PDA

View Full Version : Appears Doubtful for Tyler Haws

BobZag
04-19-2008, 09:09 AM
From Kingwood Classic in Houston--

Tyler Haws, who finished with 15 points in a blow out win by Salt Lake Metro, has BYU (offer), Utah (offer), Harvard, Stanford (offer from former staff), Marquette and Wake Forest on his list. A sharp shooter with a high basketball IQ, Hawes has the ability to create his own shot with the dribble as well.

hls97
04-19-2008, 09:13 AM
My advice: Don't turn down a Harvard education. If you're not going to play in the NBA (and Tyler likely won't), take the Harvard schooling and make your way in the world.

BobZag
04-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Stanford isn't chopped liver but you're right about Harvard.

applezag
04-19-2008, 10:42 AM
My advice: Don't turn down a Harvard education. If you're not going to play in the NBA (and Tyler likely won't), take the Harvard schooling and make your way in the world.

I'm surprised the Ivies don't get more guys using this logic. I guess it shows how much the pros motivate basketball players and how many guys hang on to the NBA dream, even if it's obvious at a young age that while they are very good, they are not NBA players.

zagsfanforlife
04-19-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm surprised the Ivies don't get more guys using this logic. I guess it shows how much the pros motivate basketball players and how many guys hang on to the NBA dream, even if it's obvious at a young age that while they are very good, they are not NBA players.

Not many outstanding players have the 4.3 -4.5 gpa needed to get into Harvard Either :) Harvard does not make exceptions for athletes

Nevtelen
04-19-2008, 11:12 AM
The Ivy also doesn't give schollies, right? So that might be a factor, too.

LynetteG
04-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Didn't I read somewhere the school rankings nationally for academics are #1 Harvard #2 Yale #3 Stanford? I'd take Stanford in a heartbeat if I played BB. Would not like to play for TA at Harvard, no way.

applezag
04-19-2008, 11:14 AM
While it's not true that Harvard doesn't make exceptions to its minimum standards for athletes, they will take lower end guys who are athletes. I had a buddy who played football there and got in with a 3.6 and 1180 SATs. Fine marks, but not normally what we think of as Harvard material.

krozman
04-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Not many outstanding players have the 4.3 -4.5 gpa needed to get into Harvard Either :) Harvard does not make exceptions for athletes

What the hell kind of school system goes above 4.0 for grading? So now a 4.0 is the new B+?

applezag
04-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Some schools weight honors or AP classes so students can go over the standard 4.0 scale.

zagsfanforlife
04-19-2008, 12:51 PM
most schools allow their ap classes to make it where a b counts as an a, a c as a b, and so on, in ap classes. also lots of high schools give A+'s for 98% and above.

thespywhozaggedme
04-19-2008, 01:12 PM
The Ivy also doesn't give schollies, right? So that might be a factor, too.

Technically no, realistically, yes as of a few years ago. From a q&a on a yahoo message board regarding that very topic:

While Ivy League schools don't give out athletic scholarships, they give out scholarships and other aid so that it will cover a coveted athlete's schools expenses. Basically, it's a full athletic scholarship. They just don't call it that. Semantics really.

ZagNut08
04-19-2008, 02:36 PM
What the hell kind of school system goes above 4.0 for grading? So now a 4.0 is the new B+?

California, for one

spudzag
04-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Haws had us listed early, but as far as I can remember we never had any feedback that the staff was interested in the young man. We appear to be focused on the Hendersons.

Looks like he is headed in a great direction given his offers.

BobZag
04-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Haws had us listed early, but as far as I can remember we never had any feedback that the staff was interested in the young man. We appear to be focused on the Hendersons.

Looks like he is headed in a great direction given his offers.

True, but there was no other news to report. :)

ZagNative
04-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah, BobZag often likes to accompany his announcements with lyrics fron songs ... One of the advantages for a woman of a certain age is that we remember song lyrics like this (as sung by Billie Holiday):

As dorothy parker once said
To her boyfriend, "fare thee well"
As columbus announced
When he knew he was bounced,
"it was swell, isabel, swell"

As abelard said to eloise,
"don't forget to drop a line to me, please"
As juliet cried, in her romeo's ear,
"romeo, why not face the fact, my dear"

It was just one of those things
Just one of those crazy flings
One of those bells that now and then rings
Just one of those things

It was just one of those nights
Just one of those fabulous flights
A trip to the moon on gossamer wings
Just one of those things

If we'd thought a bit, of the end of it
When we started painting the town
We�d have been aware that our love affair
Was too hot, not to cool down

So good-bye, dear, and amen
Here's hoping we meet now and then
It was great fun
But it was just one of those things

If we'd thought a bit, of the end of it
When we started painting the town
We'd have been aware that our love affair
Was too hot, not to cool down

So good-bye, dear, and amen
Here's hoping we meet now and then
It was great fun
But it was just one of those thingsWell, maybe the gossamer wings part doesn't fit, and maybe the "too hot not to cool down" isn't on point .. But apparently, it was ... just one of those things ...

NJZag
04-19-2008, 06:27 PM
While it's not true that Harvard doesn't make exceptions to its minimum standards for athletes, they will take lower end guys who are athletes. I had a buddy who played football there and got in with a 3.6 and 1180 SATs. Fine marks, but not normally what we think of as Harvard material.

