PDA

View Full Version : Casey Calvary is in spokane

GonzagaGurl08
04-17-2008, 04:46 PM
I just got back from the gym where I watched LG, Pargo, Ira, and Casey Calvary hoop it up. I'm not sure what Casey is in town for. He said it was the first time in about a year that he had played bball. He was looking good, not to mention he is a nice guy to boot.

Spokanicoug
04-17-2008, 05:48 PM
I saw him at the YMCA last week. A friend told me that he lives here now and has a house in Blackwood (off Hwy 95). But my friends are known to tell lies.

His putback jam is my favorite Zag play ever.

ZagNative
04-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Would it be neat if the coaching staff could find a spot for Casey to fill, i.e., the "Minister of Toughness?

Every time I see the name of one of our greats like Casey mentioned, I get sucked off into the vastness of the internet for more great stories about those guys. This one is from Sports Illustrated November 15, 1999 (http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1017691/index.htm):

Coming so close to a Final Four berth also has a way of keeping you hungry. The Bulldogs hope to satisfy that craving by relying on seven players who are back from last year's team. The toughest of them is 6'8", 235-pound junior forward Casey Calvary, an already emphatic dunker and shot blocker who has added 20 pounds of muscle and increased his bench press from 270 to 370 in the off-season. Calvary, a history major who is drawn to study England's past in part because of the number of beheadings, is known for having a bit of a temper in practice. "Casey might be the strongest player in the country," says senior guard Richie Frahm, "and he takes everything personally. It's a measure of your manhood just getting on the court with him."We need more history and/or philosophy majors. They seem to have more of a killer instinct than the "Sports Management" types... take that back. I think Ronny was a sports management major, but sports management in five languages ...

GreenStreetElite
04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Ammo was leaning the Sport Management way, he had a killer instinict and would mix it up with anyone. Casey does live in town, with his wife and kids. Really nice guy, I think he is also finishing up some school work. Loved watching that guy play.

zagco
04-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Casey was benching 370?!? Holy crap! That's what Zagco's talking about!

Zagco has long been suspicous of our weight training program. Casey was obviously head and shoulders above everyone, but Zagco had no idea he was loading up more than 3 fishcakes on each side of the bar! Damn!

ZagNative
04-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Casey v. St. John's in the NCAA tournament the following spring after that article:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Others/2000-03-18-Casey-StJohns.jpg

jim77
04-18-2008, 12:23 AM
I totally agree ZN.....MOT (Minister of toughness) It would be fantastic to see Casey "helping" the fellas.

Vizagra
04-18-2008, 02:52 PM
From what I know he works for Baker Construction and does live off of HWY 95.