PDA

View Full Version : Pargo Declares

roxdoc
04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
www.gonzagabulletin.com

CDC84
04-15-2008, 02:12 PM
No agent, may still come back, etc.

Gonzaga's starting point guard Jeremy Pargo will declare himself eligible for the 2008 NBA draft, but will not hire an agent, retaining eligibility if he chooses to play his senior year.

ToreroStudent
04-15-2008, 02:19 PM
He's just testing the waters. If he participates in all of these camps and does well, he might stay with his decision. If not, I think that there is a very very good chance that he will be back in a Zags uniform next year. This just happens to be a very deep point guard draft and, no matter how well Pargo plays in camps, I don't see him being a top top point guard in the draft. His value would go up if he chooses to come back for his Senior year. Good for him though. You should all be proud of your university for producing numerous NBA prospects. Quite an accomplishment for a WCC school. Good luck Pargo. I wish you the best. Hell of a career no matter what.

everybodycougsit
04-15-2008, 02:36 PM
I still think this could be close. If Pargo promises his mom he'll get a degree and he plays REALLY WELL at the draft camp (he does play well in key situations) and scouts tell him he's ready and that he could go, early second round say, he might go. Pargo came to Gonzaga to go to the NBA not to play in the NCAA tournament.

exiledhusky
04-15-2008, 02:46 PM
No agent, may still come back, etc.

Larry Brown when he was coach at Philly said of Kevin Ollie, if he had even a decent jump shot, he's be an allstar in this league. Pargo is in the same boat.

One of the very few skills a pg can develope, note I did not say improve, between the 3rd and 4th years is a jumper. JP has much to gain and little to lose coming back and trying to add that to his considerable repertoir.

BobZag
04-15-2008, 02:57 PM
2008--

DJ Augustin
D Rose
OJ Mayo
D Collison
J Bayless

That's not even the full list that Jeremy would be up against. Next year is a nother story. Much less crowed, much less talented, to be honest. But he'll get great feedback and learn how he sizes up vs the best. :)

The Oregon Spike
04-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Jeremy is a 2nd rounder this year. He will return. Smart to declare, see where he stacks up....but if he stays, he stands to make a lot more money.

I would think the WCC is funner than the NBDL

ZagManFan
04-15-2008, 03:28 PM
2008--

DJ Augustin
D Rose
OJ Mayo
D Collison
J Bayless

That's not even the full list that Jeremy would be up against. Next year is a nother story. Much less crowed, much less talented, to be honest. But he'll get great feedback and learn how he sizes up vs the best. :)

You could probably add Ty Lawson and maybe Chalmers to that list as well.

CDC84
04-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Imagine how the guts of Texas and North Carolina fans are turning. If Augustin or Lawson bolt, they can just about kiss their national title hopes goodbye. Neither team is likely going to win it without those 2 guys running their team because they don't have replacements who are good enough to have a major impact.

Zagpower
04-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure being drafted in the second round is much better than going undrafted, becoming a Free Agent, and maybe having some control choosing the best situation.

spokane86
04-15-2008, 03:52 PM
It's also the top story on http://www.khq.com

Here's the direct link:
http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=8171553

BMAN
04-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Pargo declares for 2008 NBA draft

Posted: April 15, 2008 03:12 PM PDT

SPOKANE, Wash. - KHQ has learned that Gonzaga point guard Jeremy Pargo will test the NBA waters. Pargo plans to make himself eligible for June's NBA draft, but will not hire an agent, meaning he has until June 16th to decide if wants to return to Gonzaga for his senior season.

