PDA

View Full Version : Spring makes me think of Bluejays!

siliconzag
04-21-2008, 06:32 AM
OK. Basta ormai (Enough already)! I propose a neutral site for negotiations. I will host the event. Bob Hurley's in Yountville would be idea. Lots of Guinness and good Irish cuisine (really). The last person standing will have the honor of his/her alma mater hosting the first in a 10 year series of battles between these two great teams. What do you all think?

http://thebluejaycafe.com/BB/viewtopic.php?t=10586

gamagin
04-21-2008, 06:51 AM
spell. It's Kennel, not Kennell.

It seems like few poeple can sepll hardlee ayn wurdz theez daze.

Or IZ is Jus mee ?

Geze !

SageOfZagville
04-21-2008, 08:04 AM
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the
olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought
slpeling was ipmorantt!

The Sage.

gamagin
04-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Tahnx, myba thats' why we hvae this grate SPorts group here on GU Broads.

Imgine how bad it cude get if non Colege Graudates were inloveled !!

Butt it can get anuy ING.

Smlel U LatR

siliconzag
04-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Did you guys hijack this thread. Is Gonzaga chicken to play the Bluejays. I am not sure what is going on, but it sounds a little like the GU AD has been learning some talking points from Mr. Romar.

http://thebluejaycafe.com/BB/viewtopic.php?t=10586&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

This is embarassing. Are the Zags wanting to schedule ACC teams but ducking Creighton? Sili

LongIslandZagFan
04-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Attacks on spelling attack are misguided since it was a cut and paste job on CU's board. Sounds more like whoever posted the information up on the other website (I highly doubt Dr. Krause would misspell the nickname for our arena) is to blame.

That being said, others on that board are a touch off to think that we don't get TV coverage. All but 1-2 games a year are televised, most if not all nationally via Fox College Sports, so to say we are lacking in TV coverage is not entirely accurate.

If GU isn't calling back I am sure it is for a reason, perhaps that level of a game may not fit into the overall plan. It could be that whomever they are quoting as being in the know isn't being on the up and up and is giving them lip service.

I suspect there is a concerted effort to get games at varying levels each year and in this situation and based on what is already scheduled, the Blue Jays just may not be a fit this year. I could also be talking out of my behind to. But being chicken is NOT what I would call it.

Angelo Roncalli
04-22-2008, 01:29 PM
A home and home with Creighton leaves me a bit nonplussed.

Catholic schools I'd rather have a h&h with:

DePaul (top of the list--and there's history)
Xavier
Georgetown (relationship may be fractured after they backed out of BIS)
Villanova
Providence
BC
Marquette
St. John's
St. Louis
St. Bonaventure
Loyola (Chicago)

Not Catholic, but would like to see...
Cincy

thespywhozaggedme
04-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Sili,
Why are you talking smack about the university and us fans on Creightons board? I'm gettin' a Benedict Arnold vibe from you. This is his post on their message board:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:48 am Post subject: Zag fans Reply with quote
Well to be honest, and many of these guys are buddies, I think they are kind of chicken to play Creighton.

I posted this yesterday, and you guys got graded down for your spelling:

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=12137

Now I am prone to a few typos myself, but there is more enthusiasm for this game in Omaha than Spokane. I like MD Abe am a double alum, but this elitism about spelling is a non sequitur if you ask me.

I tend to agree with the sentiment that Gonzaga has become a lot like their most hated rival over on the west side of the state, the UW, who refuses to play Gonzaga any more because, they are "...a national program, and need to schedule higher caliber opponents." I think perhaps Lorenzo Romar logic has entered the hallowed halls on Boone Avenue.

I am still willing to sponsor the negotiations. Siliconzag. PS. Say hey to Joey and all the guys over at the Bluejay. PPS Dana Altman rocks. Sili

Well, I do now see that your an alum of both, ....but still?

siliconzag
04-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Do you guys think I should change my handle to SiliconJay? It is a consideration, I admit. This is a simple deal. Creighton is a great program, so is Gonzaga. Both Jesuit. Both basketball only schools with great academics. I think it is a shame not to play it. And I hear a lot of cluckin goin on.

thespywhozaggedme
04-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Why not JayZag? Nothing wrong with that since you're partial to both with a slight lean towards CU.

