PDA

View Full Version : OT-Corey Violette in D-League final--currently airing

sullyzag66
04-25-2008, 06:13 PM
NBA channel, 601 on DirecTV, is airing the D-League final between Austin Toros (coached by Quinn Snyder) and Idaho Stampede, featuring Cory Violette. He's the leading scorer with 13 points in the first quarter. Idaho currently up 33-24 with 8:22 to go in first half.

ZagNative
04-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up Sully! I just tuned in to NBA TV on Comcast #416 in Spokane, in time to see Cory heave up that miracle three.

sullyzag66
04-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Cory just threw up a 35-foot prayer that banked in for 3 with less than a second left in the third period to put Idaho up by 12.

ZagNative
04-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Congrats to Cory, D-League Champions!

zagco
04-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Cory gets lots of publicity down here in Boise, being a former Bishop Kelly Knight. He sure seems a lot more "cut" than he was at Gonzaga, which is yet another example of Zagco's general concers about our strength and conditioning program. Pargo's got a clearly impressive physique, and so did Casey Calvary, but Zagco overall has sometimes wondered if we need an upgrade with our whole approach to it.

vandalzag
04-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Zagco may want to ask Zagco to compare what Cory looked like his Freshman year to his Senior year. Zagco may than be able to tell Zagco that his using Cory as an example of the strength program not working is off base. If that does not help Zagco to convince Zagco, he may want to compare Ronny from his freshman year to senior year. That should help Zagco to change Zagco's mind.

RenoZag
04-26-2008, 07:14 AM
STORY LINK (http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/362728.html)

There was Cory Violette, who fell one rebound short of posting a double-double in all three Finals games.

Violette has won a championship in Boise before - when he was a sophomore at Bishop Kelly High.

"It gets better and better the older you get, especially when you get paid a little bit of money to do it," said Violette, who had 20 points, nine rebounds and hit a prayer from deep in 3-point territory that went in as the buzzer sounded to end the third quarter.

ZagNative
04-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Zagco may want to ask Zagco to compare what Cory looked like his Freshman year to his Senior year. Zagco may than be able to tell Zagco that his using Cory as an example of the strength program not working is off base. If that does not help Zagco to convince Zagco, he may want to compare Ronny from his freshman year to senior year. That should help Zagco to change Zagco's mind.VandalZag is observing a phenomenon of this year's Zag fan base, at least as reflected here on guboards, where any remotely optimistic post must be responded to with a " .... yes, but ...," except without the "yes."

No positive post goes unpunished here, after a loss in the first round of the NCAA tourney, as we seem unable to find our bearings and look forward to the coming year, notwithstanding a 25-7 record and a season where we were often ranked in the polls.

Back in the day, a Sports Illustrated story in the November 25, 2002, issue (http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1027581/index.htm), cited Cory as a sort of poster boy for Gonzaga's ability to develop unheralded players:

Violette, who went unrecruited by most bigger schools as a high school senior but has become a Wooden Award candidate heading into this season, is a poster boy for the Zags' improbable rise to prominence. Knowing that his school can't match the heavyweights in recruiting, Few has looked to sign second-tier players who have a strong desire to improve. "We demand a lot here in terms of individual player development," says Few. "If a kid has ability and really buys into getting better, the sky is the limit."
The young man looks pretty "cut" here, going up against Nevada March 20, 2004:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Others/2004-03-20-CoryvNevada2ndRoundNCAA.jpg

If Zagco has any information at all about what kind of strength and conditioning program Gonzaga runs and what might be its strengths and weaknesses, I think we'd all love to hear some specifics. Otherwise, the continual questioning of all things Zag seems odd and troubling to this fan.

But wait, where's the guy who has "issues" with the Zags nutrition program, despite the fact the only thing for sure that seems to be known about what and how Zag players eat has to do with the fact that Jeremy Pargo (reportedly) loves cheeseburgers.

Once and Future Zag
04-26-2008, 10:55 AM
So the question is - could Boise (D-League champs) beat Miami (worst in the NBA) in a best of 7 series?

