PDA

View Full Version : ---GUnit of the Game--- (WCC CHAMPS)

gozagswoohoo
03-05-2007, 07:35 PM
A couple things first, BZ and all the doubters and "I don't know if we can handle SCU" guys, hahaha on you, and I hope you can't sleep tonight for doubting your own team. :D

Nevtelen- Your brain IS dumb I guess, huh. :lmao:

Great game ZAGS ! ! ! We have had so many guys playin big lately, what a team effort. Kuso on the glass and swattin mothas, Downs grabbin some boards when he is havin a little off night, Bouldin...wow, so strong! Pendo...is Pendo. Pargo steppin up with the injury (may have seemed quiet, but was a big help tonight)

GUnit- The WCC tourney MVP DRAV! ! !

I know this thread will generate all those "team GUnits" and "team effort" type of answers, but wow, DRAV carried us with those unbelievable jumpers and clutchiness (that a word?) from the line.

TM27
03-05-2007, 07:38 PM
DRAV was the difference between a Win and a loss. Whether it was his shot or the "pick and pop" ;)

Great game Raivio!!!!!!!!!

GonzagaLove
03-05-2007, 07:43 PM
RAVIO. What a stud.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-05-2007, 07:49 PM
woohoo if clutchiness wasnt a word it is now with d-rav's picture next to it in the dictionary

zaguarxj
03-05-2007, 07:50 PM
DRAV. Not only the points, but some terrific D as well.

RenoZag
03-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Santangelo, Dickau, Stepp, Raivio. . ." Guard U " lives on.

bigblahla
03-05-2007, 07:53 PM
D-RAV has exorcised the demons, I mean Broncos.

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagSlug
03-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Raivio closing out his WCC career going for 28, no other choice.

It is the Internet Age, you can add clutchiness to Wikipedia

Clutchness is there....

Profiles in "clutchness"

While a select group of players carry the "clutch" label, the label is often the only thing they have in common. Instead of all clutch players being created equal, then, there seems to be a variety of different profiles that a player can fit, all while still being considered clutch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_(sports)#Profiles_in_.22clutchness.22 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_%28sports%29#Profiles_in_.22clutchness.22)

Nevtelen
03-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Great team effort, but Raivio really stood head and shoulders above the rest out there. I've been worried about his shot lately, but man was he on tonight. He took some tough, tough off-balance shots and just drained them. Basically what he did against SCU @ SCU now that I think of it. And apparently the only Zag that remembers how to hit his free throws.

pdxzagfan
03-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Raivio was the man. Has ice water in his veins when he steps up to that line, just awesome tonight.

UberZagFan
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Can you say DRav?

Unquestionably the GUnit of the Game. Some haters on this board must be really gritting their teeth reading this thread.

What's really too bad is that we only get to watch him for a few more games (2-6 more games--I'm already predicting a first round upset at least).

It seems that we have been exposed to a lot "less" DRav than the previous guards to roll through GU. Maybe that's due to the fact he's really only had his Senior year to shine, while the others had 2+ plus years under the spotlight.

gamagin
03-05-2007, 08:29 PM
<<Unquestionably the GUnit of the Game.>>

D-Rav and Pendo, the two journemen blue collar ditch diggers, got the job done again. The rest gave it their best, pitched in, worked their tails off and fought injuries but never gave up, and together it was good enough.

All advance and work on thir games for the big dance. The advance is thanks to this young man who lived up to the POY and leader and everything else he set as goals for himself and the team.

The rest and hopefully, the best, of this season is yet to come.

--

"To be continued," Fr. tony lehman

brasszag
03-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Key quotes.

DRAV: "This is my legacy... If we don't win this game, I don't think we're in the tournament. I was not going to let that happen on my watch."

"He did what every great senior that we've had at Gonzaga has done ... He played his best game he's ever played, in the biggest moment, when we needed him the most," Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. "That's what it's all about. That's what you want your seniors to do."

"Derek was talking about all the adversity we've been though, all the troubles and the attention we've received -- especially not knowing if we were going to make it to the tournament if we didn't win this game," Pendergraft said. "I mean, we came through this like brothers, especially after what happened a month ago. This is awesome, an amazing feeling."

roxdoc
03-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Thats a great line from Pendo - it warms your heart!

former1dog
03-05-2007, 09:41 PM
But of course, Mr. Clutchiness himself, DEREK RAIVIO!

Congratulations young man!

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/3ea45e75ca.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

TheBeast
03-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Seriously, those quick-release jumpers were full of "clutchiness."
As always, I was also very proud of my man Pendo.
But it was a great way for Drav to go out of WCC play. Congrats!!!

john montana
03-05-2007, 10:07 PM
drav did a great job of curling off the down pick in the flex rather than just popping to the 3 point line. really nice adjustment over the last few games, and it kept the hip pocket defenders from preventing the jumper.

great game drav!

zag944
03-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Those who voted for Denison as a POY should explain themselves. Derek Raivio was awesome tonight. This team has really made me proud.

rawkmandale
03-05-2007, 10:43 PM
former1dog, I saw that DRav pic on ESPN.com and copied it to my photo file, where it will reside with my other Zag pix (mostly of Pendo, my personal favorite). There was a good one of Mark Few also. But I think this particular one captured the heart of a lion, who is Derek Raivio. NOTHING this young man accomplishes (like being the greatest free throw shooter in the history of college basketball) will surprise me.

We should get ready for what could be a Final Four for our boys. If not to be, we all know they will display the utmost class.

Derek has the look of a winner.

kitzbuel
03-06-2007, 08:11 AM
I didn't get to see the whole game, but it appeared to me to be very difficult to pick one player.

In the 7-8 minutes in the middle of the first half I got to watch, I saw the Zags draw 3 charges and D-Rav get two steals (to include the one he took down for a three). That was impressive defense! Getting charges means that they were moving on defense and getting position on SC.

The Zags as a team are getting TOs under control, too. 6 TOs to SC's 12. We had 17 pts off of turn-overs! SC had more TOs than they had pts off of TOs. That is a great turn around right there.

But, you can't sit on the fence, so I have to go with Raivio. 28 pts speak pretty loudly.

GO ZAGS!

HillBillyZag
03-06-2007, 09:09 AM
I have never seen a HATE post directed at any Zag on this Board or the old Board. Some may have issues with playing time, rotations,effort, demeaner, and other items, but second guessing the Coaches and offering opinions does NOT make one any less a lover of Zag Sports. Lighten up, its a game.

kitzbuel
03-06-2007, 09:27 AM
HB, did you post on the wrong thread? http://media.theinsiders.com/Media/Other/229031_confused2.GIF

tobizag
03-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Raivio's defense and all of those tough jumpers splashing the net...hands down.

Great night for our senior leader. Take em all the way Derek!