CDC84
04-22-2008, 03:56 PM
I have been advocating a home and home with Xavier for years and years, and I know some other long time posters on this board have as well. Not only are they consistently good and well coached, but they are one of the only programs outside of the BCS leagues besides Gonzaga and Memphis who consistently recruits and lands high major players. I know I wouldn't mind having their incoming center Kenny Frease, who is 6-11, 245, and loves to operate in the paint. Xavier had to beat Indiana, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State and West Virginia in order to get him. This is one of the reasons why Sean Miller keeps turning down BCS jobs. He's got a really nice set up at that place. The state is overflowing with prep talent, and the A-10 is appealing enough to not drive away all of the players to Big 10 and Big East schools. And because he gets the talent, Xavier is almost always good and near the top of the
A-10. It just feeds on itself. It's a great opportunity for GU to get a quality opponent into K2 every other year.

whatazag
04-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Sili -
I don't know if I would call it clucking. UW backed out of an in-state rivalry game because they were getting tired of getting beaten.
Us not playing Creighton does not make us chicken. We can't play every team that would like to play us. That said, I think Creighton would be a great game to schedule. However, I wouldn't blame the staff if they didn't set it up for the reasons of perception mentioned on the Creighton board. It looks better to many people for us to beat a middle of the pack ACC team than a very good MVC team.

CDC84
04-22-2008, 04:29 PM
I refuse to group all fans of a team into one bag, but I have run into more than one Creighton fan on the internet who has possessed Zag envy. There is some jealousy out there regarding the fact that Gonzaga gets major TV and media coverage (including all the "hype" and scheduling benefits that come from it) and they don't. I understand where it comes from because Creighton has had a lot of success as a program over the last ten years from a W-L perspective. Not as much as Gonzaga, but enough to where their program probably deserves a bit more credit than they currently get.

siliconzag
04-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Depends on your horizon in a way. If you look back 30 or 40 years, the Bluejays have a storied history. Maybe not as many NCAA appearances in a short time, but they have had some great teams. When MD Abe and I were young boy doctors the Jays made the dance one year, and lost to KU in a squeaker in Kansas (that was how it used to be, with all kinds of scheduling favoritism). Not only that but Paul Silas and Bob Gibson were both great hoop stars at CU.

As you say, generalizing is pretty risky, but I was back in Omaha not too long ago and they are pretty favorable towards Gonzaga, and seem to root for us, as they did in SLC a few years back when they were playing Central Michigan and we played Cincinnati and Arizona. Creighton has a Law School, Dental School, Pharmacy School, and Medical School and there are a lot of graduates from other Jesuit schools who attend the professional schools. 've found Creighton folk to be among the nicest people I've known anywhere. There is something nice about the midwest, and I actually miss it. The pace of life is different, and the way people act is a lot more civil compared to here (again, its risky to generalize, but in general it's true).

So anyway, I agree with your first point, that people shouldn't generalize. So I apologize for implying there are chickens on Boone Avenue. But JMJ, not a single poster except Sili laments that we don't play the Bluejays. Seems like you indeed can't generalize about Zags being chicken, because one Zag isn't. I say bring those Bluejays on. The sooner the better. And the rest of you get back to your clucking.

Sili

BroncoZAG615
04-22-2008, 05:19 PM
I believe that if there is one thing that Gonzaga can not be questioned on, it is their scheduling. We are praised constantly for playing the best competition that we can find and for the most part, away from Spokane. I think it's pretty ignorant to say that we are "clucking" and too scared to play Creighton. I still haven't heard one logical reason about WHY Gonzaga would be scared of playing Creighton. For all intensive purposes in the PRESENT time which we live, Creighton is Gonzaga Jr.

I'll continue to support us taking on powers from the likes of Memphis, Tennessee, Duke etc etc.

Nevtelen
04-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Not that playing Creighton would be a bad game, because I don't think it would, but I just don't think your logic is defensible. GU doesn't play Creighton, therefore the program's chicken?! We also don't play 300+ other D-I schools in any given season. Some of them are excellent schools and would make for great games. But the staff has to make the best possible schedule for the team they can - if that doesn't include Creighton, well, there are lots of other great schools out there. I honestly wouldn't want to see GU travel to Omaha just to schedule Creighton because the team already usually has a lot of other road trips scheduled. If it was doable in combo with another game (say if GU would be headed somewhere close by for a tourney or something - like the St Joes this past season, that was great), I'd be all for it. Otherwise... I'm just not that excited about the prospect, compared to other games out there.