gamagin
04-17-2008, 03:30 PM
I hope he has a great career.

Spokanicoug
04-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Not as much as I do.

BroncoZAG615
04-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I feel like he is a kid we should have given a chance. Right here in our backyard, probably had some solid interest in GU, I know he attended a few games.

With the right guys around him which we have and good coaching I feel like he would have been really special here. He has loads of talent. Too bad.

SunDevilGolfZag
04-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Tony Bennet's good coaching and discipline + Dee Casto's potential could spell great things. Except for when they play GU, I wish them all the best

pbriz
04-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I feel like he is a kid we should have given a chance. Right here in our backyard, probably had some solid interest in GU, I know he attended a few games.

With the right guys around him which we have and good coaching I feel like he would have been really special here. He has loads of talent. Too bad.

I agree and he would have filled a serious void on the inside that we need.

Chargers4444Life
04-17-2008, 06:18 PM
I feel like he is a kid we should have given a chance. He has loads of talent. Too bad.

I know what you mean. I can't believe that moron Shanahan drafted Cutler (talk about a bust), and pass up Cromartie, a first class corner who just picks him off up and down the field. There is just no team chemistry...but I guess that is what you get as a Bronco...sigh...sometimes I wish Denver would just clean up its act. It's disgusting.

BroncoZAG615
04-17-2008, 06:23 PM
I know what you mean. I can't believe that moron Shanahan drafted Cutler (talk about a bust), and pass up Cromartie, a first class corner who just picks him off up and down the field. There is just no team chemistry...but I guess that is what you get as a Bronco...sigh...sometimes I wish Denver would just clean up its act. It's disgusting.

I've tried to hold my tongue for awhile. I thought you would be banned by now. Shannahan has two rings with Denver, granted it was 10 years ago. You guys haven't won a Super Bowl since the AFL-NFL merger.

I apologize to the Gonzaga fans on this board looking for GU talk but I can't deal with too much Broncos hatred. Chargers4444life, I would be happy to pick this up with you on the general boards.

ZagNative
04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Can't help myself: Chargers4444Life's posts make me laugh. They have a certain Phil Hartman-Dana Carvey quality about them, a "Who am I? Where am I?" quality, maybe your drunk uncle rearing up on one elbow in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner to rave on about Winston Churchill being a cross-dresser but a hellova recruiter. Makes no sense, and that's just the way we like it.

MontanaZag
04-17-2008, 09:52 PM
:lmao:

Zag 77
04-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Hope it all works out for the best for this kid, but I do not have any big qualms about GU not getting him. #1 he still has to pass an SAT or ACT, #2 he still has to graduate from Ferris, #3 he has had some substantial character issues at Ferris, Franklin and now Ferris again, #4 he just got booted from the home of the Ferris assistant coach who took hi in.

Maybe he won't turn out to be Kryptonite for Bennett, but they are going to have to put a full-time watchdog on him if he does become eligible at Wazzu.

ZagNative
04-17-2008, 10:36 PM
We try to be careful with damaging rumors about high school kids here, so with all due respect, I'm taking Zag 77's comments with the usual internet grain of salt. Here's what Vince Grippi's SR blog has to say (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7642):
Casto has yet to achieve NCAA Division I academic requirements, though he said he feels he is on course, having to finish some correspondence courses and having recently taken the ACT test and currently preparing for an upcoming SAT and another attempt at the ACT.

"You don't get your results for about eight weeks," Casto said, explaining his testing schedule, "so you don't want to be thinking, 'dang it, I should have taken it when I had the chance.'

"All I know is I'm a little off (the score I need). Hopefully, just by taking those a little more, I'll get the score I need."
That's it. Not included in the story space considerations is Casto will be receiving the scholarship formerly held by Stephen Sauls. Though he said he had an offer from Eastern Washington, Casto added he had talked with Washington a contingent offer based on eligibility Gonzaga and Georgetown among others. If he fails to reach the needed academic parameters, Casto can either attend a prep school think Curtis' Isaiah Thomas, a UW signee or earn an AA from a junior college.We've seen how far Gonzaga's staff went with Pargo, encouraging him and supporting him to do all he needed to do to qualify academically before he ever arrived on campus. I've got to think the same type of effort would have been invested in Casto, and it may just be that he didn't heed the lesson as well as Jeremy did. No regrets for me with this young man, though I'm hoping he takes advantage of the trust placed in him and the opportunities offered.

Chargers4444Life
04-18-2008, 01:53 AM

I couldn't agree with you more. Sometimes I wonder what they do up there in the mountains in their igloos..probably just wish they were in the warm southern california sun...with the Chargers.

Chargers4444Life
04-18-2008, 01:57 AM
I've tried to hold my tongue for awhile. I thought you would be banned by now. Shannahan has two rings with Denver, granted it was 10 years ago. You guys haven't won a Super Bowl since the AFL-NFL merger.

