PDA

View Full Version : Pendo is the key reason why GU is dancing

CDC84
03-05-2007, 09:37 PM
It took a total team effort for Gonzaga to win the regular season and postseason WCC titles, and I really hate to single out one guy for praise....but the guy who deserves the largest amount of credit here is David Pendergraft.

This is what Pendo has done the last five games:

13.4 Points per game
65% field goal shooting
53% from three point land
6.4 Rebounds per game
1.8 Steals per game

Pendo is the guy who is most responsible for making up for the loss of Heytvelt. Compare his production the past 5 games to what took place the rest of the year...

If he doesn't step it up, GU doesn't dance...end of story. Again, everyone had to step it up, but for me, Pendo has been the key guy in this thing.

gonza
03-05-2007, 09:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/photos?photoId=1456859&gameId=270642250

brasszag
03-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Aside from the name-flub.

That's an AWESOME pic.

Larryzag
03-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Downs as a close second. He is playing awesome.

FuManShoes
03-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Totally agree on Pendo being the x-factor offensively, but I would argue that Downs' rebounding has also been a huge, huge factor. I think he almost had another double-double tonight. He was really pressing offensively tonight, but did enough on the glass to prevent SCU from tearing GU up on the inside. So as much as Pendo has really stepped up, I still maintain it's been a combined effort that has negated Heytvelt's loss.

GonzagaLove
03-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Could not agree more CDC. In addition to his great play, Pendo is the leader of this team with his work ethic and great attitude.

An arguement could be made for Kuso, too.

It has been an up and down year, but this could go down as one of my favorite teams of all time. Now it is time to make some noise.

Nevtelen
03-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Those are eye-popping stats, thanks CDC! Pendo has really stepped up and I'm pretty sure everyone on this board would have agreed even without the mathematical proof. The red-head has been HUGE. He's been a key player since Stanford, I'd say, but he's put it into another gear recently. Gotta love the guy.

roxdoc
03-05-2007, 09:52 PM
It was the change in offense which gave DP and Others the opportunity to step up and David did as well as anyone in that department. Just imagine if events didn't happen as they did. We would still be trying to pound the ball inside or attempting to wait for Raivio to break free from a suffocating defense on every play. Our present situation is a lot less predictable, a lot more enjoyable to watch, and definitely more successful than our old broken record game. A lot of that enjoyment is seeing Pendo be given the opportunity at long last to show us what he can do. I hope the coaches are taking notes for next year.

Nevtelen
03-05-2007, 10:01 PM
I agree - the offense has looked a LOT better since mid-January or so. In some ways, I think there was some attempt to pound a square peg in a round hole offensively sometimes this season and not enough practice time at home to correct it. The team has looked a lot better since the change. Agree that it'd be nice to see again next year.

EL MUSTACIO
03-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Is this the same guy who couldnt play only a few weeks ago?

spkngrl
03-05-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm loving all those pictures. :-D Of course, I had to put that picture of Pendo as my wallpaper for my desktop :)

GonzagaGurl08
03-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks for those stats CDC. I completely agree with you. Big Red is taking over, stepping it up. Its great to see Pendo finally show us what he can do. Don't forget he's been playing out of position his enitre GU career, something that doesn't help with the scoring. Maybe I'm biased b/c I know Pendo, but I'm finally glad to see him doing well. Just my 2 cents.

rawkmandale
03-05-2007, 11:51 PM
I agree with you, GonzagaGurl08, although we might say that he has always done well, and is now receiving the recognition he deserves. Since you know him, please tell him about how much people appreciate his attitude and approach to the game.

RenoZag
03-06-2007, 12:06 AM
That picture of Pendo is a classic. . .he looks like a mountain man who just killed a big ol bear with his bare hands. . .

McZag
03-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Pendergraft said. "I mean, we came through this like brothers, especially after what happened a month ago. This is awesome, an amazing feeling."

jazzdelmar
03-06-2007, 06:30 AM
....the quintessential Zag......no doubt, CD, great stats.......Downs' bounding has been a close 2nd with respect to stepping up......One of these days, MD is gonna hit about 12 of 15.........and they will dub him the next Ammo......not quite the fire of Ammo, but nearly as good a shooter and maybe a better rebounder.........

LongIslandZagFan
03-06-2007, 06:35 AM
... gave us two guys that stepped up.

IMHO Pendo+Downs is way better than Heytvelt. They made up for his production and then some.

If Josh is back next year... imagine this starting 5:

Bouldin - PG
Pargo - SG
Downs - SF
Pendo - PF
Heytvelt - C

Toss in Kuso with solid minutes....

:drool:

jazzdelmar
03-06-2007, 06:44 AM
.............Bouldin at the PG???? They will come after u, all the dunk lovers.....Hey. LI, is Roberts safe? Down here, this morning's paper has Holland on the way out at USD.............on the local radio a few days ago, Bill Frieder was saying he wd have loved the SJU job a few yrs ago and lamented whats happened in Hillcrest......But u knw all that:mad:

Birddog
03-06-2007, 06:44 AM
The Brewster Rooster doing some well deserved crowing.

Birddog

Birddog
03-06-2007, 06:45 AM
The Brewster Rooster doing some well deserved crowing.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/photos?photoId=1456859&gameId=270642250

Birddog

LongIslandZagFan
03-06-2007, 06:49 AM
.............Bouldin at the PG???? They will come after u, all the dunk lovers.....Hey. LI, is Roberts safe? Down here, this morning's paper has Holland on the way out at USD.............on the local radio a few days ago, Bill Frieder was saying he wd have loved the SJU job a few yrs ago and lamented whats happened in Hillcrest......But u knw all that:mad:

Pargo will get even more dunk opps at SG if you ask me. Matt is such a natural passer that I'd like to see him run the point next year.

IMHO Roberts should be safe. His recruiting is solid and they have improved year after year. They should be solidly in the mix next year. Nobody on Redmen.com is calling for his head so that is one positive sign for him. Jarvis really really drove that program into a deep hole. Roberts is still climbing out, but he is close enough to reach the edge of that hole now.

HillBillyZag
03-06-2007, 11:12 AM
A poem: When the game is on the line, and we need a board or shot,theres only one Zag I can name who'll be there more than not. He does'nt leap the highest, He's not the fastest on the floor, but if they measured heart & fight,his rating would be out of sight. You never see him half-step,or give less than his best, whatever PENDO's called to do, He'll always pass the test!Congrats on making the WCC All-Tourney-Team, David. We are so proud of you!

sonuvazag
03-06-2007, 11:24 AM
I've always liked Pendo's game and his step-up of late seems to have been due to the extra opportunities.

Let's give credit also to whoever on the coaching staff thought of running the pick-and-pop to death between D-Rav and Pendo. Genius. If any team decides to play through those screens, D-Rav will have 35 points.

UberZagFan
03-06-2007, 12:28 PM
PENDO FOR PRESIDENT!

Where can I get my shirt?