PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Down to Two...Rivals Article

NEZAGFAN
04-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Coveted wing prospect Jeff Taylor of Hobbs (N.M.) High School is down to two schools, but he won't be ready to make a final decision by the first day of the spring signing period.

Gonzaga is the latest school to be eliminated by Taylor, 6-foot-7, 198-pounds, leaving Texas and Vanderbilt as the last two schools standing.

"There are a lot of positives about Texas and Vanderbilt," said Taylor. "They have great coaching staffs and two great head coaches. The players on both teams are great. Both schools are strong academically. It's going to be a tough decision. There really isn't anything that separates the schools in my mind."

Taylor might reach the clarity he is seeking after this weekend.

"I'm going to take my time," he said. "I won't be signing on Wednesday. I want to talk with my dad this weekend. I'll probably decide over the weekend."

A relative unknown to many, Taylor missed the summer travel circuit since he was playing with the Swedish junior national team.

TheZagPhish
04-15-2008, 07:03 AM
http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/12/38/22563812.jpg

ZagNative
04-15-2008, 07:06 AM
Link (Subscription) (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?lin=1&script=content.asp&fid=&cid=797523&tid=&mid=&rid=)

cjm720
04-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Bummer...good luck JT

CarolinaZagFan
04-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Dang, what a bad day...Taxes and now this....

ZagNut08
04-15-2008, 07:44 AM
lame

Just A Zag
04-15-2008, 07:44 AM
No bueno. It's too bad. No King or Taylor

Goshzagit
04-15-2008, 07:54 AM
Single tear.

MickMick
04-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Sad news :(

Tmac5360
04-15-2008, 08:22 AM
So with this news, is there anybody else the staff is trying to land for the upcoming season?

CDC84
04-15-2008, 08:46 AM
The vibes the last couple of days regarding Jeff Taylor have not been good.

Unfortunately I am afraid that after landing a terrific 2007 class, it is plainly obvious now that Gonzaga is taking a recruiting hit due to their inability to get out of the 1st round of the NCAA tournament the last couple of seasons. Also, if the Zags didn't have two wings on next year's roster like Micah Downs and Austin Daye, they might have had a better chance at landing Jeff. The logjam at the 3, combined with the lack of NCAA tourney success, did not help in his recruitment.

Whichever team gets Jeff is going to get a terrific player.

It is really important that the Zags do well next March to get the recruiting going again. This program's ability to land top 50 type talent is often directly tied to its ability to succeed in March. When that's not happening, it's harder for the staff to land the top level talent. I realize that this is the case with almost every program, but it is really, really important for Gonzaga.

NEZAGFAN
04-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Sad news :(

Absolutely ruined my day..the worst part is he had all the makings of being a great Zag: under the radar, foreign raised, and great heart and desire...Best of luck JT, it's been fun following his senior season.

BroncoZAG615
04-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Sounds like Vanderbilt may hit the recruiting jackpot in the upcoming few days.

They seem to be on top of the list for Tinsley and now have a 50-50 shot at getting Taylor. I really hope JT goes to Vandy, I think it would be a really good fit for him.

CDC84
04-15-2008, 09:07 AM
I still say it's going to be Texas, but I have been wrong before.

cbbfanatic
04-15-2008, 09:07 AM
i was under the impression from what i read around here for months that GU would certainly be in his top 2, and that he was even leaning in spokane's direction...

what gives?

vandy make a late push? GU never as solid with him as they seemed?

CDC84
04-15-2008, 09:21 AM
It's just what I said....in order for a school like Gonzaga to land kids like Jeff Taylor, who have been offered by such programs as Texas, Kentucky and Arizona, they need to excel in the NCAA tournament. If they win games in March, they can recruit at a high level.

Gonzaga is not a program that has the history and tradition to land top 50 type talent unless they have some measure of tournament success. I think a lot of the positive vibes regarding Jeff and Gonzaga were centered around the possibility that Gonzaga might be able to win a couple of games in March.

Getting eliminated in the 1st round the last couple of years is making it hard for GU to recruit the kind of talent that they would like to get into the program. The only solution: start winning games in March again. Also, winning more high profile games in the non-league sked would also help.

cjm720
04-15-2008, 09:25 AM

Unfortunately I am afraid that after landing a terrific 2007 class, it is plainly obvious now that Gonzaga is taking a recruiting hit due to their inability to get out of the 1st round of the NCAA tournament the last couple of seasons. Also, if the Zags didn't have two wings on next year's roster like Micah Downs and Austin Daye, they might have had a better chance at landing Jeff. The logjam at the 3, combined with the lack of NCAA tourney success, did not help in his recruitment.

