PDA

View Full Version : USF has a coach...

gwild999
04-14-2008, 12:29 PM
It's Rex Walters of Florida Atlantic, according to the SF Chronicle...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/14/SP3T1057BN.DTL

Interesting Choice, he doesn't get a ringing endorsement from Sutton...

"Rex Walters? I thought perhaps they'd want someone from the West Coast to be able to recruit," said Sutton, who is back in his home in Stillwater, Okla. "I gave them suggestions to help the basketball program - I've been real busy and lost of contact of what has gone on - evidently he made a big impression. I coached against Rex when he was at Kansas playing under Roy Williams. I haven't seen his team play that much. I'm sure he'll do fine."

wazZag
04-14-2008, 01:19 PM
As head coach at FAU, Walters, 38, led the Owls to a 31-33 record in two seasons.

?

There must be something more to his resume...

MickMick
04-14-2008, 01:26 PM
From what I read on the Dons board, Walters is a compromise candidate. Apparently a group was hired for the search and their choice is at odds with the AD's choice.

He really needs a good 3 years of feeling secure in what he is doing. I wonder if the turmoil over there will run him out sooner.

ToreroStudent
04-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Wow...maybe he was the only one willing to take the job? 31-33 isn't exactly something that usually gets you a promotion. Very strange hire. They must know something that we don't.

Section 116
04-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Palm Beach FL link:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/04/14/0414walters.html

USDGUY
04-14-2008, 05:24 PM
What a great hire.........hopefully my sarcasm is coming though. THat's the best they could do? Wow, things must really be bad at USF....they are a LONG way from the glory days.....

ZagNut08
04-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Wow...maybe he was the only one willing to take the job? 31-33 isn't exactly something that usually gets you a promotion. Very strange hire. They must know something that we don't.

I wouldn't consider the usf job much of a promotion. Although, with the way USF has played lately, maybe they would kill for a coach to get them around .500

exiledhusky
04-15-2008, 03:16 AM
?

There must be something more to his resume...

The Red Flag for me is, this guy worked as an assistant to Brad Doherty. Doherty brought the North Carolina program to its knees. Debora Gore-Mann sure didn't win over the boosters with this hire. Not Good for a program trying to resurrect.

Butler Guy
04-15-2008, 08:36 AM
The Red Flag for me is, this guy worked as an assistant to Brad Doherty. Doherty brought the North Carolina program to its knees. Debora Gore-Mann sure didn't win over the boosters with this hire. Not Good for a program trying to resurrect.

Doherty's recruiting class won their last national title.

exiledhusky
04-15-2008, 03:29 PM
First, they were not Doherty's recruits, they were North Carolina recruits. At North Carolina, it's a selection process. Occasionally, it comes down to NC, Duke and one of the other top dogs competing. But, more often than not, a recruits short list means waitng on NC to make an offer and everyone else is a safety net. If a player is lucky, he gets the offer, if not, he ends up at a major player in the BE/ACC/SEC.

Players and boosters revolted and that coupled with the pathetic showing on the court led to his dismissal. Even his tenure at ND was marked with chilly relations with the faithful.

Not to say that Walters is anything like that, but I'm of the opinion, birds of a feather flock together.

The Oregon Spike
04-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Didn't Rex Walters play at Kentucky and then the Hornets? Kind of a dead-eye sharpshooter? Wasn't his father a long time coach somewhere?

If all that is true, and given his age, I think it is a good hire.

alaskazagnut
04-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Walters now will be coaching in the West Coast Conference, which has gained prestige because of the strong play in recent years of Gonzaga.

The Zags rule the WCC. No offense to USD and SMC, but we still do.

krozman
04-15-2008, 05:27 PM
The Zags rule the WCC. No offense to USD and SMC, but we still do.

Even knowing that is a true statement, I wouldn't mind losing the WCC every third time if the entire conference RPI was in the top 6, and we had 3 top 25 teams flirting at the top. Mark Few has to pull some pretty incredible stuff to get Gonzaga their guaranteed spot every year, so giving him a little more leeway and inter conference competition would benefit Gonzaga.