PDA

View Full Version : Raivio announced MVP.

meadgrad02
03-05-2007, 07:18 PM
just saw him interviewed on espnews. very, very deserving, you could tell he was not going to lose this game tonight.

GU69
03-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Derek played the entire game tonight: 40 minutes.

And he played like a senior who knows that it's up to him.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-05-2007, 07:20 PM
congrats derek..pendo should get honorable mention or at least on the all-tourney team

gu03alum
03-05-2007, 07:20 PM
He played a great game. He's the heart of this team.

zag69
03-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Congratulations to D-Rav...a great game, a great year, a great career at GU. Here's to another three or four games for the lad before this season is over.

zags422
03-05-2007, 07:22 PM
and not yet over. The best is yet to come. National Champions anyone? They will be on my bracket for the umpteenth straight year. Go DRAV!

UberZagFan
03-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Congrats to DRav!Well deserved and one heck of a game when it matter. After all of those games deferring, this one must be sweet.

ZagAddict
03-05-2007, 07:25 PM
I am happy to see Raivio end his WCC career this way. I have been critical of him in the past, but he has become the unquestionable leader of this Zag team. He is definitely our MVP...

Let Raivio go wild in the NCAA tournament. The Zags are going to be a very difficult match up for higher seeds in the Big Dance.

Good things always happen when we are a 10 seed;)

Congratulations to the Zags and Raivio...

brasszag
03-05-2007, 07:26 PM
It's a good day to be a Zag.

Hopefully SCU will get an NIT bid for Davey.

Valiant opponents.

McZag
03-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Congrats Derek! Incredible game for him! Downs, Mallon, Pendo, Pargo, Bouldin, Kuso. Who didn't play great tonight? They are all MVP's in my book.

sittingon50
03-05-2007, 10:21 PM
John Fritz reported on sports that Raivio was "sick" several times during the timeouts tonight. Flu or nerves? Whatever; gamer!

roxdoc
03-05-2007, 10:29 PM
DR a very deserved MVP. I heard Tom Hudson say that Pendo and Downs were also named to the all-tournament team. This team has saved the best for the last part of the conference season - just keep it up Zags!!!!

GPZagFan
03-06-2007, 01:47 PM
They announced these right after last night's game - Downs and Pendo were part of the tournament team, others, too, but the only one I remember was Derigotis (SD), who did shoot really well during the tournament.

When they called Pendo's name for the all-tournament team, it was excellent! His teammates cheered like crazy, and Pendo was very proud to accept the recognition he most certainly deserved. As the players were going back the locker room, Pendo made it a point to run up in the stands to hug, who I assume, was his mother. It was great. He then proceeded to give us (fans) high-fives on the way out. He was really jacked up. That picture that's floating around (that I'm sure many of us have set as our wallpaper) is the best way to describe his attitude after the game.

I've always loved this guy, but I admire him so much more now. He made a point to talk with us before the game, shake hands, and, above all, smile. I'm so happy he'll be a Zag again next year.

AuntieZag
03-06-2007, 01:55 PM
...well done.

now go eat something, for pete's sake.

BruddahZagJPoe
03-06-2007, 03:17 PM
DRAV,

Very well deserved.
He has come along way and has grown into a fine and consitent D1 guard.

Off to the March...

Go Zags.

RebornZag
03-06-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm so proud of these guys. I really had a feeling that Derek was going to go off last night because he has played so well against Santa Clara this year. He's been struggling a little lately with his shot, and I had hoped that him winning the WCC co player of the year and ALL Regional First Team awards that it would boost his confidence....And boy was he ready....From the "get go" he was nailing his shots. And Few created a special "new" play for him that was freeing him up in the middle for that jumper in the middle at the free throw line. He was just all over the place last night...He backed up everything he said earlier in the year last night, and you "got to" give him credit for that, man!!! And I think something that's been way overlooked about Derek is his defense. He had Rogatis, and he had Danny Boy who was 1-8....And he must have had 3 steals....His steals have been huge this year...Remember the USF game at the end???? It's taken us a long time to find a leader but we have....Derek and Pendo....Co Leaders of the year....

Congrats to Pendo for making the first ALL Tournament Team. Pendo has really stepped it up...BIG TIME....Time after time....His 3 pointer at the 4:30 mark I think was the "dagger in the heart." And his toughness on defense and on the boards was just what we've come to expect from the Gladiator...

Bocco
03-06-2007, 07:43 PM
When the awards were given out and it was announced that D-Rav was the MVP he was being interviewed by ESPN. All the Zag fans began chanting Raivio, Raivio, Raivio.....and kept the chant up as he finished the interview, went and gave his mother a big hug and then finally went to center court where Gilleran was standing with the award, and accepted the award....the entire time everyone kept chaning Raivio, Raivio, Raivio.

ORhound
03-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Our family has become rabid Zag fans since one of our sons went to GU and graduated in 1999. Most of us saw the WCC semis and finals at Chiles as we only live 50 miles from the UP campus. I've been to several UO games at Mac Court but have never heard Mac any louder than the Chiles was when the Zags grabbed SCU by the throat and shook the game from the Broncos with that run after being down 30-21. The crowd was absolutely gonzo and I think that was the reason the SC kid travelled in the middle of that run. It was deafening in the arena. Then when Pendo hit the 3 with about 4 mins left to put Zags up by nine the place went nuts again. The chants of RAIV-I-O absolutely sent chills up my spine. What a great moment for a kid who had sort of a down year last year. He impressed me during the game because he never seemed out of control. One area of concern is that DR was 18-18 at the line in the tourney and the rest of the team was exactly 50% in both games. Gonna need 70% in the NCAA's. We have had a great time being Zag fans these past 8-9 years.

Funny incident as we were leaving after the San Diego game some Zag kids and SD kids were jawing at each other on the way out. Zag kid says "go home and learn to play." SD girl says "at least we get to go back to San Diego and you have to go back to Spokane." Zags can play better bball but got to admit March in SD is nicer than March in Spokane. Go Zags.