Pargo is the reigning WCC player of the year. averaging almost 12 points and just over six assists a game his junior year. Pargo will take part in NBA pre-draft camps and make a decision from there to officially enter the NBA draft.

kclubfounder
04-15-2008, 03:59 PM
When you are heading into your senior year and you have the opportunity to participate in these camps then you take it. Why wouldn't you? So, the fact that he is participating is hardly worth mentioning. Wake me up if there is rumor of an agent or something more concrete than the simple fact that he is going to see how he stands with the scouts heading into his senior year.

wazZag
04-15-2008, 04:17 PM
---

kclubfounder
04-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Uh huh. So is every other eligible Junior that gets invited. It is a great opportunity to find out where you stand with the scouts and what you need to work on in your senior year. If there is no rumor of an agent then it is really a non-story.

zagster318
04-15-2008, 04:18 PM
2008--

DJ Augustin
D Rose
OJ Mayo
D Collison
J Bayless

Hope you're right, and that we don't see something along the lines of Aaron Afflalo. I would hate seeing Jeremy buried on an NBA bench next year.

krozman
04-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Many people on this board would pay to see the very camps Pargo is going to play in for free. He gets to perform against talent and experience both, and then come back to graduate. AND I GUESS if the top 10 prospects all break their legs or something, theres a snowballs chance of him declaring. Grats to him for earning the ability to do this.

Pleasant Peninsula
04-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Imagine how the guts of Texas and North Carolina fans are turning. If Augustin or Lawson bolt, they can just about kiss their national title hopes goodbye. Neither team is likely going to win it without those 2 guys running their team because they don't have replacements who are good enough to have a major impact.

I dunno about that CDC, Carolina will have Bobby Frasor, who was very highly regarded coming out of high school and started as a freshman with Larry Drew Jr backing him up. Assuming Hansbrough returns (no certainty, granted), I think Carolina will be right up at the top again next year.

VinnyZag
04-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Pargo declares for 2008 NBA draft

Posted: April 15, 2008 03:12 PM PDT

SPOKANE, Wash. - KHQ has learned

From the press release on GU's Web site ...

ZagNative
04-15-2008, 06:15 PM
From Jim Meehan (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7631):
“After discussing my options with my coaches and my family, I have decided to declare for the NBA draft, but will not hire an agent. This is a great opportunity for me to play against future NBA players in front of NBA executives,” Pargo said in a statement released by Gonzaga. “Going through the early entry process will be a great learning experience. I am looking forward to Orlando and the pre-draft workouts and then I will make the decision whether to return to Gonzaga and earn my degree or stay in the draft.”
“Jeremy has given his all to this program, and our coaching staff, players and basketball family are all in support him exploring his options with the draft. I have full confidence in Jeremy that he will make an educated and thoughtful decision after going through the process,” head coach Mark Few said.More here (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7631).

MedZag
04-15-2008, 06:20 PM
From Jim Meehan (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7631):More here (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7631).

I've already made my thoughts on Pargo's draft situation known in previous threads, but I think there's a couple nuggets to be gleaned from this post:

Pargo said in a statement released by Gonzaga. “Going through the early entry process will be a great learning experience. I am looking forward to Orlando and the pre-draft workouts and then I will make the decision whether to return to Gonzaga and earn my degree or stay in the draft.”

Note he didn't say "another year" or "for my senior season."

“Jeremy has given his all to this program, and our coaching staff, players and basketball family are all in support him exploring his options with the draft. I have full confidence in Jeremy that he will make an educated and thoughtful decision after going through the process,” head coach Mark Few said.

There's no way Pargo's staying unless he is hearing very good things from league execs.

My gut feeling is that this is, just as P said, a learning process and an opportunity to get a very frank and open evaluation from league higher ups.

LongIslandZagFan
04-15-2008, 06:59 PM
I said it a few weeks ago, he'd do nothing more than gain valuable insight by taking advantage of this free pass. Plus, for him, if he blows up and has a great camp he has a very slight chance at squeezing into the first round.

23dpg
04-15-2008, 07:01 PM
The is ZERO reason for Jeremy not to do this. As someone posted on another thread, his brother can help with the travel costs, he loses nothing and it doesn't hurt his standing in college ball or with the pros.

Good luck Pargo!

thespywhozaggedme
04-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Alright, I'll stir the p* o* t* a lil. I think we could potentially be better w/o JP. Bouldin has the ability to be a very good pg. He's better than JP as a distributor, passer and court visionary but not as good of a ball handler and gets rattled easier under pressure against the "big boys". No more will we see JP pound the ball into the court for 20 seconds looking off JH no less than 2 times and either shoot an off balance jumper or try and take it to the hole.

