PDA

View Full Version : From Gator to Zag?

HillBillyZag
04-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Jonathon Mitchell, 6'7", 243, has announced his decision to transfer from the University of Florida. According to their description..he is a versatile small forward who possesses an inside/outside game with the ability to knock down shots from the perimeter, while rebounding well and finishing around the basket. According to them he shoots 40% from the perimeter and has the strength to mix it up inside. If his Academics are in order, it sure sounds like someone we could use. Sounds like a kid who could cause a lot of problems for the opposition?

roxdoc
04-13-2008, 12:21 PM
If he really hustles.....it sounds like a Pendo! Actually we need someone a little taller IMHO.

HillBillyZag
04-13-2008, 12:59 PM
He averaged nearly 20 pts & 9 boards during his Senior High School season. Was New York States Mr. Basketball. Hails from Mt. Vernon New York. Led his High School team to two State Titles and eclipsed Chicago Bulls' Ben Gordons school scoring mark. He is also a natural "lefty" which at times is a big advantage. Looks as if he has the weight and strength to hold his own in the paint.

BobZag
04-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Doubtful a kid from Florida will want to trek across the country to Gonzaga.

HillBillyZag
04-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Hey BZ, one never knows, with ESPN coverage and electronic communication the Country is pretty small. If Few thinks Mitchell could fill a need, I think he would go after him. He's from Mt. Vernon New York, so winter would'nt frighten him. I'm not shilling for Mitchell, but his background would indicate he can play. And we have had success with guys his size in the past. I'm just saying its not outside the realm of possibility.

brian_sun
04-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Base on this article, his main interests seem to be schools in the north east, which is where he's from originally:

http://lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080412/SPORTS06/804120385/0/NEWS02

"Herb Mitchell, Jonathan's uncle, advisor and point man for college coaches to contact, said that as of yesterday afternoon, he had already spoken to Rutgers coach Fred Hill, Seton Hall coach Bobby Gonzalez and UMass coach Travis Ford. He said he was expecting to hear from Rhode Island coach Jim Baron last night and that he had heard other schools, including Xavier, were interested in reaching out as well."

I would agree with BZ, that it's extremely unlikely he would come here.

spudzag
04-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Jonathon Mitchell, 6'7", 243, ......he is a versatile small forward

Pretty beefy small forward. Looks like short power forward. Does he have the speed to play the 3?

spudzag
04-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Rival review of the 2009 PFs revealed a few options; Texans Ray Turner and Augustine Rubit and California banger Chris Cunningham. Who knows, options maybe. :confused:

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-13-2008, 04:57 PM
If either Jeff Taylor or Taylor King end up as a Zag, then I doubt he'll have much interest in GU. But if we don't manage to land either of those two guys, then I could see Mitchell taking an interest in Gonzaga. Regardless of any of that, he seems to be a very talented player that brings a lot to the table!!

Rubbadub
04-14-2008, 10:32 AM
I didn't read the article because: a) I'm lazy, and b) I have a phobia of hyperlinks; but it appears that GU hasn't been even mentioned by this kid at all.

Why all the speculation?

This is one of the attention ##### threads Rub was talking about in the Foo.