PDA

View Full Version : anyone else catch Raivio's comments to Downs?

gmo
03-06-2007, 06:50 AM
right before the half after he had made the beautiful steal, dribbled the length of the court, and then nailed a 3 with a man in his grill?

"pass the f###ing ball"!- said Raiviio as they came to the huddle during a timeout. Very clear on TV. DR was red-hot, and if someone is feeling it you have to get them the rock. Micah had forced several shots (misses) immediately before Derek's play as well.

I liked seeing that fiery competitiveness out of DR who was obviously at the top of his game last night. Reminded me a little of my cousin (not really - just same last name) Adam Morrison, and it bodes well for our tournament success if he keeps up that intensity.

gamagin
03-06-2007, 07:00 AM
yes . . . I saw it

you know DR has suffered and managed the frustration of the mantle of leadership shifting from AM to, to, well, to JH and by way of evolution, through pargo, sean, very brief stops with Micah & even Matt at time -- all over the place before coming back to him, where it belonged at the beginning of the year.

He is the senior and the most consistent player we have. the rest are pretty much under construction.

this team has evolved quicker by his actions; has won by his actions and could contintue do do so, by his leadership and his actions.

through all the inconsistencies, he has been consistent. Turns out, he's the only rally consistent performer in a year full of inconsistencies.

it had to be a great relief to actually get the chance to show it, even showcase it, in front of the whole league last night.

I hope he now gets the recognition within the team for the dance. we really are riding on what looks like tiny shoulders, but he can carry the load. as he has demonstrated over and over.

FuManShoes
03-06-2007, 07:08 AM
I saw that, too. Micah, bless his heart, was really pressing during the first half of the game. He had a nice stretch when the Zags got back in the game after falling behind by 9, but was still forcing way too many shots. Whether Derek meant for Micah to pass the ball to him or just look to pass to anyone, it was a warranted call-out, and I noticed that Tommy Lloyd also had a few words for Micah when he got to the bench. To his credit, Micah was more poised in the 2nd half and did a great job on the boards, which was just as, if not more important than scoring last night. I like the kid and think he's done a great job and he seems to genuinly relish being a Zag. I think it's in these guys' DNA to want to be the hero, and it takes some restraint to know when to push it and when to pass it.

McZag
03-06-2007, 07:09 AM
DR and MD have not shared the floor together for long stretches like this and I think they are getting used to each other. MD obviously has the green light from the bench and will put the ball up without hesitation. That exchange looked liked a seasoned veteran in a huge game providing some leadership to a talented player with less experience. It was refreshing to see actually. This is DR's team now and he should act accordingly to see that everything is being done to win.

ZAGFAN78
03-06-2007, 07:17 AM
first post................yay

anywho, I saw that and I think its fine........Rav is obviously the glue of this team.....and I think last night he just put us on his back and said lets go. He was hitting jumpers that no one had the business of making, guys hanging on him and all that. I am so proud of this years team, gonna miss the Ravster.

john montana
03-06-2007, 07:23 AM
micah needs to shoot the ball. he, bouldin, and drav have got to be aggressive in creating offense for us to win (especially with pargo a half step slow last night due to injury). i have no problem with micah taking those shots, or drav telling him to pass...just a good exchange, both guys playing hard. drav got the job done last night! just a great game.

TexasZagFan
03-06-2007, 07:36 AM
first post................yay

anywho, I saw that and I think its fine........Rav is obviously the glue of this team.....and I think last night he just put us on his back and said lets go. He was hitting jumpers that no one had the business of making, guys hanging on him and all that. I am so proud of this years team, gonna miss the Ravster.

...you see a handle like "ZagFan78", and you think it refers to the year they graduated! :fingergun:

CDC84
03-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Micah did take some ill-advised shots last night...particularly ones where GU had no players that were in a position to rebound. I don't feel it was the result of selfish play...Micah, just like every other Zag, was pressing to help his team.

I agree with Majerus that Micah is really at his best when he's shooting within the flow of the offense. He really needs to get stronger during the offseason if he hopes to take his man off the dribble more. He has real problems finishing contested shots in the lane.

tobizag
03-06-2007, 08:40 AM
I agree with you CDC in regards to the shots in the lane. However, it is nice to see him following his shots and getting putbacks. Bouldin was doing the same.