It is really important that the Zags do well next March to get the recruiting going again. This program's ability to land top 50 type talent is often directly tied to its ability to succeed in March. When that's not happening, it's harder for the staff to land the top level talent. I realize that this is the case with almost every program, but it is really, really important for Gonzaga.

Spot on...all of GU's basketball success is because of the Big Dance. Even if we made it to the second weekend this year, I have a feeling JT would have leaned towards another program simply for playing time. I'd be shocked if he's not in Austin next Fall.

zag67
04-15-2008, 09:31 AM
I agree with CDC. I think that there was a logjam at the 3 and that did not help in the JT recruiting. He wants to play now. I also think that we have a very good class coming in and as long as 2 of the 3 that are trying for the draft come back, we will be fine and make a good run next year.

Hextall7388
04-15-2008, 09:48 AM
I have to agree with CDC.

I can't help but feel that if this team had a much better tournament this year, perhaps a Sweet 16 or an Elite 8 run, things may have turned out different on the recruiting front.

Does anyone in Zag Nation think that the lack of minutes Daye received this year (justified or not) has, and will play a role in the Zag's ability to recruit "star" recruits in the future? I don't want to start up another debate on whether Daye should have played more minutes this year, we've done that a 100 times on this Board. As devoted fans we have the benefit of following the team closely, watching the games on tv or listenting on the radio or internet. We have had the benefit of being able to draw our own informed conclusions on Daye's play this year. However, as an outsider looking at the numbers you see:

1) 5 Star Recruit ranked 25th in the country
2) Signs with a WCC Team
3) 3rd on the team in scoring
4) 2nd on the team in rebounding
5) 1st on the team in blocked shots
6) Does not start and averages 18 minutes a game.

On paper, points 1-5 don't fit with point 6.

It's only an assumption, but most top recruits interested in the Zags follow the team like we do. For them, #6 must be confusing.

Lets face it, through basketball these "top 25" kids have achieved rockstar status in their schools and communities. It's only natural that they want to sign with a program where they can play, receive media attention and have a shot at a national championship during the 1-2 years that they are going to play college ball before turning pro. Few's approach to playing Daye this year may have been very smart. Perhaps it was best for the team this year and in the future, and perhaps it was best for Daye long term. I'm just afraid that today's star student athletes do not always think long term.

Spokanicoug
04-15-2008, 09:59 AM
You better believe the rival coaches are bringing up the lack of tourny success in the recruiting visits.

For many of these kids, its all about exposure.

cbbfanatic
04-15-2008, 09:59 AM
hextall - i agree with your post. i think 5 star type kids that seriously consider gonzaga will view daye (and his fr yr especially) as a template since he is really a pioneer in this role. i think the biggest thing besides how many minutes he did (or didnt) get, will be who WAS getting the minutes. if he was playing behind another star, it would be possibly a little more comforting than seeing a situation where the talented kid is sitting on the bench behind less talented, on paper, players.

i think if daye comes out and has a monster soph yr and gets into the lottery, however, that any frosh yr frustrations kinda go by the wayside. its all about how it finishes.

cbbfanatic
04-15-2008, 10:01 AM
You better believe the rival coaches are bringing up the lack of tourny success in the recruiting visits.

For many of these kids, its all about exposure.

true, but you can get PLENTY of exposure in the reg season without a great tourney run. i would personally hope that kids dont base their decisions primarily on one or two past tournament appearances, but more on the confidence that the current staff and supporting players can get them there in THEIR time on campus...

i dont like the idea that a team needs to get to the sweet 16, elite 8, etc to land a certain player. just seems a little arbitrary considering how long the season really is

BobZag
04-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Jeff was leaning to Gonzaga pre-WCC Tourney and Round 1 ouster. He was even interviewed on TV and said Gonzaga was his favorite. But after spring break something happened. Zags looked horrid vs SCU, then went on to lose their final two games...games they were supposed to win. That's the first time in the Few era that GU has ended a season with two straight losses. It was no coincidence that Taylor changed direction at that time.

