PDA

View Full Version : Shout out to Sean

brasszag
03-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Let's not forget our "other" senior tonight.

DRAV stepped up tonight, certainly.

I just want to show some "love" for Sean Mallon who has given everything to this program over the last few years - and has kept the boat steady all year long.

He's earned some time for him to rest, heal, and strengthen that ankle, so he can make some BCS "future draft-pick" look foolish with his spin-move :-)

TM27
03-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Agreed

rawkmandale
03-05-2007, 09:26 PM
I noticed that Sean didn't get shoved around by SC's big guy. His own offense gets nullified by big opponents, but he sure helps protect the paint against those same bigs, and collects a decent number of boards.

cair3
03-05-2007, 11:27 PM
i love sean too but i wont miss watching him catch the ball at the three point line and do that weird jump stop that looks like he travels everytime, he gets called on it depending on who refs. last game vs. SC he was called for it a few times but luckily last night the refs turned a blind eye.

Birddog
03-06-2007, 05:38 AM
If anybody has video of the last two games, it would be worth it to review them and watch what Sean does. Nothing flashy, but he played some very solid minutes. He bodied up some monsters on D and he pulled down some key rebounds all on a bum wheel.

Birddog

Ikancagin
03-06-2007, 06:52 AM
I remember the first time I saw him play when he was a Freshman at Ferris and he was on a team that beat Walla Walla at regionals and then lost to them in the State Championship. He has been a workhorse without seeking the fanfare ever since. Kudos to Mallon.
P.S. Guess who was the leading shooter for the Walla Walla team?

jayray
03-06-2007, 07:31 AM
Give me a break - 23 minutes, 2 rebounds. Why was he in the game? His numbers last night were not good by any stretch of the imagination.

brasszag
03-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Great positive post. Nice way to celebrate the career of a great Zag.

What was the point?

You could just easily say that Kuso fouling out after 19 minutes with only 5 boards and 0 points on the board was "not good by any stretch of the imagination."

The box score doesn't say it all.

gamagin
03-06-2007, 07:40 AM
This kid has done everything asked of him. He has earned and deserves the respect he has gained. His guts and resolve are likely the only reason he keeps coming back.

I don't want to see him thrown under the bus. I do want him to heal as quickly as possible and perhaps, for the coaches in the meantime, to realize his best contribution will be as a role player who should get a few less minutes in order to let this transition team work with five healthy players versus four.

I would say the same thing if it were pargo or pendo, limping along trying their level best, but demonstrably hampered by an injury.

In the jungle that is the NCAA's, it will be the weak ones that are picked on. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice this gamer is not at full strength.

LongIslandZagFan
03-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Give me a break - 23 minutes, 2 rebounds. Why was he in the game? His numbers last night were not good by any stretch of the imagination.

Always the Mallon hater right JayRay.

Nothing wrong with being negative, but I have no idea what game you watched, but regardless of numbers Sean was out on that floor working, disrupting shots by the behemoth and holding his ground against 300lbs. Sorry it doesn't show up in the precious stat sheet for you.

I'll never understand why you or others would find the need to rip a guy who has given his heart and soul to this team.

former1dog
03-06-2007, 08:32 AM
To the original intent of this thread.

Thank you Sean Mallon. The quintessential Bulldog and definition of Student Athlete.

I, for one, appreciate all that you have contributed to this team in your 5 years. Your legacy cannot be muddied by the doubters. An undeniable winner!

zaglawdad
03-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Sean held his own against some pretty big guys. When Sean is in he's barking out defensive assignments like a floor general. He took two pretty good charges last night. When the other team starts a run, Sean comes in and the run is over. Sean always contributes. Too bad the negative poster (no names mentioned) never seems to notice.

IrishZag
03-06-2007, 09:11 AM
I remember the first time I saw him play when he was a Freshman at Ferris and he was on a team that beat Walla Walla at regionals and then lost to them in the State Championship. He has been a workhorse without seeking the fanfare ever since. Kudos to Mallon.
P.S. Guess who was the leading shooter for the Walla Walla team?

That would be another former senior leader named Kyle Bankhead.

Ikancagin
03-06-2007, 09:25 AM
That would be another former senior leader named Kyle Bankhead.

