against are smaller as well. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying he is not a good player but those highlight clips can be decieving --- it is fairly easy to string some highlights together. In fact, PMAC's highschool highlight clip was much more impressive. I'd like to see how he rebounds when he has to fight for it every time, or how hard he plays plays on D each time down the floor.

Those are just my concerns. I am welcome open to other evaluations of him if they have them.

Rangerzag
04-27-2008, 01:03 PM
It is pretty plain it will take "an act of God and Congress" to get him a visa to play for at the collegiate level.

Do the same regulations restrict his entering the US for a short term. The question that gets to is this:

Has Bol played AAU ball in the US? If he can't get here enough to play AAU ball that would put his development at a distinct disadvantage.

ZagNative
04-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Boy, I'm hiding under the bed when I hear spywozaggedme's car in the driveway! I don't want to see the carnage when he confronts the doubters!

Scotto
04-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Against US schools earlier this year Bol played very well.

Idaho 19 pts 5 rebs.
Boise St. 33 pts 5 rebs 6 ast.
Marqutte 23 pts 3 rebs
Oklahoma 14 pts 5 rebs
UCSB 8 pts 5 rebs

pbriz
04-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Against US schools earlier this year Bol played very well.

Idaho 19 pts 5 rebs.
Boise St. 33 pts 5 rebs 6 ast.
Marqutte 23 pts 3 rebs
Oklahoma 14 pts 5 rebs
UCSB 8 pts 5 rebs

so against the three very good teams (Boise St., Marquette, Oklahoma) he averaged 23pts/game......

he is a special player/prospect.

BobZag
04-27-2008, 02:02 PM
I think it's been pounded to death we need a banger downlow or a polished back to the basket player.

Anyone say we aren't getting one? ;)

dim4sum
04-27-2008, 02:33 PM
If King-dom comes, pure shooters such as Gray and Daye can count on doing their thing without the distraction of having to board. It goes without saying that the need to play d is not in any way diminished. Especially on Gray's part, who got burned by Curry and others. However, lots of what King does, and I've seen him once, could be done by Josh, if he ever plays to the potential that Billy Packer and others think he has, had or will have.

pbriz
04-27-2008, 02:37 PM
If King-dom comes, pure shooters such as Gray and Daye can count on doing their thing without the distraction of having to board. It goes without saying that the need to play d is not in any way diminished. Especially on Gray's part, who got burned by Curry and others. However, lots of what King does, and I've seen him once, could be done by Josh, if he ever plays to the potential that Billy Packer and others think he has, had or will have.

I agree with your overall view, but to say Gray isn't a good defender based on the Davidson game is flawed. Gray actually played tight D against Curry, yet that team runs screens all day for him and he naturally fades away from the basket on his release. Gray is actually one of our better defenders in my opinion.

BobZag
04-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Kong is legit but I never thought he'd obtain his visa to ever play here or anywhere else in the States. Hopefully that will happen for him soon.

Here are some game pics and box scores:

http://www.douglas.bc.ca/csrw/athletics/mbbnews/mbb.html

He's a natural scorer, a good shooter, good handles with either hand, rebounds well, has real nice athleticism, is long, "spidery," and can play lockdown D, he plays hard... Kinda reminds me of a Quincy Pondexter.

Pendo has graduated, LG will be transferring, and Micah and possibly (though hopefully not) Austin will graduate/leave after next year, leaving Gonzaga with how many wings?

"KONG!" (i could say that all day)

Rangerzag
04-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Anyone say we aren't getting one? ;)

Nothing quite like what people DON'T say. ;)

AND what they do (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showpost.php?p=216381&postcount=16):

Pendo has graduated, LG will be transferring,

BobZag
04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Hypothetically speaking, of course.

CDC84
04-27-2008, 05:36 PM
It has always been the staff's intention to bring in another wing player in the 2008 class. The Jeff Taylor thing didn't work out, so other options are being explored. This is hardly a surprise. See the recent Serbian recruit, etc.

Kong reminds me a bit of a fellow Sudanese basketball player....Luol Deng. He's a couple of inches shorter than Luol, but he has the same kind of body and wingspan. Not saying he is Luol, of course.

It is worth reminding people about the deceiving nature of basketball highlight videos...especially when it comes to Canadian prospects. The videos should be used as nothing more than a guide to the kinds of skills and athleticism that a player might bring to the table against high level D-1 competition.

Another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfB-K-we1Sw&feature=related

He's clearly skilled. He has a low release release on his long range jumper. If you go to the 1:13 mark in the video above, Kong puts up and sinks a Kobe Bryant style turnaround jumper. Needless to say, he can't elevate like Kobe and doesn't have his touch, but it's a move that he has in his tool box that gets mentioned in various articles because not many wing players have it down like that.

