Angelo Roncalli
04-21-2008, 08:43 AM
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=59686

Just A Zag
04-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Best of luck JT.

sittingon50
04-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Good luck Jeff. Hope you have a great career.

BroncoZAG615
04-21-2008, 09:29 AM
I thought that would be his school of choice. I can't knock him for going there at all. It's a great school.

Besides, I couldn't see Taylor in the burnt orange.

Nevtelen
04-21-2008, 09:32 AM
*sigh* Oh well. Best of luck to JT... I have no doubt he'll tear it up there.

MDABE80
04-21-2008, 09:34 AM
If you remember Bill Frist, you might understand why Vandy has become so attractive. Big endowment and big time academic place in Nashville. So it was already fertile ground and very academic prior to Bill taking over the Speaker's job. One of his first goals was to bring millions of dollars in funding (I heard he finished with about $700 million) to the Vanderbilt campus.

I was back there 3 years ago working on a cardiac genome project (we had the data but they had the funding) . Well I ran into him and the guys/gals at Vendy and took an informal tour of their facilities and looked at the funding structure.

I've always thought that the first 4 years of college are pretty much the same wherever a kid goes..and I still do. Certain places do put visions in a kid's head because of big shiny academic buildings. Vanderbilt is one of them.

It's just hard to compete unless the parents are looking for a jewel like GU.We may not have the money of those type schools and certainly we don't have the glitzy buildings but we do have everything we need to attract a 4 year kid who wants to be on TV often and might go to the next level. Kids likely don't understand that even though those BCS type places look grand, it's likely a kid like Jeff will never see the inside of those buildings.

The only reason I'm writing this is because we are at a disadvantage in perception and funding. It's ALL fluff though...when it comes to undergrad training. Jeff will likley do there what we would have done here. Really no difference. I'm writing this because sometimes we need to remind ourselves how really good it is here at GU. Our basketball program and facilities are as good as 90% of the high end schools. Loss of kids like Jeff bothers me but then remember what Frist told me and I don't feel so bad remembering it's their goal to knock everyone's eyes out. If I was a teen looking around, I'd be knocked out too....until some Jesuit grabbed be by my collar and explained reality to me.....

Ezag
04-21-2008, 09:43 AM
...good points above

I also think it is getting tougher for GU because of our poor performance in the past 2 tourney's which go a long way toward marketing and exposure

Birddog
04-21-2008, 09:43 AM
With the "Commodore's" backing, Vandy didn't exactly start off disadvantaged. A million years ago I dated a girl whose father had been offered the Commodoreship at Vandy. He declined and stayed on at SMU where he was the Dean of Theology.

NanookZag
04-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Comparing wealth of today with wealth of yesterday and compairing their wealth as a fraction of our GDP, Cornelius Vanderbil would have been the second richest with a wealth/GDP fraction of 1/87. For comparison, Bill Gates' is 1/152. The richest? J. D. Rockefeller with a staggering 1/65 ratio.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/fortune/0702/gallery.richestamericans.fortune/index.html

deathchina
04-21-2008, 10:14 AM
"'It's ALL fluff though...when it comes to undergrad training. Jeff will likley do there what we would have done here. Really no difference."

Perhaps, but schools like Standford, Duke and even Vanderbilt are attracting a higher caliber of student. Kids that worked harder in high school, got higher scores on standardized tests, participated in more extracurriculars. Just being in an environment where EVERYONE is really smart can raise one's own expectations for their self. You are forced to work that much harder to differentiate yourself from your peers...and even if you fail to do so the benefits of trying are obvious.

Maybe the general content of the classes are similar, but the student sitting next to you at Duke is gonna be more capable of pushing up the curve on the final exam.

Birddog
04-21-2008, 10:35 AM
the student sitting next to you at Duke is gonna be more capable of pushing up the curve on the final exam.
Damn, I hate it when that happens.

MDABE80
04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Me too Bird. And China might be right to an extent. We want Jeff for Basketball though........sobeit if he's a great scholar (although I suspect he's plenty bright). We wanted him for his 48 inch vertical didn't we China? :)

deathchina
04-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Abe - I thought I read that he could jump 52 inches.

Rubbadub
04-21-2008, 02:13 PM
that stinks

bigblahla
04-21-2008, 03:33 PM
that stinks
Ditto!

Go!! Zags!!!

antbanks
04-21-2008, 09:07 PM
it's kinda funny because Vanderbilt's Memorial Gymnasium is similiar to Hobbs' Ralph Tasker Arena.....team benches on opposing baselines, and both gyms are somewhat Rare in a way........just a coincidence I wanted to bring up

CarolinaZagFan
04-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Oh well, good luck to Jeff. I'm glad he chose Vandy instead of Texas.

BroncoZAG615
04-22-2008, 09:20 AM
In the Rivals article concerning his commitment, it says that Taylor will be a four star recruit in the final 2008 rankings.

I'm excited to see where Meech and Gibbs wind up. I think Meech has a really good chance to rise to the four star ranks. And I hope that Gibbs does not drop because of his wrist.

I know these rankings don't mean much, but it's always nice to flaunt a good recruiting class.

MDABE80
04-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Being an MVP in Houston should mean a lot in getting a 4 or 5 ranking. It's good for pub but he needs to prove it on the Mac floor...something we all know. Something went wrong with PMac ( a flashy HS guard with about the same dimensions) but I have a good feeling about Meech. I suspect excellence in those Houston leagues mean quite a bit more than most HS experiences.

Wish we could have snagged Jeff but we all wish him well. He'll be a fun one to watch. Not sure Vandy's coach will be there much longer. What happens then is anyone's guess. Hint hint!!

JD Stuart
04-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Not sure Vandy's coach will be there much longer. What happens then is anyone's guess. Hint hint!!

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I am quite sure that Kevin Stallings will be at Vanderbilt for a long while. He makes very good money and has a very expensive buy-out in his contract. Additionally, he loves the Nashville community and is VERY happy at Vanderbilt. Finally, he has turned down offers from Michigan and Iowa in recent years, as well as two offers just this offseason, one from a very wealthy program which has since found a coach, the other from a notable program which is still searching for a coach.

Good luck. I enjoy Gonzaga's basketball teams and Coach Few very much.