Seattle_Zag
04-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Zagco may want to ask Zagco to compare what Cory looked like his Freshman year to his Senior year. Zagco may than be able to tell Zagco that his using Cory as an example of the strength program not working is off base. If that does not help Zagco to convince Zagco, he may want to compare Ronny from his freshman year to senior year. That should help Zagco to change Zagco's mind.

This is the best post I have seen on here in a long time. It is a perfect blend of mocking an egotistical poster while making a great point about our fanbase. Thank you as well, ZagNative, for putting it into perspective.

ZagCo, are players not allowed to develop once they leave our school? Is the end of college the end of their careers? No, they keep working and building up their bodies. Violette has been out of college for a long time now. What the hell do you expect?

Honestly, it seems lately there are very few regular posters who contribute anything positive to this board. ZagNative is one of the great posters here who help keep things in balance/perspective.

Great post, vandalzag.

Rangerzag
04-26-2008, 01:12 PM
All this time the entire world figured the mark of "Z" stood for Zorro.

Any who can weigh the obvious now clearly see it is the mark of

ZAGNATIVE

Well done, ZN !!

KSTATEZAG
04-26-2008, 02:00 PM

While I do agree with VandalZag.
I disagree with those attacking Zagco.
Zagco's been a solid contributor and generally has good posts.
And while I disagree with him on this occasion I'm not ready to personally attack him (i,e: "egotistical poster").
This is a forum, it's based on opinions, if you don't like it argue it constructively instead of "bashing".
Let the neg rep begin...

ZagNative
04-26-2008, 03:24 PM
While I do agree with VandalZag.
I disagree with those attacking Zagco.
Zagco's been a solid contributor and generally has good posts.
And while I disagree with him on this occasion I'm not ready to personally attack him (i,e: "egotistical poster").
This is a forum, it's based on opinions, if you don't like it argue it constructively instead of "bashing".
Let the neg rep begin...And who, exactly, is "attacking" Zagco? Zagco's response to a positive thread about how well Cory performed for the Stampede was to raise questions about the Zags strength and conditioning program, with no substantiation provided for his concerns.

Zagco is not alone in reflecting what seems to be a loss of confidence and optimism among Gonzaga fans. It seems almost to have become the fashion to be critical, as if it were ďsmart.Ē

If we hope to get any recruits like Anthony Marshall, we just have to hope and pray that they donít stumble on this board, because, Iím convinced, we have become our own worst enemy here. No where else do I read the negative stuff about the program I read on this board.

Maybe Iím naive, but I believe that what Coach Few said in that story linked above is true until proven untrue, with hard facts and not vague inuendo:

"We demand a lot here in terms of individual player development," says Few. "If a kid has ability and really buys into getting better, the sky is the limit."
The sky is the limit, kid.

Seattle_Zag
04-26-2008, 03:32 PM
And who, exactly, is "attacking" Zagco? Zagco's response to a positive thread about how well Cory performed for the Stampede was to raise questions about the Zags strength and conditioning program, with no substantiation provided for his concerns.

Zagco is not alone in reflecting what seems to be a loss of confidence and optimism among Gonzaga fans. It seems almost to have become the fashion to be critical, as if it were ďsmart.Ē

If we hope to get any recruits like Anthony Marshall, we just have to hope and pray that they donít stumble on this board, because, Iím convinced, we have become our own worst enemy here. No where else do I read the negative stuff about the program I read on this board.

Maybe Iím naive, but I believe that what Coach Few said in that story linked above is true until proven untrue, with hard facts and not vague inuendo:

"We demand a lot here in terms of individual player development," says Few. "If a kid has ability and really buys into getting better, the sky is the limit."
The sky is the limit, kid.

I called him egotistical. I wouldn't really call that an attack, though. Very good post, ZagNative. All of this negativity towards our team is really getting old.

zagco
04-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Zagco is sad when people attack him.

Cory looks very, very cut. Having followed him for some time, his phyiscal appearance has changed most radically after Gonzaga.

Pargo appears very strong and he looks it too. Calvary could have been a defensive end with his body and strength.

