• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

This would be a nightmare

If Pargo and Heytvelt were to leave GU for the NBA, imagine what our Zags would be like next year....

Goodson/Gibbs
    Bouldin
    Gray/Downs
    Daye/?
    Sacre/Will/Poling

or

Bouldin
    Downs
    Gray
    Daye
    Sacre/Will

We had better start praying that this doesn't happen. Please, Lord...let us have one more year with these two guys (Heytvelt, Pargo).

Even if one of the two leaves I think we're in for trouble, and especially if Josh leaves.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • zag67
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

I know that we will not be great, but I do not think that it would be terrible:
    PG - Goodson/Bouldin/Gray
    SG - Bouldin/Gray/Gibbs
    SF - Downs/Daye
    PF - Daye/Ira
    C - Sacre/Will

Now, I will say that Sacre, Daye and the Freshmen will have to grow up quickly and the rest need to play solid basketball. But Goodson will give a good ball handler and loves to pass the ball. Gray, Daye, Downs, Gibbs and Bouldin can shoot the 3. Daye, Ira, bouldin, and Goodson can drive. I think that we would have a solid defensive team.

We would be hurting against teams with power bigs inside. But I still think that they would be fun to watch and in some ways would make Fews job easier in the substitution. But it also would mean NO INJURIES.

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2008

I think that it's pretty unlikely that either will leave, so let's all take a deep breath. Even if this happens, I think we'll still have a pretty competitive squad. There's a lot of very talented players listed in those mock starting line-ups listed above, and JP and JH leaving would give Austin the opportunity to put up some HUGE numbers.
      What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• pbriz
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
        I think that it's pretty unlikely that either will leave, so let's all take a deep breath. Even if this happens, I think we'll still have a pretty competitive squad. There's a lot of very talented players listed in those mock starting line-ups listed above, and JP and JH leaving would give Austin the opportunity to put up some HUGE numbers.
        After hearing that LG is supposedly leaving, I have to start believing that JP will be back. As well as Heytvelt.

It sounds like the staff is going after a big for 08, which puts us over the schollie. LG leaving would put us in the okay again.

If JP was definitely leaving, wouldn't LG stick around? Or perhaps he just wants more time and he isn't getting it here.

Lots of different theories as to whats happening behind the scenes...
        It's F4 or bust.

Comment

• Reborn
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

I don't believe that either Sacre or Will are anywhere near close to being a top flight low post player yet. I think each need another year. If Josh leaves I have severe doubt that we'll make it to the NCAA tournament next year. Pargo's departure would be a huge loss in my opinion as well, but not as bad as Josh's.
          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Ezag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
            I don't believe that either Sacre or Will are anywhere near close to being a top flight low post player yet. I think each need another year. If Josh leaves I have severe doubt that we'll make it to the NCAA tournament next year. Pargo's departure would be a huge loss in my opinion as well, but not as bad as Josh's.
            I agree, we would be good at least as far as the WCC goes but not dominate and probably nothing against top 25 teams

Comment

• jayray
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Feb 2007

Does Josh really have any hope what so ever of going to the NBA? Your question is purely hypothetical in my book and has about a 99.9% chance of NOT happening. I can see Josh transferring or going to Europe but no way to the NBA.

Comment

• GoBulldogs
                Bulldog Fan
                • Dec 2007

I think Sacre, given an entire summer to work on his offensive skill set, could be a very effective post player for us, and Josh leaving wouldn't be the nightmare some think it would be.

Comment

• krozman
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2008

Every time I see threads like this, I wonder if we're overlooking that roster talent is not even (in my opinion) the biggest reason a team is successful. Ask any coach whether they'd like 2 all americans or an entire season of higher level (but not POY type) talent with ZERO injuries the entire season, and I bet some coaches would choose the healthy team.

I think some of us don't own up to the fact that injuries contributed to the lack of inconsistent play last season, and regardless of who stays or who leaves, every coach just wants his team to play hard and stay healthy. Either way, i'm rooting for Gonzaga.

In short, heres my split on success:

Talent 15%
                  Experience 50%
                  Health / Consistent Rotation 30%
                  Competitive Attitude 5%

Edit: X Factors!!!
                  Kennel Club 25%
                  Home Advantage 50%
                  COWBELL!!! 25%
                  Krozman
                  GU student 1996-2000
                  Law Student 2000-2003