PG: Bouldin, Goodsen
SG: Gray, Gibbs
SF: Downs, Brown
PF: Daye, ?
C: Heytvelt, Sacre

That is still in my mind a very, very good lineup. I'm intrigued to see MB at the point full time actually. Provided he works diligently on the weaknesses that I pointed out over the summer.

zzzjag
04-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Has this situation ever worked to help improve a players 'draft stock'?

I am trying to think of any player who ever 'tested the waters' returned for another year and then saw their stock go up....can't think of any.

Its almost like if you don't impress the first year of testing the camps, you are labled or NBA execs make up their mind. I remember Roby from Colorado declared w/out an agent and returned. He has had a stellar college career but I don't hear his name as a sure fire 1st rounder.

If anyone knows a situation that has worked, let me know. As a Zag fan, I hope he returns but for Jeremy (and ultimately the Zags program) I hope he works his way into the first round.

I know I will be routing for him!

jigga5
04-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Alright, I'll stir the ### a lil. I think we could potentially be better w/o JP. Bouldin has the ability to be a very good pg. He's better than JP as a distributor, passer and court visionary but not as good of a ball handler and gets rattled easier under pressure against the "big boys". No more will we see JP pound the ball into the court for 20 seconds looking off JH no less than 2 times and either shoot an off balance jumper or try and take it to the hole.

That is still in my mind a very, very good lineup. I'm intrigued to see MB at the point full time actually. Provided he works diligently on the weaknesses that I pointed out over the summer.

I think I speak for the majority when I say, you might have mental issues. I won't even bother arguing about how wrong that post is .

zzzjag
04-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Spy, although I understand the Zags could keep the machine moving very well, I tend to think that Jeremy returning is overall a better situation for the team then him not returning.

I want whats best for JP but sure would like to have the reigning WCC POY in the lineup.

thespywhozaggedme
04-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Jigga,
1st, you only speak for yourself. Secondly, this is a message board in which opinions are expressed. You disagree with me, that's cool. However if you only bring personal attacks and insults you marginalize yourself.

Hextall7388
04-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Spy....I sure hope we don't have to find out if Bouldin can be this team's PG get year. I like Bouldin, but it's a scary thought for me. He's too slow and does not have the athleticism to match up against B. Johnson or Patty Mills in conference play, not to mention the top PG's the Zags will face this year in their extremely difficult non-conference schedule.

As for Pargo....I think it's a good decision for him. Really, there is absolutely no harm in him taking this step. It's a chance to play against top talent and receive some feedback from NBA executives. The only downside to him declaring as he has is that it's giving those in Zag Nation heart palpitations.

MedZag
04-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Remember all, if at any point this off season you are browsing this forum and experience shortness of breath, a heaviness in your chest, light headedness, dizziness, blackouts, or pain in any of the following red areas:
http://www.finaljudgement.net/MI.jpg
Report to your local emergency room immediately, or I will neg rep you! The earlier we treat a heart attack, the better off you are.

MDABE80
04-15-2008, 11:05 PM
No matter how Jeremy did the first several months of the season, it's good to note that"
1- he shot 67% on free throws the whole season BUT he shot 84% in the month of March. Big improvement.
2- His 3 pt shooting was only 27% on 22/78 for the year. BUT if the 3 pt shooting is taken out, Jeremy shot 58.4% from everywhere else.
3- He's got NBA athleticism even though he a bit shorter than some pG's if he's to be a PG. I think it's his better position.
4- Assist were better this year as he has 6/gm.
5- Just when his to's got better, he tanked the last month.

He needs school for another year to work out certain defects in his game. Great for him to be told that by outsiders. Kids DO dream but sometimes they need to be brought back to earth. He's one of em. He's got everything to gain and not much to lose. Being an Hon Mention AA, he'll have a great audience next year. Moreso than if he landed on a bench or in the NBA-D league.

WIth all those snazzy point guards coming out, JP would be way far back. Kid just needs more skills. He might think he can play in the NBA but he'll be needing to prove it to the people that count.

TrueLiz
04-16-2008, 12:23 AM
While I didn't like receiving that ESPN text alert about Pargo, I eventually calmed down, and remembered that Gophers Spencer Tollackson & Dan Coleman declared for the draft a year ago after after their junior years..."Who?" you might ask? Exactly.