Basketball lifting is different than football, but for every Calvary or Pargo, we've had guys who just don't seem to add much muscle definition. Zagco also has never heard Gonzaga tout or discuss its strength and conditioning program. He's always been very curious about it: Who runs it, what his qualifications are, what his philosophy is in terms of bread and butter lifts and exercises, and the key measurements used to ascertain progress.

Great game, by the way! Nice to have that title in Boise. We've had an awful lot of good luck and success with hockey, football, and baseball in this town, but this is a first for our basketball franchise.

ZagNative
04-26-2008, 06:32 PM
I included a bit about the Zags' strength and conditioning coach, former Zag tough guy extraordinare, Mike Nilson (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=206347#post206347), a "Where are they now?" thread a couple of weeks ago.

I'd love to know more about the strength and conditioning program and sent an e-mail this morning to Jim Meehan, suggesting that a story about that aspect of the Zags program would be timely and neat to read, especially with summer coming up. We all have big hopes for improvements players might make over the summer. What role will Mike and his team play in contributing to player development over the summer? NCAA rules allow only eight hours per week in the off-season, including only two hours per week for individual skill development, and then only if a player requests it. I wonder how the staff plans for and deals with making the most of the off season.

I wonder what would happen, Zagco, if you e-mailed Mike, told him your concerns, and asked for a tour of the facilities and some background on what they offer. Might be a really neat opportunity to get some info to us, assuming, of course, that a road trip to the 'kan would not be out of the question for you in the off-season

brian_sun
04-26-2008, 08:29 PM
I think it's just not the conditioning program. It's also the individual and whether he has the desire to hit the weight room 2 hours a day for 6 days a week while playing 2, 3 games a week. That's a lot of demand, especially for college basketball players who are also students. It's also about nutrition and life style too.

I would reserve my judgement until I see where Austin Daye is next season. Obviously, if he ever wanted to be a top 3 pick, he better hit the weight really hard this off season. If Austin Daye can develop into a Karl Malone type of body, then I would give the conditioning program all the credit in the world. Austin can do it, just look at Barry Bonds back in his rookie year in Pittsburg. So you know it's possible.

Zagco is sad when people attack him.

Cory looks very, very cut. Having followed him for some time, his phyiscal appearance has changed most radically after Gonzaga.

Pargo appears very strong and he looks it too. Calvary could have been a defensive end with his body and strength.

Basketball lifting is different than football, but for every Calvary or Pargo, we've had guys who just don't seem to add much muscle definition. Zagco also has never heard Gonzaga tout or discuss its strength and conditioning program. He's always been very curious about it: Who runs it, what his qualifications are, what his philosophy is in terms of bread and butter lifts and exercises, and the key measurements used to ascertain progress.

Great game, by the way! Nice to have that title in Boise. We've had an awful lot of good luck and success with hockey, football, and baseball in this town, but this is a first for our basketball franchise.

ZagNative
04-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I assume Brian's tongue is firmly planted in his cheek, setting up a Karl-Malone-type physique for Austin Daye as a measure of success for the Zags conditioning program.

If not, got a job for you, Brian: You find me a pic of what Karl Malone looked like the start of his sophomore season, how much he weighed, how closely he resembled Austin Daye, and how much he weighed and what he looked like when he left Louisiana Tech, and maybe I'll take you seriously.

For now, expecting a guy with Austin Daye's physique to turn into a Karl Malone clone is just plain silly. The comparison most often drawn to Austin by knowledgeable talent evaluators is Tayshaun Prince, a much more realistic and attainable goal in terms of a role model for Austin.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Other%20Teams/Tayshaun_Prince.jpg

brian_sun
04-27-2008, 12:32 AM
ZagNative: I was tongue in cheek. Zagco isn't going to be satisfied until Daye becomes some kind of physical speciman. And without the help of steroids, I don't see it's possible. Actually, that's why you see some of the best trainers in the business are also known steroid dealers. I am not saying Karl took steroids or anything. But he did look much bigger after he went to the NBA. Here is the only picture I could find for him in Louisana Tech.

brian_sun
04-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Oops, trying it again.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog2/uploaded_images/karlmalone-779851.jpg

Rangerzag
04-27-2008, 05:11 AM
that's why you see some of the best trainers in the business are also known steroid dealers.

