PDA

View Full Version : Championship Play of the game: You Make the Call

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
As with most closely contested championship level games, there were lots of BIG plays made at key moments throughout the game tonight. Which was your championship play?

Me, I go with Kuso's block of an SCU gimme shot underneath (after having just had his own shot blocked on the other end) followed by a three-pointer for the Zags (can't remember who..Pendo?) which meant Kuso's block keyed a 5 point turn around late in the second half.

jazzdelmar
03-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Pendo's late rebound.....DR's swipe and drive in 1st half....

gozagswoohoo
03-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't know if you can call it the play of the game, but that was a perfectly executed fast break halfcourt to Pendo, Pendo to Bouldin, Bouldin with the "almost yammo" basket.

mtzaga
03-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Bouldin's miss, offensive rebound, another miss, another offensive rebound, and in for two. SCU was coming on at the time. We needed some separation.

gueastcoast
03-05-2007, 08:37 PM
So many to choose from but I vote the Bouldin play mtzaga noted where he stayed with it, closely followed by the DR pick and bomb to Pargo for the jam.

fedwayzag
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
I gotta go with Pendo's pick and pop 3 pointer at the 4:39 mark. We were a little stagnant in the offense at the time. Helped to make it a nine point lead

madness
03-05-2007, 08:40 PM
SCU up by 9 in the 1st half...Drav calmy drives to the elbow and nails a jumper...GU never looked back

TM27
03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
"That is how you run the fast break"

For me it was the fast break, with Rav to Pargo far side, and Pargo's touch pass to Bouldin for the layup.

A close second was Bouldins drop step post move....so pretty!

zaguarxj
03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
I gotta go with Pendo's pick and pop 3 pointer at the 4:39 mark. We were a little stagnant in the offense at the time. Helped to make it a nine point lead

If you go by the dB meter, that would be the play of the game for me. I think the dog was very concerned about all my whooping and hollering (she's sensitive, you know).

Birddog
03-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Kuso's block, it stopped a potential momentum swing. The others mentioned were all noteworthy however, tough call.

Birddog

McZag
Pendo's Three for sure. One of the biggest shots of his career. Huge confidence builder. We will love having that point production in the next game.

ZagAddict
I agree with Pendo's 3 pointer with 4:39 left... Kuso did start that possession with a nice block though. Pendo's 3 pointer killed SCU's last legitimate run at the Zags. After that SCU went into foul mode...

GU69
03-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I liked Derek's steal then 3 near the end of the first half. That was potentially a five-point swing (which was the halftime lead).

john montana
03-05-2007, 11:11 PM
pendo's three...we had lost the momentum heading into the 4 minute stretch. that game us the cushion we needed. huge shot.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-05-2007, 11:16 PM
i agree with gu69 d-rav's three at the end of the half in the face of his defender...huge momentum swing we needed to go into the half with any and all momentum

rawkmandale
03-05-2007, 11:36 PM
I vote for co-plays of the game:

Pendo's 3 near the end of the game, and

Derek's steal and 3 at the end of the half that gave GU the halftime MO.

By the way, you may have noticed that Pendo called DR his best friend in the post by Steve Bergum on the SR website (will be an article tomorrow). Since I saw Pendo and DR at the B Tournament last year, I'm certain that they really are best friends. I really want these guys to do some damage in the NCAA. That would be awesome.

Nevtelen
03-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Not actually the play of the game, but how about the Pargo dunk off the DRav steal and long bomb feed - nice stuff! I can't imagine how much that had to have hurt to jump like that with his contusion, but Pargo is one tough guy. Whew. He didn't bake any cookies or do his taxes in the air this time, but he kept the team running fast and hot and hungry.

jaszag
03-06-2007, 12:08 AM
All are noted plays of the game, but I am compelled to pick the string of plays that enabled us to climb back in after being down nine. Three drawn charges - Downs took the first. Three turnovers, three possessions with no points, three fouls against SCU.... and three opportunities for the crowd to raise the roof. After the third drawn charge, the decible level topped out.

Defense wins championships!

bigblahla
03-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Bouldin's not once, not twice, not three, but four times and he scores. Wow! Followed a close second by Pendo's pick and pop. So many important plays in this game. What a battle, What a team!

Go!! Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
03-06-2007, 06:28 AM
For me, guess I am old school, it was D-Rav to Pargo to Bouldin for layup... right up there with the D-Rav to Pargo to Pendo from the night before.

Methinks they practice that play.

upan8th
03-06-2007, 09:34 AM
After Pendo's late three, Bryant retrieved the ball and shook his big curly haired head as if to say, "ok, if he's going to hit THOSE, we are toast". And they were.;)

SWZag
03-06-2007, 10:53 AM
I loved seeing at the end of the game when Kuso was carrying (whom I believe was) Few's son. His son had his hands in fists and arms out in victory. That was extremely neat to see. This really is a close close team.

I love seeing Kuso get the blocks and he had one that he swatted clear to the Santa Clara bench. That was awesome, as if to say, "Not in my kitchen!"

SWZag

BobZag
03-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Two of the most perfectly executed fastbreaks by GU that I can remember took place in the last two games. It's obvious they work a lot on that.

gonzagulous
03-06-2007, 11:25 AM
How bout Bouldin's BLAZING spin move followed by a stretched out lay in right in front of the floppy haired mammoth.... WOW!!! Maybe not a turning point, but it sure was flippin sweet.

roxdoc
03-06-2007, 01:08 PM
That Bouldin move was SWEET. He is a lot faster than you would think from his stocky frame. But nearly everybody had a highlight real play over the two games!

ZagManFan
03-06-2007, 01:51 PM
By the way, you may have noticed that Pendo called DR his best friend in the post by Steve Bergum on the SR website (will be an article tomorrow). Since I saw Pendo and DR at the B Tournament last year, I'm certain that they really are best friends. I really want these guys to do some damage in the NCAA. That would be awesome.

I even see them together at the poker tables at Lilac. Always see them together.

UberZagFan
03-06-2007, 02:06 PM
For some reason I just can't vote for a play that occurred in the first half. Unless maybe the team garners a 15 plus point advantage in the first half and never gets under 10 in the second. But then again, in those types of games, there are rarely "plays of the game".

My vote is for Pendo's three (but I agree that you have to group that with Kuso's block/rebound). That sequence stopped an offensive rut, turned what could have been a 4 point game into a 9 point lead, instilled doubt in SCU's chances and hastened Davey's decision to start the fouling. Also, I believe that was the last FG in the game aside from Downs dunk with half a minute left.