Declaring without an agent is a smart decision with the leeway the NCAA is giving about the pre-draft camp and workouts now. It's a great way to find out what the teams still want you to work on, so you can be in better position the next year. I'm guessing Jeremy doesn't want to be a 2nd round pick or undrafted, when he knows the Zags have a great team coming back, and that he'd have a much better shot at a first round pick next year, especially if that oft-mentioned jump shot gets up to the mid-40% range in accuracy.

But if he does leave, I'll be sad. I don't deal well with loss when I don't expect it. ;)

ZagSnoop
04-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Alright, I'll stir the p* o* t* a lil. I think we could potentially be better w/o JP. Bouldin has the ability to be a very good pg. He's better than JP as a distributor, passer and court visionary but not as good of a ball handler and gets rattled easier under pressure against the "big boys". No more will we see JP pound the ball into the court for 20 seconds looking off JH no less than 2 times and either shoot an off balance jumper or try and take it to the hole.

You aren't as far off as some people seem to think, although I think that you might see Matt and Steven share the ballhandling duties. As much as people complain about Matty's lack of speed and athleticism, he is a much better athlete than Blake was and he is still learning and growing. For those who think that Pargo is a 'must-keep', ask yourself this: Are the Zag teams under his leadership (the last two years) better or worse 'teams' than those before? I would have to say worse. For as much athleticism and energy as he brings, the results on the court don't indicate that he is a good fit. Why have we suddenly had 'chemistry' issues since he took over? Jeremy is all about himself and always has been, from the showboating 'Soulja Boy' routine at the beginning of the season to his decision to declare. He wants the spotlight on himself first and foremost. That is why he refuses to pass to JH in the post; he doesn't want to compete for alpha dog status. For what it is worth, my sources tell me that if he gets any kind of guarantee (even in the second round) he is gone. People can try to make him look like he cares about getting a degree and pleasing his Mom, but all he really wants to do is get to the NBA. I think that the reason the staff was pushing so hard to get either JT or King was that they knew they would have at least one opening. JT wanted a guarantee of playing time and the staff wouldn't give it to him so he chose Texas. Again, he may seem like a nice kid and all but he is looking out for himself. Next year's Zag team will look much different, because we may not be done with the departures and there will be another addition.....

LongIslandZagFan
04-16-2008, 06:22 AM

I am trying to think of any player who ever 'tested the waters' returned for another year and then saw their stock go up....can't think of any.

Its almost like if you don't impress the first year of testing the camps, you are labled or NBA execs make up their mind. I remember Roby from Colorado declared w/out an agent and returned. He has had a stellar college career but I don't hear his name as a sure fire 1st rounder.

If anyone knows a situation that has worked, let me know. As a Zag fan, I hope he returns but for Jeremy (and ultimately the Zags program) I hope he works his way into the first round.

I know I will be routing for him!

Brandon Roy comes to mind right away.

BMAN
04-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Nate Robinson for the huskies

ZagManFan
04-16-2008, 07:24 AM
If JP does go pro, I see no reason why Meech cannot run the point and leave Matt at the 2 guard. Everything about this kid sounds outstanding. Why is it that there is no mention of Meech being the PG next year if JP turns pro? Do you think a freshman cannot step into that role? I think last year proved they can.

I honestly would be more relaxed with Meech as our PG than Matt. Not that Matt can't perform well there, I just think Meech could be better.

That's all!!

kdaleb
04-16-2008, 08:35 AM

Most of the time these are borderline guys anyhow who are looking for that slight edge. Guys who are confident of where they are going in the draft don't need to test the waters... this is a tool mostly used by guys who might get drafted in the second round at some point and would love the opportunity to work their way into the bottom of the first round.

Vanzagger
04-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Matt needs to play his position. Playing guys out of position was a bust last year.

Yes it is possible that Theo might be here if he wasn't getting stale on the bench. It is also possible that Daye's and Down's minutes are being watched by future recruits.

We got BIGS. play them. Please.

I'm so thankful for all the amazing student athletes our staff has been able to bring in. I wouldn't want to figure out how to get everybody in the game.

