PDA

View Full Version : Why do people hate Gonzaga?

zagster318
03-05-2007, 07:53 PM
I can understand the WCC, but what about the national scene? I was perusing the ESPN board, and there are at least four, large threads filled with hatred for the Zags.

Crusader Rick
03-05-2007, 07:56 PM
A haven for morons.

SteeleMan
03-05-2007, 07:58 PM
i was kind of happy to see george mason lose so another team could get to the dance... maybe it's the same kind of thing.

McZag
03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Because the Zags steal attention away from their precious. mediocre, BCS programs. Many people cannot accept the Zags because of the weakness of the WCC. But most of them can't talk to loud because we've made the Sweet 16 too many times. That's the way it seems here in Big-10 country.

zaguarxj
03-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Because they're very good and, therefore, they get lots of media attention.

zagster318
03-05-2007, 08:02 PM
It seems people love to cheer on the underdog, at least until they pull themselves up to another level. Then the hatred begins...

sanfranzagsguy20
03-05-2007, 08:02 PM
its funny one guy called us garbage...okay? all in all part of it is jealousy it would be interesting to see who these guys root for in college bball...one guy admiited he was a santa clara alumnus...i dont know...its pretty sad that you cant at least respect sheer and utter dominance in a conference and yea they have air tight cases about getting bounced early in ncaa's but what? would you rather have us not make it? i guess thats the case....be a feel good story for a few years and then go away so all of the fans of the bottom feeder teams in major conferences can feek better about themselves? give me a break these guys who post on here arent even worth what i just wrote here

brasszag
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
I ran some numbers on the other board before it got sent to /dev/null - actually over history GU was 1 game total overacheived for seed over their history in the NCAA.

Not GREAT, but not terrible, and not at all disgraceful.

EL MUSTACIO
03-05-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm with McZag, its cause we steal attention and cause were good. Why should the world not be envious of GU BBALL?

ZagNative
03-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I think it depends on where you go - which forums you visit. I never visit general forums like ESPN because they're populated by too many passive-aggressive idiots.

What matters to me is not whether we're liked, but whether we're respected, especially whether we're respected by knowledgeable fans who love basketball. I visit sites like the Memphis Tigers fan board and find a great deal of respect for the Zags there, including one recent lengthy thread where people overwhelmingly wanted to extend the home and away because it was great for both programs. They usually have a Zags' thread going during our games.

Similarly, while I find some GU haters on the Kansas board because of Micah's defection to our program, I also find a lot of admirers of the program.

Arizona fans also frequently post admiring threads about the Zags program.

Bottom line is that I read a lot more positive than negative about the Zags program on fan forums, but then I usually only visit sites where the fans' basketball IQ is pretty good.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-05-2007, 09:40 PM
i liked your post zagnative...i too agree that i would much rather be respected than liked...i was especially impressed with the memphis fans after that game...they were the classiest opposing fans that i have ever seen on this board hands down..

gamagin
03-05-2007, 09:57 PM
fan is short for fanatic

vaboris
03-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Any links to those threads ??

TexasZagFan
03-06-2007, 02:18 AM
Because the Zags steal attention away from their precious. mediocre, BCS programs. Many people cannot accept the Zags because of the weakness of the WCC. But most of them can't talk to loud because we've made the Sweet 16 too many times. That's the way it seems here in Big-10 country.

If love is too strong a word, then respected. Our record against Big 12 teams over the past several years has been excellent.

VanZagar
03-06-2007, 04:31 AM
"Familiarity breeds contempt" Zags are no longer the little team from Spokane. They're always on tv. They can recruit nationally.

mdZag23
03-06-2007, 06:09 AM
As a program we are getting to the same point that Duke is when it comes to dislike. Meteoric Success mixed in with having what others want, breeds envy and dislike.

Your much more fun to like when you are an underdog. It just comes with the territory.

Bulldog
03-06-2007, 06:47 AM
I agree with that, people hate winners when they are losers.

Rubbadub
03-06-2007, 07:31 AM
the espn boards are always good for a laugh. All zag hater threads are alike. there are some simple rules that are fundamental to making an anti-zag troll thread:
1. if the zags beat a team, say the team was overrated. bc that proves something somehow. Also, say that the Zags barely won no matter what the score was.
2. if the zags lose, say the other team was terrible or at least mediocre and still blew the Zags away. Again, don't worry about what actually happened or what the final score actually was.
3. Don't use any stats to back your arguments up. that would make too much sense. In fact, if you are fairly confident that the game was so long ago that noone would remember the stats of the game in question, make some up.
4. All caps and bad language are good. Nothing proves your point better than sounding like a toddler throwing a hissy fit. Saying a specific player "sucks" is equally as effective.
5. Don't mention your own favorite team, bc in all likelyhood that would destroy your argument.
6. If one of the zag fans you are berating find out you are a supporter of a team the zags just beat, disappear.

zagster318
03-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Any links to those threads ??

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=ncaa&id=ncb&tid=583104&lid=8

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=ncaa&id=ncb&tid=583253&lid=17

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=ncaa&id=ncb&tid=583224&lid=16

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=ncaa&id=ncb&tid=583131&lid=34

BobZag
03-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Why did fans boo the late Dale Earnhardt during his prime?

Why do fans boo Duke?

Why do fans like to see Payton Manning lose?

Why are fans turning against Tom Brady and the Patriots?

Why do fans dislike the Yankees?

Why do fans enjoy seeing USC football get in trouble?

Answer:

Because they are/were the best and they win/won too much.

john montana
03-06-2007, 10:25 AM
same reason they hate duke...we win a lot.

sonuvazag
03-06-2007, 10:37 AM
The level of hatred out there is a veiled form of respect... the fact that so many people care enough to take the time to post anonymous messages dogging GU is proof that GU Basketball matters...

You don't see anyone posting hateful things about other WCC school across national boards because no one respects them.

former1dog
03-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Why do people hate Gonzaga?

To be honest, I don't particularly care about the opinions of uninformed 15 year olds playing tough guy on unmoderated internet message boards.

Stick to this board, Zagster318, and you won't have to worry about it.

;)

siliconzag
03-06-2007, 11:18 AM
is ususally an emotional response (talk about stating the obvious). When a team is an underdog everybody loves them. Some teams are still loved when successful. What I think turns off John Q Public more than anything else is arrogance.

Stanford is the archetypal example of arrogance. They are despised far and wide for it. Santa Clara hates them, Cal hates them, Oregon schools hate them, etc.

Gonzaga fans in my opinion are developing a bit of attitude. We are no longer the "gee, shucks" kind of fans we used to be. We are probably without intending to be so, becoming a little arrogant in the eyes of the have nots. And we are not good losers. And I include myself in that mix. That said, I think there is plenty of love for Gonzaga, and if I suggest we focus on the Gonzaga love, instead of the Gonzaga hatred.

Sili

VanZagar
03-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Zags are no longer the little underdog team from Spokane. They have a national following. They recruit nationally/internationally and have far more national media coverage than any Pac 10 team except UCLA. Have nots rarely appreciate the upper class. AMMO probably didn't win us many new friends. We love him as a local guy who made good. An outsider might see him as a one dimensional gunner; quick to taunt less talented people and a crybaby in defeat. We like to talk about our tough schedule but it really doesn't matter if we win the tough games. The easy part of the schedule is the part that comes with a ticket to the big dance. In the Pac 10 0r ACC the hard part of the schedule wins the ticket. People resent our opportunity to enter the tournament even in an off year.