That is correct. I have enjoyed both Sean and Kyle over the years not for particular numbers but for their heart. It can never be replaced. I also feel they embody the attitude of "we'll play anybody, anywhere, anytime". I think the last several games following "Joshgate" shows that same attitude is back.
Go Sean and all. You represent us well.

tobizag
03-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Sean was indeed fantastic on D last night, especially drawing some momentum swinging charges. Thank you Sean.

In regards to jayray, that's what the ignore button is for on this forum ;)

BobZag
03-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Mallon = Leadership and Veteran Experience.

zaguarxj
03-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I thought one defensive play towards the end of the game was pivotal. Bryant got the ball down low and was trying to bull his way closer to the basket, but Sean kept his feet moving and held his ground, forcing Bryant into an errant shot. I was impressed that Bryant wasn't able to use his massive body to get any closer to the hoop. Maybe it takes a slow fat guy to gaurd a slow fat guy!

jayray
03-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Always the Mallon hater right JayRay.

Nothing wrong with being negative, but I have no idea what game you watched, but regardless of numbers Sean was out on that floor working, disrupting shots by the behemoth and holding his ground against 300lbs. Sorry it doesn't show up in the precious stat sheet for you.

I'll never understand why you or others would find the need to rip a guy who has given his heart and soul to this team.

Hey, I just gave numbers - that is all. No personal attacks, just said his numbers last night were not good. And they weren't. I agree he provides leadership. He has had good games too - last night was just not one of them. In my view Kuso plays just as hard or harder as Mallon. He puts up better numbers and is one of the most improved players on the team. So, BrassZag, cutting Kuso down to make Mallon look better is in my opinion way more of a negative comment than my original post.

tobizag
03-06-2007, 10:52 AM
brasszag wasn't cutting down Kuso, he was highlighting the holes in your logic. You should be throwing Kuso under the bus as well if you go by "just the numbers." The point that is being made is that the stat sheet doesn't say it all. If all you had done was say that his stats were lousy, that's one thing. But to say he shouldn't be in the game because of those stats is what people are finding absurd.

HillBillyZag
03-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Sean has been a contributor to Gonzaga success his whole career. While not gifted with tremendous speed,he as done all in his power to utilize his many abilities and his leadership to help this Club. He more than holds his own against some pretty big guys. So I say that if He is a truck he is a "Mack Bulldog!".

jayray
03-06-2007, 11:09 AM
brasszag wasn't cutting down Kuso, he was highlighting the holes in your logic. You should be throwing Kuso under the bus as well if you go by "just the numbers." The point that is being made is that the stat sheet doesn't say it all. If all you had done was say that his stats were lousy, that's one thing. But to say he shouldn't be in the game because of those stats is what people are finding absurd.

Kuso had 5 rebounds and 2 blocks. Was a greater presence down low and while he also didn't have a good game his numbers were clearly better. And its not just the stats I am looking at. I am also taking into consideration how slow Mallon is up the court. It was not my intent to compare Mallon to Kuso - someone else brought that up. I was looking at when GU went on runs last night and it was always when Mallon was not in the game. How can you argue he had a good game? He was not rebounding, not getting up the court, and besides one defensive charge he took - he was not in any shape or form instrumental to the GU runs last night. I am in no way saying he is not a good guy or a leader. I am just saying in both in numbers and the things the numbers don't show Mallon did not have a good game. I am not saying he shouldn't be playing at all just that I would rather see Foster/Burgess get some time. I am all ears for things I may have missed last night - please point them out and provide me with something more than just 'stat sheet doesn't say it all'.

former1dog
03-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Jayray,

Thanks for shaking salt and pepper on our chocolate cake.

Just can't enjoy the moment, huh?

-Puzzled in SLC :confused:

UberZagFan
03-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Are there any places on the net where you can find plus/minus numbers for college games? The stat that shows how much team scores or gives up for every minute a player is in the game?

I'm not sure last night was a good example, but over the season Mallon has to have one of the best plus/minus numbers on the team.

jayray
03-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Jayray,

Thanks for shaking salt and pepper on our chocolate cake.

Just can't enjoy the moment, huh?

-Puzzled in SLC :confused:

I am just as happy as every one else on here. And I am just adding to the debate on here - that is all. Nothing more, nothing less. I would not have started a thread on this - just had to add my opinion. I want GU to win just like you. I want GU to put the best guys out there - guys that are going to get it done. If someone is not playing good they should get limited minutes. Whether it be PMAC or Mallon.

tobizag
03-06-2007, 11:30 AM
jayray,

for things other than "stat sheet doesn't say it all" see the above posts.

brasszag
03-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Man.