Now the staff has its work cut out for it. It'll make for a very interesting spring/summer/fall. But as of right now, as CDC has inferred, Gonzaga is in a bit of a slump. That noise you just heard was a--

Whiff!

"You can't always get what you want."

MickMick
04-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Imagine how bad it would get if the Zags failed to reach the NCAA tournament at all?

But the sky is not falling. SMC and San Diego gave the Zags more than a handful and they did not have top 50 recruiting classes. I'm not sure that a "rivals ranked" class is all that it is cracked up to be. The margin for error is so slim (Davidson vs Kansas) and the pool of talent (especially 6'9" or less) is so much larger than 25 years ago.

I learned this firsthand from watching a high school star this season. Hands down, the best girl high school player I have seen this year. Made first team All-State. But does not get a lick of good press. One would hardly know she exists. But better than any other girl I have seen this year. Much better. Nowhere to be found on Hoopgurlz or Rivals.

There are so many great players that slip through the cracks. I am not worried about Zag recruiting at all. Good players find Gonzaga.

pbriz
04-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Imagine how bad it would get if the Zags failed to reach the NCAA tournament at all?

But the sky is not falling. SMC and San Diego gave the Zags more than a handful and they did not have top 50 recruiting classes. I'm not sure that a "rivals ranked" class is all that it is cracked up to be. The margin for error is so slim (Davidson vs Kansas) and the pool of talent (especially 6'9" or less) is so much larger than 25 years ago.

I learned this firsthand from watching a high school star this season. Hands down, the best girl high school player I have seen this year. Made first team All-State. But does not get a lick of good press. One would hardly know she exists. But better than any other girl I have seen this year. Much better. Nowhere to be found on Hoopgurlz or Rivals.

There are so many great players that slip through the cracks. I am not worried about Zag recruiting at all. Good players find Gonzaga.

Grant Gibbs! Marshall Henderson?

Thomas_Sutpen
04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
It's just what I said....in order for a school like Gonzaga to land kids like Jeff Taylor, who have been offered by such programs as Texas, Kentucky and Arizona, they need to excel in the NCAA tournament. If they win games in March, they can recruit at a high level.

Strange, then, that Vandy is in his top 2, isn't it?

2008: lose to Siena in round 1 of NCAA
2007: NCAA sweet 16, lose to Georgetown
2006: NIT
2005: NIT

I'd hardly see this as better recent success than GU.

Other factors must have been more important in his decision.

CDC84
04-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Jeff could have relatives in Nashville, and Vandy is a very, very good academic school. It's also in the SEC, and he could probably get major PT right away if he went there. But I still feel that Gonzaga's recent lack of tournament success hurt the staff in their sales pitch, and it is also hurting their recruitment of other players as well. It's beyond Jeff Taylor. The one thing the staff can point to when BCS programs attack Gonzaga for being in the WCC is their success in the NCAA tourney and their big name non-league wins during the regular season. When that is not present, it's just a lot harder for GU to land players like Jeff.

Chargers4444Life
04-15-2008, 10:45 AM
They seem to be on top...I think it would be a really good fit for him.

Oh, you mean the broncos defense riding with broncos offense.

everybodycougsit
04-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Taylor, taking into account he played at a small high school in New Mexico and that he came from Europe recently, looked like an underated 3-star player. But it's not like he was a team changer like Carmelo Anthony and at least Taylor didn't go to UCLA, so I'm not really all that bummed.

Good news for Gurganious though, as signing Taylor would of made Larry feel like Shaun Alexander when the seahawks signed two runningbacks this offseason.

I think Gonzaga needs to sign another Center/Power Forward type thats ready to contribute immediately anyway if Gonzaga wants to make a deep run. Maybe that guy from France that went to the same institute as Ronny.

rgladden
04-15-2008, 11:54 AM
slow down a little guys the article is wrong its not 2 its still 3, but Rick Barnes was in Hobbs this weekend.

JohnOGU
04-15-2008, 12:01 PM
What you mean its still 3?

Rubbadub
04-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Taylor, taking into account he played at a small high school in New Mexico and that he came from Europe recently, looked like an underated 3-star player. But it's not like he was a team changer like Carmelo Anthony and at least Taylor didn't go to UCLA, so I'm not really all that bummed.

