• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Santa Clara hires GU's Jennifer Mountain

Very sorry to see Jennifer go, but wish her the best as she begins her career as Santa Clara's new WBB coach.

Santa Clara has found a new women's basketball coach, and it went to the best program in the conference to do it.

The Broncos will introduce Jennifer Mountain, who played and coached at Gonzaga, at a news conference scheduled for Wednesday morning at the Leavey Center.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • Oldsport
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Oct 2007

Click!!! The lights just came on for Santa Clara!

Congratulations Jennifer Mountain! We love you and will miss you! Your efforts at GU were wonderful. The best of luck at Santa Clara next season.

On a sad note, the WCC just got tougher for GU next season. If this is true, it's o.k. because we will be better next year. Our team always works through problems and gets better. With an odd twist, Jennifer may help our Lady Zags get to the "sweet sixteen" next year. We'll see!
    The players, coaches come and go, it's the Ladies Basketball program that endures!

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

Congrats to Jen. SCU got a good one.

Still, I wish she had stayed.

But Kelly is staying so Jen had to make a move.
      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• mcdiehard
        Bulldog Fan
        • Feb 2007

Best of luck to the ladies down at Santa Clara. Jen worked us hard as our coach at St. George's-- I'm sure she'll bring the same fire to the job down there. As Bob said, they got a good one.

Comment

• MickMick
          Zag for Life
          • Apr 2007

I wonder if other WCC programs are hoping to replicate the magic in San Diego's hire of Bill Grier? Regardless, Mountain (like Grier) was probably due.
          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Oldsport
            Kennel Club Alum
            • Oct 2007

4/16 Spokesman Review, Mountain Takes Over S C.

Article by Dave Trimmer

Jennifer Mountain - "It will be a challenge to build a program like Kelly and I did at Gonzaga. I want to recruit the same type of players. Hopefully I can pull a couple of recruits away from Kelly."

What are the ethic's here? Was Jen kidding? If she wasn't, then I have a problem with the statement. GU paid Jennifer to recruit for the university. Surely coaches are under contract. The contract must stipulate what will take place when a coach leaves a program. The recruits mentioned could not be the 2009 recruits because of their letter of intent. Are 2010 recruits protected as far as a former coach luring them away? Is there a cutoff date or just any prospective player that Jennifer contacted on behalf of GU? In the business world, a salesmen under a employee contract, cannot contact his old customer base for three to five years after leaving a company to go and work for a competitor.

Am I nuts? What does the community have to say?
            The players, coaches come and go, it's the Ladies Basketball program that endures!

Comment

• USDGUY
              Redshirt
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Oldsport View Post
              Article by Dave Trimmer

Jennifer Mountain - "It will be a challenge to build a program like Kelly and I did at Gonzaga. I want to recruit the same type of players. Hopefully I can pull a couple of recruits away from Kelly."

What are the ethic's here? Was Jen kidding? If she wasn't, then I have a problem with the statement. GU paid Jennifer to recruit for the university. Surely coaches are under contract. The contract must stipulate what will take place when a coach leaves a program. The recruits mentioned could not be the 2009 recruits because of their letter of intent. Are 2010 recruits protected as far as a former coach luring them away? Is there a cutoff date or just any prospective player that Jennifer contacted on behalf of GU? In the business world, a salesmen under a employee contract, cannot contact his old customer base for three to five years after leaving a company to go and work for a competitor.

The business world and college athletics differ greatly. While I understand your feelings, recruits who haven't sigend an LOI or NLI are not bound to honor their verbal commitments. If a player verballed because of Jen, they may want to follow her to SCU instead of GU. I have no idea if that is the case.....but sadly the the way it is I think.....

2009 recruits cannot sign LOI's till this fall in November 2008 for the early signing period so it could very well be 2009 recruits....coaches contracts cannot stipulate what you are asking for.....no one coach would ever sign such an agreement....

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2008

The only companies that would really put out non-competition agreements for sales positions are the ones that are afraid to compete for the customers on a level playing field.

It may be the "way it works" but that doesn't mean it's good for the customers in the end.
                History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• RenoZag
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Sounds like she's saying she hopes to out-recruit Graves, not steal previous commits. . .
                  The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• GoBulldogs
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Dec 2007

While I'm a little worried about a Zag becoming a Bronco, congrats to Jen and I wish her all the best.

Comment

• MJGoGaels
                      Kennel Club Alum
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Oldsport View Post
                      Article by Dave Trimmer

In the business world, a salesmen under a employee contract, cannot contact his old customer base for three to five years after leaving a company to go and work for a competitor.

You see that in many handbooks and separation agreements, but they are legally not enforceable as a general rule.
                      On to Victory!

Comment

• EngineerZag
                        Kennel Club Alum
                        • Feb 2007

Relax, guys. I doubt she would have publicly said that unless she was just kidding and needling him a bit.

Comment

Working...
                        X