PDA

View Full Version : Tall dude in the cog

scott_fivefour
04-24-2008, 11:44 AM
While I was in the omelet line at the cog today there was a very tall individual approximately six foot eight to six foot nine inches. He had long hair and a strong eastern European accent. I didn't see where he sat down but there were multiple basketball players in the cog at the time, possibly an unknown foreign big man?

Just A Zag
04-24-2008, 11:50 AM
http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=12180

scott_fivefour
04-24-2008, 12:24 PM
There is possiblity that this is the same person but the video was crappy (no offence just a zag) and the big man in the cog didn't look much like the guy in the video. This guy looked more like a banger than luca, he had a much larger upper body and his face didn't look much like the face in the video.

pbriz
04-24-2008, 12:36 PM
http://texastech.scout.com/a.z?s=188&p=8&c=1&nid=3647668

look like him?

scott_fivefour
04-24-2008, 12:43 PM
nope, still this guy's face was much different and his hair was much lighter than either of the previous two.

Pallet
04-24-2008, 02:31 PM
The cog has an omelette bar now? Every day of the week?

BobZag
04-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Why doesn't anyone ever just approach the fella, welcome him to Spokane and Gonzaga, say, "I'm Joe Smith, what's your name?", and there you have it.

If you're brave enough to eat at the COG, you can do anything. :)

JLGutrocks
04-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Why doesn't anyone ever just approach the fella, welcome him to Spokane and Gonzaga, say, "I'm Joe Smith, what's your name?", and there you have it.

Or do as Renozag suggested last year....Take a picture on your cell phone.

sheesh. :(

GonzagaGurl08
04-24-2008, 02:59 PM

I did that my freshmen year to Jeremy Pargo. I actually being the nice person that I am let him cut me in the ice cream line.

75Zag
04-24-2008, 03:01 PM
"If you're brave enough to eat at the COG, you can do anything."

Hey, the COG was not the dining hall requiring bravery. When I was at GU some nut case put a couple of bullets through the windows of Cataldo Dining Hall. I think he was shooting up St Als Church and put a few rounds across the street before somebody shot him. In those days, Cataldo was for brave diners, COG was for sissies.

Birddog
04-24-2008, 04:01 PM
some nut case put a couple of bullets through the windows of Cataldo

That would have been about Nov 11, 1971 (give or take a day). He did the shooting at the Cataldo after he had killed the St Al's custodian inside the Church. He also used a sledge hammer to smash up the altar rail and some of the other marble stuff. I think he took the shots at Cataldo from the steeple, but not positive about that.

Rangerzag
04-24-2008, 04:13 PM
"If you're brave enough to eat at the COG, you can do anything."

Hey, the COG was not the dining hall requiring bravery. When I was at GU some nut case put a couple of bullets through the windows of Cataldo Dining Hall. I think he was shooting up St Als Church and put a few rounds across the street before somebody shot him. In those days, Cataldo was for brave diners, COG was for sissies.

You guys are just talkin' about rifle bullets compared to the slow influence of month after month cog/saga offering ingestion. With a bullet the situation is over right away. I am still waiting for all the effects of cog/saga to become evident 37 years later. I count my blessings only one year was involved.

Did you all catch the idea there is actually a line just for omelette's? A line just for ice cream. I bet there is a line just for pizza and a line just for prime rib, too and they just don't want to admit it ;)

MedZag
04-24-2008, 04:21 PM
You all haven't been to the COG lately. It's all gussied up and classy now.

MBZags
04-24-2008, 05:55 PM
You all haven't been to the COG lately. It's all gussied up and classy now.

Er, from a student's perspective, it really isn't. Though I have no idea what the COG looked like until 2006. But the constants of bad food and weird chicken-like substances are there.

kjstoph1
04-24-2008, 06:21 PM

I did just that last spring, welcoming an older African-American to Spokane who I didn't quite recognize from afar....

Ended up spending the next 6 hours watching the NCAA tournament with none other than George Raveling and his family.

Nevtelen
04-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Er, from a student's perspective, it really isn't. Though I have no idea what the COG looked like until 2006. But the constants of bad food and weird chicken-like substances are there.

I was at the COG a couple of years ago the last time and it looked a LOT better than when I ate there as a student in the mid/late 90s. Of course, from what I understand the prices for COG meal packages have gone up accordingly.

RenoZag
04-24-2008, 06:38 PM
. . .the constants of bad food and weird chicken-like substances are there.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Zagineer
04-24-2008, 11:42 PM
This thread started out talking about a tall dude in the Cog and then somehow got off onto college food. Oh well, I might as well jump in.

The two years I lived on campus (1969-70 and 1970-71) were the best two food eating years of my life. Cataldo was Paradise!! A Garden of Eden!!

That was really brought to reality when I went on to Grad School at Nebraska-Lincoln. I'm surprised I survived grad school on the food they served. And forget Sundays. You were on your own to find your own food within the community.

Anyway, about the tall dude. Sounds to me like Few and Company are pursuing several options.

ToreroStudent
04-25-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm glad to hear that our campus food isn't the only one that gives students some upset stomaches. Our student dining has greatly progressed this year. It sounds like GU's has as well. Maybe Grier was yelling for a better caf and that's why he chose not to take the OSU job. :)

MedZag
04-25-2008, 06:06 AM

Trust me, as recently as 2004 it was a lot worse off. Then a massive gastroenteritis outbreak swept campus that hospitalized a dozen GU students (and infected over half the dorms) that was traced back to a COG employee and the salad bar, the WSDOH had an investigation, and "quality control" became Sodexho's #1 priority after that. The menu selection and quality of the meals have gone up considerably, and the place is in general much more organized and clean. Off course its still cafeteria food, but its good cafeteria food.

Though I am sad for you that they got rid of late night. All you can eat hot wings? late night breakfast? tater tots? That was what it was all about.

webspinnre
04-25-2008, 06:57 AM
I too was bummed when late night was removed.It was all about the chicken nuggets.

COG breakfasts are actually pretty fantastic in my opinion. Waffle bar, omelet bar, some form of egg, some fair of potato, some form of meat, plus oatmeal and fruit? Very excellent. The rest of COG meals? meh.

ZagNut08
04-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Trust me, as recently as 2004 it was a lot worse off. Then a massive gastroenteritis outbreak swept campus that hospitalized a dozen GU students (and infected over half the dorms) that was traced back to a COG employee and the salad bar, the WSDOH had an investigation, and "quality control" became Sodexho's #1 priority after that. The menu selection and quality of the meals have gone up considerably, and the place is in general much more organized and clean. Off course its still cafeteria food, but its good cafeteria food.

Though I am sad for you that they got rid of late night. All you can eat hot wings? late night breakfast? tater tots? That was what it was all about.

Some of us were talking about that a few days ago. Was my freshman year in CM. I think all but 5 of us were throwing up. Many were unable to make it to the bathroom so i had to climb out my window to leave