PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to Davey

Chewbacca
03-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Its been a great 30 years you've given to the game and the best of luck to you in the future. Thanks for all you brought to the WCC and good luck to you in the NIT. (At least)

Nevtelen
03-05-2007, 11:32 PM
I'll second that.

LongIslandZagFan
03-06-2007, 05:41 AM
I kind of wanted the Zag fans to start a cheer for Davey at the end.

He is a great coach and deserved some recognition. If I had been there, I'd likely have tried to start it myself.

jazzdelmar
03-06-2007, 05:51 AM
.........will u start one for Boeheim and Calhoun when they coach their last vs the Johnnies?

LongIslandZagFan
03-06-2007, 06:06 AM
.........will u start one for Boeheim and Calhoun when they coach their last vs the Johnnies?

Jimmy and Jimmy aren't the class acts that Davey has been. Maybe Boeheim... no way with Con-houn.

siliconzag
03-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Rick Majerus obviously shares the feelings of many of us who have been extoling the virtues of Dick Davey during the past month or so.

Father Locatelli, President of Santa Clara has often said that what he hopes to instill in the graduates of SCU is a sense of mastery in three important areas-- "...The Three Cs--compassion, conscience and competence". Now I don't know about you guys, but I don't think there was a lot of compassion for this wonderful man, especially considering how little support he got for his program, and what he has been through on a personal level. And I think that the decision to let this guy retire early (or coerce him to) didn't show a lot of competence either (since everybody agrees he is really good, and his outmanned team did very well after being figured to finish near the bottom of the WCC this year). And finally, I don't think it showed a lot of conscience either.

One thing that they teach in leadership today is that you should live the change you promote. I am not so sure about Santa Clara's administration, sorry to say. At first I was tempted to say that it was bad karma that brought about last night's results. But last night, the Zags were better. Period. And even as a sometimes Few critic, the game plan appeared to be solid, especially the second half adjustsments (something I have not been impressed with heretofore).

Dick Davey, you are the coach of the year in the WCC and I believe Zag fans wish you the best whatever you do next. I think Samantha and Rachel are looking forward to some good times with Grandpa if nobody follows up on your offer to be an emeritus coach. DD you deserved better. Way better.

Sili

siliconzag
03-06-2007, 02:23 PM
how the press picked up on DD last night, and the kind words from Majerus indicate that the adulation he has received from many on this board is well deserved.

In terms of the SCU administration, I was thinking about it last night. Father Locatelli says that the goal of being a Santa Clara graduate is to "master the three C's: conscience, competence and compassion." I was thinking about how much compassion was shown this great man, and then I thought about how much competence this great coach has exhibited, and then I wondered about the conscience of the person who asked him to leave. I don't know about you guys, but I am still (heretic that I am) thinking that there may have been some bad karma for SCU. Too bad Davey had to be part of the deal. His team was a rag tag bunch of almost great athletes and they competed very well last night. The Zags were just better athletes. And when it counted, they shot better. The defense, particularly in the second half was very good. As was the rebounding. In fact, this is the most optimistic I've felt since .