Good news for Gurganious though, as signing Taylor would of made Larry feel like Shaun Alexander when the seahawks signed two runningbacks this offseason.

I think Gonzaga needs to sign another Center/Power Forward type thats ready to contribute immediately anyway if Gonzaga wants to make a deep run. Maybe that guy from France that went to the same institute as Ronny.

The fact that he's not as good as a current captain of Team USA is not exactly great consolation. ;)

He would have been an excellent addition. I wish him luck whatever his decision is!

Reborn
04-15-2008, 12:06 PM
I doubt that our NCAA tournament losses had anything to do with either King's or Taylor's decision. My guess is that it's playing time, and what their role would be. I think Austin Daye is clearly our #1 scorer and player followed by another strong wing in Matt Bouldin.

I am not upset at all about either loss, and I continue to keep my fingers crossed that we get a very athletic #4. IMO, that's what we really need.

rgladden
04-15-2008, 12:11 PM
read rivals all day if you want its still Gonzaga, Vandy, and Texas. Texas is the top. He wants to know how he can develop in the program and playing time is a factor. And for all you diehards you really should rewatch some of those games on hobbsschools.net. Allen Tate (6'4" g) would fit in the Gonzaga system as good as Jeff will. So dont think that Hobbs is a one hit wonder there is plenty of talent at this small New Mexico school.

JohnOGU
04-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Deangelo Casto? Coulda, woulda shoulda?

Hextall7388
04-15-2008, 12:27 PM
The reason why tournament success is so important for the Zag's recruiting efforts is because we play in the WCC. We may see the talent level in the conference, and appreciate how difficult it is for the Zags each year, but at the end of the day, the WCC ranked 14th in RPI this year. It's all about exposure. Sure, there are a few WCC games aired on ESPN 2, but those games are aired so late that half the country is sleeping. Obviously the BSC Conferences schools have a media and exposure advantage. The Zags may get on prime time national tv once, maybe twice a season during its non conference schedule. That's why March is the great equalizer. Look at what Curry did for himself and his school this year. Before the tournament, ask yourself this:

-Had you heard of Curry?
-If you had, did you think his numbers were inflated because he played in a weak conference?
-Did you know what conference Davidson plays in...could you name 3 other teams from that conference?
-Did you know what State the school is located in?
-Could you name another player that played at Davidson?

I'm sure hardcore fans could answer some of these questions before the tournament, but I bet the % was low. What about now?

-

thespywhozaggedme
04-15-2008, 12:39 PM

:agreed: 100%
I just posted the exact same thing in BZ's other thread, but not as complete. These 1 and dones are killing us.

ZagNative
04-15-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm going to take rgladden's advice (notice where he's posting from) and suspend judgment a few days, notwithstanding Jerry Meyer's piece. With his Dad's assistance, Jeff's going to make the best decision for himself, and if rgladden says Gonzaga's not out of it yet, I'm going to take him at his word and keep fingers crossed.

El Voce
04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
JT should come to Gonzaga just to reward ZagNative for all the hours she spent listening to his high school games.:)

rgladden
04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
the other thing I was wondering how everyone suddenly believes Rivals.com, they are the ones that have him as a 3 star recruit and now since UK and UCLA showed interest they are the ultimate authority on his recruiting situation? Ill bet anyone a few sheckles they havent spoken a word to Jeff.

cjm720
04-15-2008, 02:05 PM
the other thing I was wondering how everyone suddenly believes Rivals.com, they are the ones that have him as a 3 star recruit and now since UK and UCLA showed interest they are the ultimate authority on his recruiting situation? Ill bet anyone a few sheckles they havent spoken a word to Jeff.

It is kind of funny that we don't put much weight towards scout and rivals until there's really good or bad news. I just re-read the article and Taylor is not quoted as saying he dropped GU. He only was quoted as discussing the positives of both Vandy and Texas and that hasn't made up his mind and that he might make a decision by the weekend. He doesn't specifically say that GU's out of the pictures. I wonder what date JT said those quoted remarks? Maybe the rivals author is trying to get ahead of the game a bit? It's not over until it's over....c'mon JT be the big man on GU campus!!!!!

GO ZAGS!!!!