Oh, and please bring back the dunk. Spink and Calvary must be nodding off during games.

kdaleb
04-16-2008, 08:37 AM
If JP does go pro, I see no reason why Meech cannot run the point and leave Matt at the 2 guard. Everything about this kid sounds outstanding. Why is it that there is no mention of Meech being the PG next year if JP turns pro? Do you think a freshman cannot step into that role? I think last year proved they can.

I honestly would be more relaxed with Meech as our PG than Matt. Not that Matt can't perform well there, I just think Meech could be better.

That's all!!

The standard line here is that a freshman would have a hard time running Gonzaga's offense because of all the reads required. However, it seems we've been doing less of that recently so maybe the frosh could run the offense.

Having said that, I'd bet money on JP being back next year.

CDC84
04-16-2008, 08:48 AM
I dunno about that CDC, Carolina will have Bobby Frasor, who was very highly regarded coming out of high school and started as a freshman with Larry Drew Jr backing him up. Assuming Hansbrough returns (no certainty, granted), I think Carolina will be right up at the top again next year.

Bobby Frasor is a combo guard whose speciality is shooting the rock. He needs to play off the ball to be the most effective player he can be for Carolina. He has nowhere near the speed and passing ability of Lawson.

As for Larry Drew.....in an ideal world he would redshirt. His inclusion on the McDonald's AA team was an utter joke. His stock dropped to the back end of the top 100 with some recruiting sites.

The larger point here is that Ty Lawson is a lottery pick level point guard and the fastest player from end to end in college basketball. The UNC system is based around transition offense. It's really hard for me to see Frasor or Drew being able lead such an attack at a national championship level.

Also, if Lawson bails, others could follow due to their realization that the national title dream might be over.....

CDC84
04-16-2008, 08:56 AM
http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041508aab.html

April 15, 2008

SPOKANE, Wash. - Gonzaga University junior guard Jeremy Pargo has announced he will make himself to the June NBA Draft, but will not hire an agent to keep the door open to return to the Bulldogs for his senior season.

"After discussing my options with my coaches and my family, I have decided to declare for the NBA draft, but will not hire an agent. This is a great opportunity for me to play against future NBA players in front of NBA executives," Pargo said. "Going through the early entry process will be a great learning experience. I am looking forward to Orlando and the pre-draft workouts and then I will make the decision whether to return to Gonzaga and earn my degree or stay in the draft."

Gonzaga head coach Mark Few said he supports Pargo's decision. "Jeremy has given his all to this program, and our coaching staff, players and basketball family are all in support of him exploring his options with the draft. I have full confidence in Jeremy that he will make an educated and thoughtful decision after going through the process."

Pargo was named the West Coast Conference Player of the Year this past season, the eighth straight season a Bulldog has been so honored. The Chicago native averaged 12.1 ppg overall, but it was the other facets of his game that often times made life rough for the opposition. He paced the conference in assists at 6.0/game overall and 6.50 in WCC action, he was 10th overall in steals with 1.38 and fourth in WCC games at 2.07 and posted a 1.84 assist/turnover ratio in all games and 2.28 in WCC contests.

If he were drafted this year Pargo would become the third player in Gonzaga history to leave early for the NBA Draft. Juniors Paul Rogers (second round, 54th overall pick by the Los Angeles Lakers) left in 1997 and Adam Morrison (first round, third overall pick by the Charlotte Bobcats) left in 2006.

Pargo can pull his name out of the draft up to 10 days prior to the draft and still retain his collegiate eligibility. This year's draft is slated for June 26.

cjm720
04-16-2008, 09:51 AM

That's all!!

I could easily see Meech start next year if Pargo decides to leave.

Our Zags would lose a lot leadership if he were to go. I think Pargo will be one of the better players at the pre-draft camp and, fortunately for us, will decide to return.

JohnOGU
04-16-2008, 12:51 PM
look, bottom line is if jeremy wants to make a lot of money, he'll be back. this class is simply too deep at that position. he's not leaving.

BongKrosby
04-16-2008, 07:21 PM
I love Pargo and think he may have an NBA career someday, but not until he improves his defense. He got used by the guys from SCU, SMC, USD, and most recently Davidson (the key to that game was his 14 1st half points, not Currry's late game shots that should have never come into play, but that is a story for another day). This will get exposed by the other PG's at the camp.