TM27
04-27-2008, 06:34 PM
It is worth reminding people about the deceiving nature of basketball highlight videos...especially when it comes to Canadian prospects. The videos should be used as nothing more than a guide to the kinds of skills and athleticism that a player might bring to the table against high level D-1 competition.

Case in point....PMAC's highlight reel... still one of the best I have ever seen.... 'sigh'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjLj8LoHAC0

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I watch that PMac vid and wonder what happened? I'm literally incredulous as to the rapid decline in his play and confidence. As far as BK his jumper is very similar to DRav's and his athleticism is as good as I've said. If it does happen I accept public apologies or mea culpa's via pm, for the more introverted apologizer. :D I also make a mean Crow l'Orange. :D

ZagNut08
04-27-2008, 07:54 PM
If someone had all the gametape/time/video software I'm sure they could make a pretty nasty highlight real of his time at gonzaga.

azzagfan
04-28-2008, 04:22 PM
It has always been the staff's intention to bring in another wing player in the 2008 class. The Jeff Taylor thing didn't work out, so other options are being explored. This is hardly a surprise. See the recent Serbian recruit, etc.

Kong reminds me a bit of a fellow Sudanese basketball player....Luol Deng. He's a couple of inches shorter than Luol, but he has the same kind of body and wingspan. Not saying he is Luol, of course.

Another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfB-K-we1Sw&feature=related

He's clearly skilled. He has a low release release on his long range jumper. If you go to the 1:13 mark in the video above, Kong puts up and sinks a Kobe Bryant style turnaround jumper. Needless to say, he can't elevate like Kobe and doesn't have his touch, but it's a move that he has in his tool box that gets mentioned in various articles because not many wing players have it down like that.

I think the numbers that Kong put up against D-1 teams this year are reflective of the potential as those were guys weren't even Canadian (sarcasm).

I think with all high school highlight videos, Canadian or not, we can say the same thing. I doubt Ammo's highlights against North Central were indicative of how he'd do in D-1, and I'd imagine that's the same whether the kid plays in Portland, Seattle or Vancouver (B.C. that is).

CDC84
04-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I
think with all high school highlight videos, Canadian or not, we can say the same thing. I doubt Ammo's highlights against North Central were indicative of how he'd do in D-1, and I'd imagine that's the same whether the kid plays in Portland, Seattle or Vancouver (B.C. that is).

The majority of the kids that are playing against Kong in those highlight videos are so inferior to him, physically and skill wise, that it's almost laughable. They aren't even in the same realm. That would not be the case if Kong played in Seattle's Metro League, for instance, which generates multiple D-1 players and occasional Burger Boys. Even a guy like Steven Gray, who dominated that league for 2 years, had to work to score points far more than Kong is in those videos. I don't think all highlight films are exactly equal due to the varying levels of competition, but yes, they are all to be taken with a grain of salt.

thespywhozaggedme
04-28-2008, 07:47 PM
I

The majority of the kids that are playing against Kong in those highlight videos are so inferior to him, physically and skill wise, that it's almost laughable. They aren't even in the same realm. That would not be the case if Kong played in Seattle's Metro League, for instance, which generates multiple D-1 players and occasional Burger Boys. Even a guy like Steven Gray, who dominated that league for 2 years, had to work to score points far more than Kong is in those videos. I don't think all highlight films are exactly equal due to the varying levels of competition, but they are all to be taken with a grain of salt.

Which makes it even more impressive that he dropped close to 40 on Boise.

SWZag
04-29-2008, 08:09 AM
It's talked about how good he is, and I highly don't doubt that, especially looking at his highlight videos. But I would like to say that if a player would be a dominate player on a D1 team, especially a GU-like team, it seems like he would lead any team to victory at the JC/CC ranks. Granted, there are many JC/CC schools that would beat many D1 teams on any given night. But the league he plays in in Canada is not what you call a powerhouse conference. They played two NWAACC schools (Seattle and Everett) and got blasted in the game vs. Seattle (85-49). Seattle won three games all year.

I know he's only going to be a frosh, and I know he can grow and be a great player, which I think he has the talent for. He did show he could play against D1 schools and that is enlightening. Hopefully we can get him, although other threads mentioned his grades, which concerns me. Let hope he can pick those up. Would like to see him in a GU uni!

SWZag

BobZag
04-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Valid points, SW. Please note that Bol did not play in those two games because he was not allowed into this country. Just fyi is all.