He goes and toughs out 23 minutes with a gimpy ankle, draws some charges, makes some passes, gets a couple of assists and a couple of points, and gets this sort of crap in what may be the "glow" following what may be the penultimate game of his career.

We won, and Sean helped - just like he's done for over 100 Wins in a GU uniform. His job is clearly not to HAVE to be the primary scorer or a numbers guy, but he's proven he can school NBA-level prospects with his floor placement and in-the-paint moves to the hoop. Few does not want to lose, and if he puts Sean in, its because he does things to get that W in the column - and that's what he's proven he can contribute on the court.

I promised I'd never use the ignore list, but this kills me that a thread to celebrate a great career - and I don't think you'd find a single player on this team, or a single coach in this conference, that does not respect Sean's play and Student-Athlete career - gets sidetracked like this whenever his name comes up. Kuso is great, and when he gets half the moves that Sean has in the paint (and I certainly love Kuso's athleticism and fire) he'll be a killer down low.

Oregon Zag
03-06-2007, 11:41 AM
I have to add my congrats to Mallon for last night's game. He didn't back down from Bryant and protected the basket. He is a resilient player and a good role model for younger players. I wish him well post season. We'll miss you, Sean.

former1dog
03-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I am just as happy as every one else on here. And I am just adding to the debate on here - that is all. Nothing more, nothing less. I would not have started a thread on this - just had to add my opinion. I want GU to win just like you. I want GU to put the best guys out there - guys that are going to get it done. If someone is not playing good they should get limited minutes. Whether it be PMAC or Mallon.

Good to hear it, JayRay. But you got to admit, you are a bit of a negative nancy, yeah?

A glass half empty sort of person?

lothar98zag
03-06-2007, 11:47 AM
I am just as happy as every one else on here.

I'm glad you took the time to express your joy by adding positive posts to this thread.

BruddahZagJPoe
03-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Man what a debate over what....:confused:
Zags are a team and everyone gets credit from zero playing time to mass minutes.

I have always said, in Few we trust.

To all seniors, the whole team, and coaching staff -- hats and congrats to letting us enjoy aother post-season with you all and allow us to come along for the March ride.

Stats are not everything, or do we forget those former Zags whose hustle sparked life (i.e., diving on the floor) or those that banged with the other bigs to nullify the other team with out stats. Its a team sport.

Gonzaga basketball has always had those key players that sacrifice stats for what's best for the team. I will never forget those unsung players who gave it their all for the team and of course I cannot remember, including the second string that practices to make the first team better.

Common, our program is on the up-swing from the old no respect days to a common household name. Moreover, we are firmly planted with Zag roots and have weathered time as heavey as those Ad building bricks.

So lets clapp and support all from the old Kennel, to the new kennel and not wherever we play.

Go Zags.:D

RebornZag
03-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Agree with BrassZag: How can you NOT LOVE this guy....I've been a very big of critic of Sean all year, accept the last 3 weeks. Sean had found his way to the bench for most of the game, for most games until the Cheney incident. And then we NEEDED HIM big time...He realed this and has stepped up the best he can. He too finally went down against Memphis, which was more of a war then a game, and damn he kept playing....hobbling, game after game....I just figured it was one more loss!! But dang it, he'd show up at game time, game after game, ready to start and ready to play. Watching him run up and down the court was agonizing I am sure to us all...But he didn't care what he looked like....The team needed him, and he was going to be there for the team...DONT EVER SAY THIS GUY IS NOT A ZAG, GOT IT!!!

And there he was against Santa Clara last night, faced up agains the BEAST!!! 6'11" 305 pounds, Mallon hurt, and dang...He stopped The Beast!!! The beast only got 13 points, on 3-9 shooting (7 of them from the line) and 6 boards. We all wondered how we'd do against their Bigs??? We stopped them!!! Who would have guessed that Sean would do it??? Not me!!! We all talk about Pendo's heart (I do...all the time), but really guys, all of our guys have the heart of a Zag...All of them!!! And I'm as proud of Mallon as I am of any of them. Those of you who can't see it yet, hopefully you will because he WILL continue to play....He does something for the team that I think most of us can't see (I can't). But I know Few can!!!! And I also believe the team does!!! Damn...if Sean heals up and begins to shoot again, just think....he'll even be giving us more....AT JUST THE RIGHT TIME>