They use something called the Academic Index.

Try it, you'll think its FUN! (http://www.collegeconfidential.com/academic_index3.htm)

And they have "bands" (quartiles) in a pretty complicated athletics admissions (http://media.www.browndailyherald.com/media/storage/paper472/news/2008/02/29/Sports/For-Ivy.Admission.Athletes.Face.A.Different.Standard-3244380.shtml)formula. The AI range varies, because the schools have different sized student populations. So you'll hear Dartmouth (enrollment: 4000) Big Greenies claiming that Penn (enrollment: 9800) has a competitive advantage in athletic recruiting because those durn QUAKERS will "let just about anybody in the front gate!"
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Lynette's right about T.A. -- he's raising some eyebrows about Harvard (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/sports/ncaabasketball/02harvard.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1&oref=slogin), since arriving to Pahk his Cahh in Hahvahd Yahd.

spudzag
04-19-2008, 07:25 PM
True, but there was no other news to report. :)

News of a big bodied JUCO before May 21 would be nice thing to report! :D

krozman
04-19-2008, 08:09 PM
I find that utterly disgusting. If you recalculate my GPA in high school (3.14) to account for the AP classes (i took them all), i'd probably be around 3.75, and I would have gone to Whitman instead of Gonzaga.....Columbia law program instead of Gonzaga.....never would have met my wife....would have been an angry New Yorker........

DOWN WITH UPGRADING GPA!

:p :p :p

roxdoc
04-19-2008, 09:50 PM
To correct a couple of things from above, most Ivy schools do not give give credit for AP classes taken. Also, Princeton is #1, Harvard #2, Yale #3 with over the last couple of years Penn, MIT, Cal Tech, Duke, and Stanford all battling for #4.

Now back on track: Lets get that back to the basket guy signed up!

a13coach
04-20-2008, 09:13 AM
I find that utterly disgusting. If you recalculate my GPA in high school (3.14) to account for the AP classes (i took them all), i'd probably be around 3.75, and I would have gone to Whitman instead of Gonzaga.....Columbia law program instead of Gonzaga.....never would have met my wife....would have been an angry New Yorker........

DOWN WITH UPGRADING GPA!

:p :p :p

FIW, GU un-weights all GPA's so that all students applying are on a level field.

BBskorer
04-20-2008, 09:38 PM
My advice: Don't turn down a Harvard education. If you're not going to play in the NBA (and Tyler likely won't), take the Harvard schooling and make your way in the world.Since Haws appears headed elsewhere (tho' I definitely would've loved seeing him as a Zag), the above advice is for him. It is not, however, to be given to Marshall Henderson.

From NY2LAsports (http://www.ny2lasports.com/NY2LA%20Sports%20Articles/2009MarshallHendersonUpdate.htm)

Q & A with Class of 2009 PG - Marshall Henderson (TX)

By Antonio Curro - NY2LA Sports

March 5, 2008

One of the top PG prospects in the Class of 2009 has been getting it done in the state of Texas for the past few years. While a lot of the attention in the 09' class is going to guys like Nolan Dennis, 6'2" PG Marshall Henderson has quietly become one of the top junior PG prospects in the country and also drawn comparisons to former Marquette star Travis Diener. We recently caught up with LD Bell High School standout as he prepares for another grassroots travel season with the Dallas Mustangs.

AC - What's the status of your recruitment right now?
MH - I've narrowed my choices down to 5 schools.

AC - Who are they?
MH - Gonzaga, Notre Dame, Stanford, Bradley, and Harvard

AC - What are thoughts about those programs at this time?
MH - I've taken unofficial visits to all of those schools except Harvard and they have excellent support for their basketball programs from the administration and the communities.

AC - When do you expect to make a decision?
MH - Probably by the end of the August, once the summer season is over.

AC - What are the biggest factors you're looking at right now regarding where you go to college?
MH - First and foremost I want to go where I can play a lot. I don't want to be somewhere where I play off an on. I want to go where I can come in an play right away. I also want to be in a position where we have a chance to get into the NCAA tournament each year. Winning is important to me and I want to go where we're going to win and also have a great support system for the program.

AC - What do you think you're biggest asset is going to be at the collegiate level?
MH - Shooting. Some guys can shoot and some can't, my ability to shoot the basketball is going to be important for me in college.

AC - What area of your game do you think you need to continue to develop and improve in the coming years?
MH - My defense and PG skills. It's going to be important for me to be able to play defense every night and be a playmaker on the offensive end.

AC - Lastly, what's been the most surprising thing you've learned during your recruitment?
MH - The phone calls! Initially it was cool but sometimes it gets to be a bit overwhelming.

AC - Thanks for your time and best of luck to you this season.
MH - Thanks.
Interview conducted before the NCAA's. Hopefully Henderson's affinity for the Zags still has us 'first' (at least he started his school list with us). I'd be fine with any of the guard options that have been mentioned on the board, but I'm pullin' for Hendo. As I picture it, he's got all the shooting skills of the Okie kid (;)) , but without all the pub. Yes, a very good "talent to hype" ratio.

MJGoGaels
04-21-2008, 03:05 PM

Thank you, because my classmate did the same thing as a football player for Harvard with similar scores as he enrolled in the fall of 1983 and graduated in 1987.