PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ripping of Vitale Article.

ZagManFan
04-11-2008, 08:52 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8010194/Vitale-in-the-Hall-of-Fame?-Are-you-kidding-me?

Interesting article of one mans views.

bartruff1
04-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Maybe there should be a hall of fame for annoying self serving broadcasters...with a Howard Cosell Award...well there is some good news, Cosell is dead and Dick and Billy Packer arn't getting any younger...cold..cold

sittingon50
04-11-2008, 09:17 AM
I liked Howard, bart. He had a lot going on between his ears. He stood up for Ali when most didn't.

Zerogame
04-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I never really paid much attention to college basketball until I kept hearing the excitement out of Vitaleís voice when I would turn on an occasional game. He was selling the game to me, and others like me. I thought something important must be happing here for this guy to be so excited. I soon got caught up in the excitement of watching two teams I knew nothing about. For the hard core basketball aficionado Iím sure he does nothing for you, but I wouldnít be a Zag fan today if I hadnít gotten turned on to the game in the first place. I give credit to Dickie for that.

Does he deserve to be in the HOF? He may be a bigger part of the success of March Madness than most people realize. Besides, what normal person would stay up late to watch some team called GONZOGA :) and Saint Maryís? I bet Vitale has turned a lot of people on to the game, hopefully more than he turned off.

TexasZagFan
04-11-2008, 09:57 AM
I liked Howard, bart. He had a lot going on between his ears. He stood up for Ali when most didn't.

Howard Cosell and Dandy Don Meredith are the two responsible for turning Monday Night Football into must see TV. We were always waiting to see when Howard and Don would get into it.

Sidenote: Howard never rehearsed the halftime highlights...it was all extemporaneous. Cosell was truly unique. I never "loved" him, but I sure respected his ability and intelligence.

BroncoZAG615
04-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Bart...

While it appears popular to repeatedly shoot down Vitale for being loud, obnoxious, etc etc, I actually agree that he should be in the Hall.

It's easy to critique Dick Vitale and say that he never did anything really outstanding on the court or impacted the game directly. But if you ask me who has had great impacts on the "institution" of college basketball then Dick Vitale is right up there near some of the great coaches. Besides coaches, announcers and personalities are the people we recognize the most because great college players come and go in four years, many in less than two years. They may have been great players but have the great players impacted college basketball plenty more than Vitale? I would have to say no.

He has popularized a sport which has often been faulted for having a meaningless season. He's been the leading color guy on the television station which has brought college basketball to the forefront of the sporting world. Not only has he been there but he has stood out and pioneered the college basketball movement with his passion. Is he as knowledgable as a Lunardi or Bilas? Heck no. But I would like to think my knowledge is good enough that I love some unbridled enthusiasm.

He's been on video games, magazines, movies, tv shows and has portrayed straight class in college basketball. Not to mention his work with the Jimmy V foundation and the ESPY's. Dick Vitale ABSOLUTELY belongs there. His impact on college basketball has been immeasurable and the amount of fans and passion he has brought in to the sport is matched only by few.

Zagpower
04-11-2008, 10:38 AM
It is called the Hall of Fame and not The Hall of Excellence. Dickie V certainly has the fame part down.;)

Does anyone know if Vince McMahon is in the wrestling Hall of Fame?

Nevtelen
04-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Dickie V. Ugh.

I don't think I agree with the fact that he single-handedly had a lot to do with popularizing c bball. Not to discount anyone's personal stories, but I just don't agree that he was single-handedly responsible for much. It seems to me to be a right-place-right-time thing. I just don't see what benefit Dickie V has given to the game that tons of others haven't. JMO.

Rubbadub
04-11-2008, 12:34 PM
:vomit-smiley-007:

maineblackbear
04-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Howard Cosell versus Dukie V.

Howard: "Either you were a whore for the NFL or you were a pariah."

Dukie V: "Everything is Fantastic and college basketball has no flaws or faults and Coach K eiptomizes everything we should worship."(*)

I cannot imagine Dick Vitale ever saying anything as honestly as Howard, and the idea that he is in the Hall of Fame cheapens the Hall.

I am not sure that the fact that he popularized college basketball (if true-- like, if he died in 1988, college basketball would be nowhere today, right?) is even that great of a contribution. So what? So he can sell stuff. Lets give him the Willy Loman award and move on . . .

sorry to disagree with some, but he is just a shill to me . . . mbb

(*) not a real quote.

thespywhozaggedme
04-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Dan Shulman should've been enshrined for having to sit next to Dukie V. year after year and listen to his self agrandizing false modesty. Vitale is the epitome of a shameless self promoter who was fortunate enough to parlay that into a very lucrative career in the mold of Mel Kuiper. Enough can't be said in the ability to dupe people into believing that you have a unique talent and paying you handsomely for it. Time and time again, I've found myself saying in an escalating voice after each repetition, "shut up, shut up, shut up" after Dukie V goes on one of his seizuresque maniacal nonsensical rants.