The good news is he gets some constructive criticism that he will take seriously (which I think he will) and he works on being a shut-down back court guy next year and we don't have to play Gray or LG on the other teams best guard.

ZagNut08
04-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I just stopped by hoopshype.com to get some bball news and pargo declaring is one of the headlines in the top paragraph. Interesting it is drawing that kind of attention

azzagfan
04-16-2008, 08:13 PM
For all the discussion here, let's be totally honest with ourselves. First, aside from a few posters who have expressed the opposite opinion, Pargo would be a huge loss for this team. There is a reason Few could rarely take him off the court this year. The people I work with here in Big 10 country don't want to play the Zags because of Pargo.

Secondly, to assume Meech will come in and be able to start at PG as a freshman with the way we schedule (front-loaded with the heavy hitters) is probably lofty-sighted considering most of us have never seen the kid lace up the sneakers and play an entire game at the high school level.

I hope JP gets the best out of his one chance to test the waters and returns and that he gets the right advice and feedback to make the best decision for him. Hopefully, his brother can provide some sound advice throughout this process.

MDABE80
04-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Loss of Pargo would hurt next season. He's still developing here at GU. Finally though, he understands the offense. It's those things a PG must have that needs work. AAs far as the college game goes, he's a dandy. Meech lhas tons of talent and he can come to GU and get mintues right away. He has those gifts ( Collison type things) like speed, shooting and he likes distributing. Understanding this offense and his judgement will need some time to develop.

Few's offense is a bit complex. Lots of sets even though only a few are used most of the time. Varies from game to game so the PG must be prepared and know lots.
Jeremy will be back for his senior year and Meech will learn lots. It's the way things go around here. Pargo is a hoss...and a good one. He'll get better. I dunno about you guys but I think his 58% FG success rate (excluding his 3's) is just dazzling. Needs to do a Rotnei both on the line and beyond the arc....figure out how to hang onto the ball.

CDC84
04-17-2008, 08:32 AM
nbadraft.net and draftexpress.com clearly express in their evaluations that they expect him to come back.

What he may be trying to do is show off some of his one on one skills and just how physically powerful and athletic he is in comparison to other guards that will be participating. It might give him a leg up with the scouts going into his senior season.

pbriz
04-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I agree with alot of the views already expressed about Goodson so far in this thread.

My 2 cents:

The point guard position is arguably the most important position-they dictate tempo, handle the ball, get people the ball, etc while also having to know every play with perfection. It is very difficult to learn, let alone in Few's system.

This being said, I feel like Goodson is the type of player that really could step in if Pargo leaves. He is hard-nosed, can handle the ball, and is lightning quick, which would allow JH, Daye, Micah, Sacre to all get outlets and get easy points in transition. All of our big men can run-they just need the ball to get to them sooner in transition. UNC is the best example where Lawson could get the ball to Hansbrough on fast breaks almost at will. Furthermore, UNC ran a triangle fast-break where Ellington and Green would float out to the wings and be prepared to shoot the 3 if the ball didn't go to Hansbrough on the fast break. We could set that up perfectly with Downs, Gray, Austin, or Gibbs setting up on 3 point line.

I hope I am wrong but I think JP will go pro this year. He plays up to competition and lit it up at point guard camp last summer-actually being considered the best point guard at the camp. He will have a great showing and I see him as a late first round pick, actually ahead of Ronald Steele and Robert Vaden. Rose, Mayo, Gordon, Bayless are firmly ahead of him at this point but I wouldn't be surprised to see him sneak into the late first round.

I hope its not true but if an NBA team says they will take him in the late first round he is gone for sure. And if that's the case, I feel confident in Goodson.

sonuvazag
04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Matt would roll to the point were Pargo to leave and Steven would stay at the two, Micah would anchor the three, Daye at four, and Heytvelt at five.

The team does not improve if Pargo leaves, but all hope will not be lost.