In regards to the DRav comment, we all know that DRav is the leader, but if Micah were hot, he wouldn't have said that. The point was the Derek was hitting every shot he took, and Micah the opposite. This was Raivio's game, and he wanted the ball. Great game last night.

lothar98zag
03-06-2007, 08:52 AM
No big deal, just 2 players that really wanted to win last night.

They all seemed pretty happy after the game.

JAGzag
03-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Micah had some very nice looks, they just weren't falling. But that's what shooters do, they continue to press (ie, Morrison) and continue to throw em up. Unfortunately, I have to agree with the announcers - he is just too weak for many of the drives towards the basket he was taking. But I continue to feel he is our missing piece of any drive in March. Also remember he's still learning and getting his game feet. I have no doubt he'll have a game where he just go's off.

ZAGFAN78
03-06-2007, 10:00 AM
...you see a handle like "ZagFan78", and you think it refers to the year they graduated!

good thing its the year I was born not the year I graduated.................. i would hate being that old...........hahahahaha kidding........:)

VinnyZag
03-06-2007, 10:04 AM
I agree with Majerus that Micah is really at his best when he's shooting within the flow of the offense. He really needs to get stronger during the offseason if he hopes to take his man off the dribble more. He has real problems finishing contested shots in the lane.

If you agree with Majerus, then you think Micah's at his best when he's shooting within the flow of the ohhhhfense,

ZigZagger
03-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Anybody else remember Blake Stepp calling out D-Rav in a similar manner in Portland when D-Rav was a frosh?

I think my favorite part of college sports is seeing the huge difference between these kids as freshmen vs. as seniors - and the role their teammates play in that development.

youreachiteach
03-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Personally, I felt Micah changed the game when GU was down, he scored, got offensive tip ins, took charges and was a definite matchup problem. If Micah is not there last nite, not sure GU wins. But thats typical DR. I actually laughed when i saw Raivio say it, because it was caught on National TV.

But hey, we won right!

demian
03-06-2007, 12:54 PM
I saw the exchange between these two. I have to say I thought it looked pathetic. I think there is a big diffirence between a senior who is hot saying " come on get me the ball I'm hot tonight", as opposed to "pass the f***ing ball", with an utter look of disgust on your face for the TEAMMATE you are talikng to. I do not think that it was good at all. I dont think that is leadership, I think that is selfish. I know scorers have that kind of attitude and that is what makes them great scorers, but I was not impressed by that exchange. To me the look of disgust he gave Downs was worse than what he said. A leader is to pick up his teammates, keep them in line when he feels they need to be reeled in, and encourage them. I dont recall seeing Ravios teammates telling him to "pass the f***ing ball" and looking at him with disgust when he drives to the lane and forces a shot and either travels, gets his shot blocked or commits a charge.

LongIslandZagFan
03-06-2007, 01:02 PM
I saw the exchange between these two. I have to say I thought it looked pathetic. I think there is a big diffirence between a senior who is hot saying " come on get me the ball I'm hot tonight", as opposed to "pass the f***ing ball", with an utter look of disgust on your face for the TEAMMATE you are talikng to. I do not think that it was good at all. I dont think that is leadership, I think that is selfish. I know scorers have that kind of attitude and that is what makes them great scorers, but I was not impressed by that exchange. To me the look of disgust he gave Downs was worse than what he said. A leader is to pick up his teammates, keep them in line when he feels they need to be reeled in, and encourage them. I dont recall seeing Ravios teammates telling him to "pass the f***ing ball" and looking at him with disgust when he drives to the lane and forces a shot and either travels, gets his shot blocked or commits a charge.

Your assessment assumes he is telling MD to pass HIM the ball as opposed to passing the ball so that the flex o would work better. Perhaps?? Maybe???

youreachiteach
03-06-2007, 02:38 PM
This is a great time for GU, i dont want to get into it about Raivio's leadership qualities, and his selfishness.

But it is what it is folks.

