PDA

View Full Version : New Rivals Rankings

BroncoZAG615
04-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Meech and Gibbs both three stars now. It appears Meech's showing this year wasn't good enough which I question. And Grant was equally affected by his wrist injury.

Gibbs #119
Meech #133

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1617

And apparently Jeff Taylor is really good as he checks in at #52. He has to be the biggest riser or close to it being that he was not even ranked.

ZagNative
04-23-2008, 12:45 PM
I didn't remember Meech ever being ranked higher than three stars in either Rivals or Scout ... Maybe I'm wrong, but where I saw his ranking move up was in ESPN Recruit tracker Scout, Inc., rankings.

BroncoZAG615
04-23-2008, 01:42 PM
I didn't remember Meech ever being ranked higher than three stars in either Rivals or Scout ... Maybe I'm wrong, but where I saw his ranking move up was in ESPN Recruit tracker Scout, Inc., rankings.

You're exactly right. He never was higher than three stars but Scouts Inc loved him.

I think in cases like this with mid-high recruits such as Meech and Jeff Taylor that if they wait until the end of their senior year to commit, their rankings will fluctuate much more.

When Meech committed early to Gonzaga, the big schools in Texas and Oklahoma and the like turned away. If he would have waited, he would have received more publicity for his accolades and probably would have been ranked higher. Taylor benefited from this greatly, because I'm sure if he had been an early commit he would not have been ranked as highly as he is now.

That being said, I think Meech is a real steal in this class and am very very glad that we picked him up when we did because if we had waited then folks from Texas could have come calling and I'm sure Oklahoma would have pushed harder.

JD Stuart
04-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Taylor benefited from this greatly, because I'm sure if he had been an early commit he would not have been ranked as highly as he is now.

Not true. Jeff's ranking increase had nothing to do with his prolonged recruitment and everything to do with the fact that the Rivals people were finally able to watch him play. When the initial rankings were released, they had not seen Jeff because, while most prospects in the Rivals database were on the AAU circuit, Jeff was playing for the Swedish National Team.

We in the Vanderbilt community have been told since we first learned of his recruitment back in January that Jeff was a "sleeper" who was very likely to be significantly upgraded in ranking by the Spring precisely for this reason.

BroncoZAG615
04-23-2008, 05:21 PM
JD...I believe that Jeff's prolonged recruitment and his indecision allowed his game to be exploited and allowed for the people of Rivals to see him. It's pretty common sensical that if a kid is commited and knows what he wants to do, less attention will be given to him. Jeff's up and down recruitment and interest from the likes of kentucky and arizona got recruiting insiders more interested and thus his game was finally recognized. In a sense, we are saying the same thing. Jeff got what he deserved and his excellent game was recognized and he will be attending a top rate school.

I was just comparing his recruitment to that of Meech Goodson who commited early, had a GREAT senior season in Texas, a basketball hotbed, and did not seem to get his due recognition. To me, when a player blows up in Houston, TX and is a first team all state and Houston's player of the year, he should get more recognition than what Meech received.