Meech may be a very promising prospect, but I don't see him starting over Bouldin or Gray.

jim77
04-18-2008, 01:17 AM
I wish JP well at the camps BUT, theres some UNFINISHED business at GU. I think JP could average double digit assists next year....which would make him a top pick next year $$$$$$$.

cbbfanatic
04-18-2008, 04:29 AM
I wish JP well at the camps BUT, theres some UNFINISHED business at GU. I think JP could average double digit assists next year....which would make him a top pick next year $$$$$$$.

double digit assists is a serious number... and will often lead the country. with the team gonzaga has coming back, guys like downs, daye, gray, etc would have to make a TON of jumpshots to get pargo to 10 apg, because there is no big, efficient scorer down low like batista... that guy was a PG's dream when it comes to racking up assists

sonuvazag
04-18-2008, 06:32 AM
The "O" will work like magic when, after driving the lane, Pargo can kick it out, dump it down, or stop and pop. Pargo will be indefensible with a three-option read.

There's no guarantees, but I think Heytvelt will be a more efficient finisher next year even if the only improvement he makes is in his footing and balance.

MickMick
04-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Matt would roll to the point were Pargo to leave and Steven would stay at the two, Micah would anchor the three, Daye at four, and Heytvelt at five.

The team does not improve if Pargo leaves, but all hope will not be lost.

Meech may be a very promising prospect, but I don't see him starting over Bouldin or Gray.

Matt doesn't have the handles for point. I think you would see Meech pressed into action a bit ahead of schedule. Otherwise teams would trap the Zags into a turnover fest.

sonuvazag
04-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Matt doesn't have the handles for point. I think you would see Meech pressed into action a bit ahead of schedule. Otherwise teams would trap the Zags into a turnover fest.
I agree from what we've seen.

In the way that we suggest JP go shoot all day long to make improvements, Matt could possibly be inclined to do so in the ball-handling category. I don't see dribbling as an innate ability. It comes with practice.

BobZag
04-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Read all the posts, I have not. But return, Pargo most assuredly will. For histeria, there is no reason.

Just A Zag
04-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Read all the posts, I have not. But return, Pargo most assuredly will. For histeria, there is no reason.

did someone just get down watching star wars? haha

BobZag
04-18-2008, 10:45 AM
did someone just get down watching star wars? haha

What you mean, I know not. Normal speech, this is.

cair3
04-18-2008, 10:52 AM
betchya a dolla...

making money in the nba is not about the first contract its about the second contract. the most important thing to getting a good second contact is how you play during your first contract. If a team invests in you as a top 5 pick you get a lot of chances if not, luck is what you need to get a chance, and when you do, you must take advantage.

Look at Ramon Sessions comes up from the D-League hits a game winner drops 20 and 20. He now can negotiate.

Its not how much you get paid your first contract, its if you hit the ground running.

Pargo has the mind and the body- does he have the game?

roxdoc
04-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Don't think he does..............YET.

CDC84
04-18-2008, 11:36 AM
If you stand a much better chance of going in the 1st round in a future draft as opposed to the present draft, it's really financially unwise to go into the present draft. There are no guarantees you will make a team and get a contract if you're a second round pick, much less a 2nd contract. Being a
1st round pick automatically gives you a 3 year, guaranteed contract. That could lead into a better contract down the line, it could lead to another contract with similiar compensation, or it can be a good source of income to start out with if your playing days end and you need to get another job. Needless to say, anyone who is being selected 1-13 (not just the top 5) gets a 3 year deal that sets them up for life if they're wise with their money and don't blow it on hot rods and mansions. You just have so many more options by getting selected in the 1st round that it's worth the wait. In my view, Pargo is far more likely to be a 1st rounder in 2009. Now if he shows well, and some team says they'll take him with their 1st round pick in 2008 if he's still available, this is a different discussion. But as it stands right now, I just can't see that happening.