ZagNative
04-15-2008, 02:10 PM
JT should come to Gonzaga just to reward ZagNative for all the hours she spent listening to his high school games.:)El Voce, did you ever listen to any of those games? They were a blast! Not only was it fun to listen to the descriptions of Jeff's heroics, but those two announcers were just world class! They would get so excited! Dang! That was fun. Just what is best about HS basketball!

The tough part is that I not only fell in love with Jeff Taylor - I fell in love with Hobbs basketball. I've watched this video about the Hobbs Holiday basketball tournament (mms://wms.hobbsschools.net/eagletv/holiday%20reunion.wmv) on the high school's website numerous times, and it never fails to touch me - about boys who play basketball and the men they become and the ties that bind the community - mothers, dads, brothers, uncles, and so many others - "Forever Young." There is something so uniquely "American" about it.

BobZag
04-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Rivals' Jerry Meyer did talk with Jeff. Meyer interviewed him. He emailed me and said Jeff has dropped Gonzaga and an article would be up soon. Since Meyer is totally neutral and couldn't care less where Jeff goes, I have no reason to doubt him.

But I respect rgladden too.

Birddog
04-15-2008, 07:19 PM
at this small New Mexico school.

I had to laugh at this both times I saw it. New Mexico is rural, but that that doesn't make Hobbs small, esp re. BB. Eagle Nest is small, and they have to bus to Cimmaron.

antbanks
04-15-2008, 07:27 PM
yea i just read the local paper, and it said the Longhorns head coach and his assistant were in town this past weekend to visit with Jeff.....they said they talked about developing him as a player, and that Jeff was concerned about playing time, but they couldnt guarantee him playing time!!

antbanks
04-15-2008, 07:30 PM
yea i just read the local paper, and it said the Longhorns head coach and his assistant were in town this past weekend to visit with Jeff.....they said they talked about developing him as a player, and that Jeff was concerned about playing time, but they couldnt guarantee him playing time!!
and also it didnt say anything about Jeff dropping Gonzaga from his top three, and i would expect the local news to get first dibs on any new info

ZagNative
04-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks for keeping your ear to the ground for news there in Hobbs, antbanks.

NorthoftheBorder
04-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Right now Texas has only one available scholarship for next year and one verbal commitment for that spot (J'Covan Brown).

It looks likes Jeff Taylor will have to wait for D.J. Augustin to declare for the draft (and hire an agent so he can't come back) before Texas can formally offer a scholarship to him.

Coach Rick Barnes has a commitment from J'Covan Brown, a guard from Port Arthur who is ranked No. 42 in the class of 2008 by Rivals.com. But Brown and his father, Johnny Ray, said Tuesday that J'Covan probably will wait until Monday to make it official, so that he is eligible to compete in an AAU tournament for this weekend.

Barnes has only one available scholarship, the one used by senior guard J.D. Lewis this season. Point guard D.J. Augustin will leave an additional scholarship available if he opts to enter the NBA draft. Augustin said Monday that he will take his time with a decision that does not have to be rendered until April 27.

After that, Barnes would have to hope for, or create, attrition.

Barnes has several options with recruits, though none of the available players has declared UT as his top choice:

Tyreke Evans, a 6-foot-5-inch guard from American Christian Academy near Philadelphia. Evans, ranked No. 6 in the recruiting class of 2008 by Rivals, has visited Texas, but Memphis is the favorite, if media and recruiting Web sites are accurate. Evans is expected to decide today, with his announcement televised by ESPNU and ESPNEWS at 2:20 p.m. Central.

Devin Ebanks a 6-8 wing player from St. Thomas More in Oakdale, Conn., ranked No. 13 by Rivals has a visit to Texas scheduled for April 25. Memphis, West Virginia and Rutgers are the competition for Ebanks.

Wesley Witherspoon a 6-8 wing from Berkmar High in Lilburn, Ga., who is ranked No. 56 by Rivals lists Texas among five schools. The others: Memphis, Virginia, Colorado and Florida. Witherspoon reportedly will decide by May 1.

vufan4life
04-15-2008, 09:17 PM
If playing time and player development is important to JT, I would have to think Vandy is in good shape. Back-to-back SEC Player of the Year awards and a gaping hole at the 3 spot. Having said that, Texas being a better program and closer to home might weigh heavier in his mind.

Still, Texas has limited scholarships and they are in on some big fish, so I wonder if his offer is "conditional" on the Longhorns actually having a spot available?