I apologize to the Gonzaga fans on this board looking for GU talk but I can't deal with too much Broncos hatred. Chargers4444life, I would be happy to pick this up with you on the general boards.

Bring it on Carol. You and old man Elway can bring your walking canes and can munch on your dentures while you watch the Broncos run out of town with their tails in between their legs calling for their mommies.

gozagswoohoo
04-18-2008, 06:48 AM
I like Casto, but I think Archuleta is going to win it all. Personally, I think Casto needs to lose the dreads.

cjm720
04-18-2008, 06:53 AM

Broncos suck; Chargers suck.

Go Seahawks!!!!

zagsballer
04-18-2008, 07:05 AM
The "rumors" haven't even made it to the thread. There has been no talk of his suspensions, his being caught stealilng, his failing etc. But let's not get into that.

I've known him and his family since he was 5, I wish all the best for him. I've played against him, and followed him, he has potential.

That said, I am very happy he is not a zag. I wish he wasn't a coug, but there is still time, so we'll see. I hope he turns things around, that would be a great story.

Good luck Bennet. This kid needs someone great like you.

ZagnetitForce
04-18-2008, 08:15 AM
For those of you in Spokane, see if you can get a copy of last weeks Inlander. There is a little bit in there on Castro. He has gone through more in his young life than many of us will even come close to, including losing both of his parents while he was very young. If I recall the article I believe his father was shot right in front of him when he was like 5 or so. Nobody, should be judging this kid.

deathchina
04-18-2008, 09:40 AM
As for all the "oh, and he hasn't even passed his ACT or SAT yet"...

remember, a certain young man on our team didn't get his qualifying score until late summer before he arrived on campus at GU.

BobZag
04-18-2008, 09:41 AM
I am excited and eager to watch Casto play next year for WSU!

Ezag
04-18-2008, 10:04 AM
We blew this one!

WestSeattleZag
04-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Hope it all works out for the best for this kid, but I do not have any big qualms about GU not getting him. #1 he still has to pass an SAT or ACT, #2 he still has to graduate from Ferris, #3 he has had some substantial character issues at Ferris, Franklin and now Ferris again, #4 he just got booted from the home of the Ferris assistant coach who took hi in.

Maybe he won't turn out to be Kryptonite for Bennett, but they are going to have to put a full-time watchdog on him if he does become eligible at Wazzu.

I never understand these type of comments, you guys all act like everyone on our team are 4.0 honor roll students who never have had any problems, I can think of at least three guys on our team who have had trouble passing the SAT and struggled in High School. If we were recruiting him, we'd all be talking about what a great ZAG he's going to be and what not. Washington public schools are not up to par as of late, especially with keeping kids on the right track. I think any college with a kid who has his talent will help him do that. Wake up man our Zags are far from perfect as well.

75Zag
04-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Young Mr. Casto is the perfect example of why the NBA needs to create a true training league that is similar to the "farm team" system of baseball. He is by all reports a genius on the basketball court, but from what I read he is not likely to thrive in an academic environment. Forcing him to go to college in order to further his basketball career is silly. He needs a couple of years to sharpen his skills and he can then move to the NBA where he ultimately belongs.

Good luck to him.

Rubbadub
04-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Most in this thread seem to assume GU was Casto's first choice and he didn't come here because of some gaffe by the staff...

Zag 77
04-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Don't get me wrong. I don't wish DeAngelo ill. It is just that he has a LOT of challenges and compared to guys who have come to GU with academic deficiencies. I just question whether Few and staff really were looking forward to worrying 24/7 about him.

If he can thrive at Wazzu and get his degree, then kudos to him and Tony Bennett. In fact, I would be first to nominate Bennett for Coach of the Decade if he can pull it off. However, Tony is going to need a few cases of Grecian Formula to cover all the gray hairs he is going to get.

Asotin
04-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Don't get me wrong. I don't wish DeAngelo ill. It is just that he has a LOT of challenges and compared to guys who have come to GU with academic deficiencies. I just question whether Few and staff really were looking forward to worrying 24/7 about him.

If he can thrive at Wazzu and get his degree, then kudos to him and Tony Bennett. In fact, I would be first to nominate Bennett for Coach of the Decade if he can pull it off. However, Tony is going to need a few cases of Grecian Formula to cover all the gray hairs he is going to get.

You are so wrong here. Just because you didn't hear the stories didn't mean they weren't there. In fact there are teachers at a certain high school who are still very upset that a certain current GU player was given a diploma let alone not expelled. (no I won't tell the story or say who, enough people know and hopefully this person has changed)

gamagin
04-19-2008, 09:38 AM
<<Young Mr. Casto is the perfect example of why the NBA needs to create a true training league that is similar to the "farm team" system of baseball.>>

I agree. I believe the nba is looking seriously at several euro bkb teams (to buy) and do just that. It makes a great deal of sense, too, One can only imagine the global talent pool that could generate over time.

Would love to invest in that possibility.

there is a thread here somewhere on that, too, fwiw.