PDA

View Full Version : We should get ready for Tennessee, NOW!

Oldsport
04-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Now is the time for everyone to start discussing how and why we need to get ready for the Lady Vols,...NOW! Because there is so much to do, I request the moderators to consider a "new" forum below the women's basketball forum so we do not clog up this site. The "new" forum could be called something like "Lady Vols Visit". I expect this board of Lady Zag supporters to start up dozens of threads regarding topics on what Spokane, Gonzaga, and local girl's/women's basketball organizations could do or should do to celebrate the arrival of the Lady Lols.

I thought all we needed to do is win? That's all? NO,NO,NO (compassionate aren't I)! I doubt that there is a single one of us that doesn't dream of the improvement of fan support for women's basketball. You have heard it before, "...if only we could fill up the McCarthey Center the same as men's basketball". Tennessee could hold the key to get that kind of momentum started. Notice I said momentum because we should have no problem filling the McCarthey Center for this one game, BUT (the bigger picture) if we prepare for their visit and do it right, we could start increased interest in our Lady Zags program that could become self-sustaining. A PLUS could be a continuing of the games between the Lady Vols and Lady Zags. If it weren't for Kelly Graves, Pat Summitt and Angie & Jami Bjorklund our first meeting could have been many years into the future, if ever. Having Tennessee in Spokane is the best thing that could happen to women's basketball locally. It's currently the off-season. What a better time to get the ball rolling but right now?

If we stay healthy, I feel confidant that our coaches will have the team ready to give the Lady Vols a run for the money. I can imagine almost 10,000 screaming fans supporting the Lady Zags. Anyone that has witnessed the pregame introductions at Knoxville know that the Lady Vols are in a different world than we are. I think we could learn a lot from their fan support program. Tennessee usually fills up their 20,000 seat center for every Lady Vol's game. There has to be a reason why! Think about how we could improve our fan base. Showmanship? We have a quality team. How can GU improve fan support and how may we help?

I respect this board and value your thoughts.:)

Only the very best for our Lady Zags!:clap:

MickMick
04-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Zags are fortunate because of the recent high quality of in-state girls high school hoops. Recruiting locally while putting a very good squad on the floor will do wonders for local fan support. A deep run will garner support on a much larger scale.

BobZag
04-27-2008, 08:40 AM
One word: Win.

If you win, they will come. The year we went 29-3 the Kennel was SRO for the final home game. With savvy media hype, the Vols-Zags game should sell out.

Stereotypes need to be trashed. Many fans don't want to go to women's games because it's not like men's games. Well, duh. But from my experiences, there are many times when I enjoy watching the women more than the men. They seem to play harder more often, plus they're so fundamentally sound. But most of all, the women are just more fun to watch than the men.

Go watch one in person. You'll see what I mean.

hondo46
04-27-2008, 12:41 PM
"the women are just more fun to watch than the men" and they are much better to look at. Where were young ladies that looked like that when we were in school? Probably not on the basketball court.

heavyzag
04-30-2008, 09:56 AM
what is the date of the game?

Oldsport
04-30-2008, 12:17 PM
what is the date of the game?

I don't believe this date will be set until several months from now. I suspect the game between the Lady Vols and Lady Zags will be in mid-December, 2008 and at the McCarthey Center. This would be a great year to get your season ticket as soon as they are available, perhaps June, 2008.

Question: Is there a chance that this meeting could take place at the Spokane Veteran's Arena?

BobZag may have a better idea on the game date.