Zag84
03-06-2007, 02:42 PM
demain
Derek is the senior leader and he can say whatever he wants. This is college basketball not Church. He's won more games for this team then Downs and he should have said something. Downs was getting out of control. Micah couldn't make a free throw and wasn't hitting his shots. This is two games in a row he's shot poorly. Look at the percentages. Downs will win his share of games in the future. Derek is winning games for this team now with great free throw shooting, ball handling, and great decision making.

lothar98zag
03-06-2007, 02:44 PM
This is a great time for GU, i dont want to get into it about Raivio's leadership qualities, and his selfishness.

If you don't want to "get into it" why even mention it?

:confused:

Please teach me why you post what you do, so I don't have to reach for conclusions. Thanks in advance.

kdaleb
03-06-2007, 02:45 PM
with an utter look of disgust on your face for the TEAMMATE you are talikng to.... To me the look of disgust he gave Downs was worse than what he said.
I think you may be misreading Derek's face. It's been pretty widely discussed that his face adds about 3 degrees of pout to any emotion.

Zaghuatanejo
03-06-2007, 02:56 PM

Are you saying he was selfish last night? 8/12 shooting and 4asts to lead the team. I hope he's that "selfish" every night.

Doktorkev
03-06-2007, 03:13 PM
IMO Derek looks as if he is ALWAYS pissed off (Has anybody ever seen this guy smile??) and I love the kid. With that in mind he's just using his words to get the point across, which in this case is "If it isn't too much to ask could you kindly pass the GOD D**N BALL!!!" : )

I think he got his point across

Darth Zag
03-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Shades of Adam sans the toxicity. Me like it.

Go Zags!

D Hark 2003
03-06-2007, 03:24 PM
THat funny to me, but Downs definitely was getting trigger happy last night. He needs to get his shots in the flow of the flex Offense.

zaguarxj
03-06-2007, 03:28 PM

Since this is such a great time for GU, I don't want to get into it about how ridiculous it is to pretend you're not criticizing the tournament MVP after a victory when you obviously are.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-06-2007, 06:00 PM
I saw the exchange between these two. I have to say I thought it looked pathetic. I think there is a big diffirence between a senior who is hot saying " come on get me the ball I'm hot tonight", as opposed to "pass the f***ing ball", with an utter look of disgust on your face for the TEAMMATE you are talikng to. I do not think that it was good at all. I dont think that is leadership, I think that is selfish.

DANCING WCC CHAMPIONS Buzz Kill demian.
Have you ever played competitive sports??? I ask because to read so much into a heat-of-the-moment exchange is ridiculous and annoying in light of what this TEAM just accomplished. I played hoops w my best friends practicallly every day every summer throughout high-school....sometimes we'd get pissed off at each other.....when playing competitive sports s*** happens....it's no place for psychotherapy or over-analysis.

Oahuzag
03-06-2007, 06:05 PM
I love how Micah was taking those shots. Maybe he took 1 during that sequence that he shouldn't have. Still, I remember about 10 games ago, Raivio was getting hounded, couldn't get an open shot, and the offense was flat at times. Having Raivio, Micah and Pendo on the floor at the same time is really difficult to defend, especially the pick and roll out to the arc.

The argument here is moot. Our TEAM is playing better. Micah is another shooter/scorer, Raivio is freed up, and Pendo becomes extremely dangerous as well. Defenses are going to have trouble with these 3 guys. Add in Bouldin and Pargo, and I'm not seeing too many teams in the tourney that can match guard play with us.

Defensively, I'm excited too. Our guys are defending out to the 3 point line better, and we can play more man! Some of those 3's that Santa Clara hit with a hand in their face were ridiculous.:allhail:

Lets take it one game at a time Zags, and go DEEEEEEEP!!!

Bill,Or
03-06-2007, 06:58 PM
That's the intensity of the game...MD understood. Thought it was great to keep everyone focused. DRav was telling everyone to keep passing. Great effort y all the Zags

ZagMania
03-06-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't think Downs was too hurt by the comment, and this team seems to be gelling so well right now chemistry wise that I think this is a complete non-issue. My favorite part of the final was how the team celebrated together and pumped eachother up. If this was a team that was having chemistry issues this might mean something, but Downs just seems to love playing on this team too much.

About DRavs look on the court.. his face is almost always all business. Theres actually a group on facebook called "Why does Derek Raivio always look like he's going to cry". DR is my favorite player, but I found that pretty funny and sorta true, but thats just his game face on the court. You can tell he's always thinking and focused.