It was either 1992, '93, or '94, can't remember which year it was but I was in Madison Square Garden for the preseason NIT (UMass vs UNC) and I was right behind Vitale and prior to him being on the camera, he was a normal mild mannered person. As soon as the red light went on, he became a caricature. It wasn't "getting into character", it was something much more contrived then that, comical and creepy at the same time.

gu03alum
04-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Why would the guy that does the Duke games go into the basketball hall of fame? He should be in coach K's or Duke's hall of fame for publicizing him and the school so much. He is the biggest homer in college basketball.

This is why Duke Sucks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYOgC2Qbqh4)

229SintoZag
04-11-2008, 02:33 PM
The Vitale-Cosell comparisons are unfair.

Say what you want about Howard Cosell, the guy had both a brain and talent for language. Vitale has neither.

I actually like Vitale in a way. It is all an act, but he came by it gradually and in good faith as his star rose at ESPN from 1979 until now.

Cosell was more entertaining in my view. Vitale appeals to the lowest common denominator in the public; Cosell was a bit of the opposite. He would often deploy words even professors had to look up. His staccato, almost syncopated delivery was unique and added to his schtick. Cosell made sports events almost seem to matter more than reality; Vitale seems to make basketball seem like the most superfluous thing on earth (PTPer, Diaper Dandy etc.).

One final thought: has Vitale ever once referred to Bob Knight without calling him "Robert Montgomery Knight."

TexasZagFan
04-11-2008, 02:50 PM
One final thought: has Vitale ever once referred to Bob Knight without calling him "Robert Montgomery Knight."

I really hate it when he says it this way:

"The General", Robert Montgomery Knight

That's worth a triple...

gu03alum
04-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Yes, he is a Duke homer

That's my whole argument and you admitted it to be true. I think you are the ignorant one.

gu03alum
04-11-2008, 03:12 PM
I can't stand the guy. I don't watch games that he does unless it is a really good matchup. I don't know anyone that enjoys him. I don't like that he does hooters commercials. As you said, your kids know who he is. I don't want someone who has influence over children pushing Hooters down there throats.

gu03alum
04-11-2008, 03:21 PM
My kids now who he is, and when he comes on the TV they gather around it because they like the way he is always excited. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't watch much CBB if any.

Thanks teacher. If you want to teach me about grammar, maybe you should work on your spelling. I wish that you wouldn't feel the need to bring yourself down to this level, but you have shown your maturity by calling me ignorant, correcting my grammar, and then calling me a poon.

I don't like Dick Vitale. He does not belong in the Hall of Fame. He did not excel at playing or coaching basketball, and he is not even a good announcer.

NewbyZag
04-11-2008, 04:13 PM
I hear what most of you are saying...he's loud, he's obnoxious, he's a dukie, etc. But the fact remains that he is one of the most identifiable faces in college basketball, if not the most. It's not dickie v's fault that he got into the basketball hall of fame! Moreover, he loves the game of college basketball. Anyone who is a fan of college basketball is ok in my book regardless of their antics. Anyone who has that kind of passion and enthusiasm for the game is someone to be admired, maybe not hall of fame worthy, but admired nonetheless. What people fail to realize is that when he is not drooling over duke he is usually pretty spot on when it comes to other teams, at least i've always thought so.

bartruff1
04-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Is he in those commercials ??

Chargers4444Life
04-13-2008, 07:23 PM
While it appears popular

is the chargers consistently beating the broncos

krozman
04-13-2008, 07:28 PM
For this person, and really only this person, I choose to ignore any contribution he gives to the sport and dish out an epic STFU everytime I see him ruining a game by speaking. I don't value his energy. I don't value his commentary. I'm not going to hate on anyone who disagrees, it's just one of those voices you choose to get under your skin ala......

http://www.kellie.de/fm1/fm_hands.jpg

exiledhusky
04-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Like him or hate him, Mr. Duke, son in law to the ACC, belongs in the hall. He is to ESPN/MTV basketball what Carey was to the Cubs. The face for so many years.

Vital didn't script college baseketball's TV saturation. We fans did that. So long as we were willing to tune in and buy in, he would provide.