I doubt that statement would find universal agreement. To the contrary lots would actually find the two conditions mutually exclusive.

zagco
04-27-2008, 08:13 AM
It's to be expected that when a true freshman plays, you really can't expect much. With redshirts, which seem far and few in college hoops anymore, you should expect them to have hit the weights hard. Malone's body was pretty clearly the kind that was going to be grown into the specimen it pretty quickly became. Daye is probably destined to be more of a Prince type. Still, you can see the definition and strength in thin players. There's no question he needs to add a lot of strength to his game, but we will probably not see him become a virtual bodybuilder-esque figure like Karl Malone.

Dennis Rodman was a skinny dude, but he played as strong as anyone. Crap, he used to lift weights with Eddie Vedder at midnight!

ZagNative
04-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Enough picking on Zagco. He is a good guy and a smart poster, though given to illeism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illeism) (Zagco's in some interesting company among illeists, including Julius Caesar, Bob Dole, Charles DeGaule, and ... eh ... Geraldo Rivera...) I didn't mean to hammer him or on illeists in general but only to hammer on the point that I believe we don't need to hammer on ourselves all the time.

Back to Cory and the Gonzaga program, I was searching for a photo of Ronny as a new player and found instead this telling story (http://www.thefreelibrary.com/GONZAGA+ZIG-ZAGS+WAY+PAST+HIGH-PROFILE+TEAMS-a080789064) about the December 11, 2001, game against Jerry Tarkanian's Fresno State team (Gonzaga 87, Fresno State 77):

What's interesting about Gonzaga is that it's not living off its trip to the Elite Eight in 1999, but building off it. Gonzaga's label is that of a finesse, guard-oriented team, that can't compete inside with the nation's elite.

Try telling that to Fresno State coach Jerry Tarkanian, who watched his team - with 6-foot-10 Melvin Ely, likely a future NBA first-round pick - give up 19 offensive rebounds and get outrebounded 48-32 in an 87-77 loss at the Forum.

``They killed us on the boards,'' Tarkanian said. ``It was incredible.''

Cory Violette, a 6-8 sophomore from Boise, Idaho, scored 15 points and grabbed 20 rebounds. He followed that up with an 18-point, 13-rebound performance - his fourth double-double in five games - against Washington.

Violette is typical of many Gonzaga players - an unheralded high school player whose ability is unlocked and developed by Few and his staff. Violette, who has reshaped his body from a lumpy 270 pounds to a muscular 250, took only one other recruiting visit - to Santa Clara. Now, he looks like Mark Madsen with skills.

``I was a little underconfident,'' Violette said. ``When I came here, I thought `Here's a place where I can fit in.' When you're not as athletic as people you're playing against, you've got to find something to take that advantage away from them. Strength is one way and outworking them is another.''
Now, he is in an atmosphere - at the Jesuit school of 5,000 in Spokane, Wash. - where the collective focus is on improvement. Violette credits former Bulldogs star Casey Calvary with pushing him in practice the past two years. Few has given every player a key to the gym and at least one member of the coaching staff is available year round for individual workouts.

``Player development is our big deal,'' Few said. ``If kids come here, we tell them they'll do nothing but get better. If a kid wants to hang at the beach or with the fellas, this probably isn't the place for him. The two things we demand are you go to class and work on basketball, and that's what the guys want, too. You can't underestimate the power of peer pressure.''My mission in searching for a photo of Ronny from 2001 was unsuccessful, but I did find this interesting one from a hear later, at Maui, vs. Indiana. But you have to help me with identifying #24. Box score for the game (http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/112602aaa.html) says #24 is Kyle Bankhead. Is that what he looked like back then?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Turiaf/2002-11-22RonnyIndianaMaui.jpg

Yup. Looks like the same guy v. NC State's Julius Hodge in the Jimmy V Classic three weeks later:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Others/2002-12-17KyleNCStateJimmyVClassic.jpg