I think ultimately the first contract is what matters the most. If I were a player with NBA talent, I would be looking at my NBA basketball career as being 3 years and 3 years only. There are no guarantess that you will be in the league after 3 years. Anything can happen. But at least if you get selected in the 1st round, you're bound to get something out of the deal, and something is better than nothing.

cjm720
04-18-2008, 12:09 PM
If you stand a much better chance of going in the 1st round in a future draft as opposed to the present draft, it's really financially unwise to go into the present draft. There are no guarantees you will make a team and get a contract if you're a second round pick, much less a 2nd contract. Being a
1st round pick automatically gives you a 3 year, guaranteed contract. That could lead into a better contract down the line, it could lead to another contract with similiar compensation, or it can be a good source of income to start out with if your playing days end and you need to get another job. Needless to say, anyone who is being selected 1-13 (not just the top 5) gets a 3 year deal that sets them up for life if they're wise with their money and don't blow it on hot rods and mansions. You just have so many more options by getting selected in the 1st round that it's worth the wait. In my view, Pargo is far more likely to be a 1st rounder in 2009. Now if he shows well, and some team says they'll take him with their 1st round pick in 2008 if he's still available, this is a different discussion. But as it stands right now, I just can't see that happening.

I think ultimately the first contract is what matters the most. If I were a player with NBA talent, I would be looking at my NBA basketball career as being 3 years and 3 years only. There are no guarantess that you will be in the league after 3 years. Anything can happen. But at least if you get selected in the 1st round, you're bound to get something out of the deal, and something is better than nothing.

CDC is right, just ask Dickau.

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Look at Ramon Sessions comes up from the D-League hits a game winner drops 20 and 20. He now can negotiate.

Ask Omar Cook, of St. John's fame who left too early, how D-League has helped him secure a huge NBA contract... Oh, wait, he is playing in Serbia. My point is not to knock the Euro leagues but rather point out that if you leave early you run the risk of ending up NOT being in the NBA and NOT having a degree which will certainly NOT help you secure a huge second contract.

deathchina
04-18-2008, 01:37 PM
"Ask Omar Cook, of St. John's fame who left too early, how D-League has helped him secure a huge NBA contract... Oh, wait, he is playing in Serbia. My point is not to knock the Euro leagues but rather point out that if you leave early you run the risk of ending up NOT being in the NBA and NOT having a degree which will certainly NOT help you secure a huge second contract."

But would Omar Cook be in the NBA had he played 4 years in college? Maybe he just isn't good enough. It's not like you stop developing once you leave college...I think in many cases, playing pro ball can accelerate a player's development that would otherwise be stunted by playing college ball.

If you are good enough to play in the NBA, you'll be in the NBA regardless of whether you spend 4 years in college, you spent 2 in college and 2 in the D leagues, or you spent 3 in college and some time overseas. If you're good enough to play you'll get your chance.

Pargo needs to figure out if he's a first rounder this year (unlikely) and if he has a chance to become a first rounder next season (more likely, but definitely not a done deal).

CDC84
04-18-2008, 02:38 PM
I think the key to the whole thing, unless you are one of these guys like Derrick Rose who would be a top 5 pick no matter when he came out, is assessing the strength of a draft and where you fall into it. Is it a weak or a strong draft? Is it point guard heavy? Is it big man heavy? It's all about getting picked as high as you possibly can. Timing is everything in many cases.

I keep going back to the Rodney Stuckey example. I just don't think Rodney would've been picked at 15 in the 2008 draft had he returned to Eastern Washington this season. He probably would've been a back end 1st rounder this go around, no matter what kind of numbers he put up with the Eagles this season. But he recognized that the 2007 draft was lacking at his position, and he had a NBA team, the Pistons, who were willing to give him a guarantee. It was in his best interests - at least from a financial perspective -to bolt when he did. He was always going to play in the NBA.....it was just a question of where he was going to be selected.

zagmantis2001
04-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Its like clockwork. There are a list of underclassen that declare every year and there is always an outcry about those who, in the opinion of the talking heads and the average fan, have no business declaring early.

For every Brandon Armstrong (who did get a first round gig), there is a Matt Walsh. As the draft nears, there will be a number of articles about who should go back and stay. After the draft, there will be the obligatory article about who should have stayed in school and made that bad choice of hiring an agent.

I expect that Pargo will be back unless he has an absolutely great camp. He has great people around him to give him good advice.

Then we can go back to gushing about the depth of the team before someone breaks an ankle or tears up a shoulder.

MickMick
04-18-2008, 02:55 PM
With or without Pargo....Zags will still rub the Don's face in the dirt. That is a good season!

Seriously :)