PDA

View Full Version : OT - Oklahoma State chooses UMass' Travis Ford as next coach

CDC84
04-16-2008, 12:51 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=400739

Kind of an odd choice......

BroncoZAG615
04-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Very odd choice, but he was fantastic in the film "The Sixth Man"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120142/

Rubbadub
04-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Where is Ford from? UMass to OSU is going to be some uber culture shock.

cbbfanatic
04-16-2008, 01:12 PM
pretty sure ford played at uk back in the day...

i dont think its that odd of a signing, personally. i kinda like it. young, charismatic guy that will work hard and do all he can to build the program from the ground up. not necessarily huge hype, but you dont need that in a hire

omahazag
04-16-2008, 01:38 PM
pretty sure ford played at uk back in the day...

i dont think its that odd of a signing, personally. i kinda like it. young, charismatic guy that will work hard and do all he can to build the program from the ground up. not necessarily huge hype, but you dont need that in a hire

Agree. He seems like a "players coach" and one that will be able to pull top notch recruits w/in a short period of time. Good hire, imo.

CDC84
04-16-2008, 02:24 PM
What's odd about it is that they went from being willing to pay Self enough bread to be the highest paid coach in the college game to hiring Travis Ford. Total extremes. You would think the next stop in the coaching search would have been somewhere in between.

BTW....in case anyone missed it, Keno Davis is now the coach at Providence.

BobZag
04-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Providence hit a homerun.

Why doesn't some big ol' trucker guy just eat T-Bone Pickens, anyway?

Pleasant Peninsula
04-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Travis Ford played for Kentucky in the Jamal Mashburn era and then coached Eastern Kentucky to the tournament a few years ago before bolting to UMASS. He seems like a pretty decent choice to me. Not sure what else they have out there.

ToreroStudent
04-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Travis Ford played for Kentucky in the Jamal Mashburn era and then coached Eastern Kentucky to the tournament a few years ago before bolting to UMASS. He seems like a pretty decent choice to me. Not sure what else they have out there.

I think that this is a very good hire. Ford provides a sort of spark that is hard to find in today's game. He gets really excited out there and, because of it, his players love him. OSU made a great choice. They should show some positives steps within the next couple of years. Good hire!

cbbfanatic
04-17-2008, 04:32 AM
What's odd about it is that they went from being willing to pay Self enough bread to be the highest paid coach in the college game to hiring Travis Ford. Total extremes. You would think the next stop in the coaching search would have been somewhere in between.

BTW....in case anyone missed it, Keno Davis is now the coach at Providence.

i dont see it that way, regarding ford being an extreme from self. ford's name is one you hear rumored for some pretty good coaching vacancies, he is a known up and comer that was inevitably going to end up at a solid BCS program, he's not self or calipari or gillispie, but he's not exactly from off the map either.

not sure how i feel about the providence deal, seems like a gamble... then again, after being turned down by countless other guys, they needed someone to say yes. tough job trying to rebuild in the big east these days, lots of good coaches in that league

HillBillyZag
04-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Travis Ford( OSU) & John Pelphry(Arkansas) were two of the home grown Kentucky kids that Patino developed. Both were typical blue-collar overachieving, basketball savvy, battlers who have never lost thier competitiveness and love of the game. Both Okie State & the Razorbacks programs will flourish under their guidance. Those two and Darren Feldhaus were three of my favorite Cats.

Chargers4444Life
04-17-2008, 08:40 AM
he was fantastic in the film "The Sixth Man"

I know he is a great sixth man zig-a-ti-zag. Luke Walton will single handedly sweep those Chicken Nuggets as the Lakers go on for their fifteenth Championship.

...Broncos smell like rotten bugers.