PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again! Few in the spotlight

Zerogame
04-10-2008, 10:58 AM
From Andy Katz today.
• Now the big question is how much money is Stanford willing to pay? Will the Cardinal go out and pay well over $1 million to lure Mark Few from Gonzaga?

PilotNut
04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I dont believe that Mark Few is looking to move... and not to UO...

But is Stanford a job he would give a second look to?

I'm just curious of the Zag fans thought on this: Assuming the $/timing was correct, what other coaching jobs would Few seriously consider (besides the 4 programs that were in the Final Four)?

CDC84
04-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Few mentioned in a Spokesman Review Q&A session this year that the NBA intrigues him. I think he might take a swing at that one day, but I doubt it happens anytime soon.

coolhandzag
04-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Few is not coaching at the tree.

rennis
04-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Few mentioned in a Spokesman Review Q&A session this year that the NBA intrigues him. I think he might take a swing at that one day, but I doubt it happens anytime soon.

I think Few would have to take a team to the FF before he'd get any good offers from the NBA.

former1dog
04-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Hard to say what is in the heart of another person for certain, but I'm guessing Few might be a lifer at Gonzaga.

NBA? I don't see it.

VinnyZag
04-10-2008, 12:48 PM
I'll preface this by saying that I don't think Few would take the Stanford job if it was offered. But a Spokesman-Review article from 2004 suggests that it's a job he'd consider.
Steve Bergum wrote then:

Several sources close to Few said the Stanford job is one he would probably consider. But one added it would, “by no means be a slam-dunk (certainty)” that he would take it, should it be offered.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/pf.asp?date=052104&ID=s1521480

CDC84
04-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I think Few would have to take a team to the FF before he'd get any good offers from the NBA.__________________

Not necessarily to be an assistant specializing in offensive strategy. But to be a head coach, probably........

Butler Guy
04-10-2008, 02:01 PM
This is patently false. Being of a different breed, a kind that doesn't like money, Coach Few, nor Tony Bennett, would never leave their current posts. Katz is an idiot, and clearly not a well-informed naturalist. Science is constantly making new discoveries, sports writers need to keep up with the times. This new breed of money-hating coaches west of the Continental Divide is well-known.

Angelo Roncalli
04-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Bay Area salmon fishing is going to hell, as I'm sure Peninsula Dog will attest.

http://www.mercurynews.com/centralcoast/ci_8878201

There may well be no sport fishing for salmon in California rivers for the foreseeable future, something I think Coach Few might consider.

Section 116
04-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Here is what the San Francisco Chronicle has to say on the subject of Johnson's replacement:

Instead, the possible replacements at Stanford include many of the same names discussed for the Cal opening, including Nevada coach Mark Fox, St. Mary's coach Randy Bennett, San Diego coach Bill Grier and Denver Nuggets assistant coach Mike Dunlap.

One other interesting name is that of Drake coach Keno Davis, who is the son of former Stanford coach Tom Davis. Keno Davis was named national coach of the year in his first season as a head coach, and Drake loses most of the talent from this season's team.

Link:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/09/SPO21032ET.DTL

bartruff1
04-10-2008, 03:07 PM
This is patently false. Being of a different breed, a kind that doesn't like money, Coach Few, nor Tony Bennett, would never leave their current posts. Katz is an idiot, and clearly not a well-informed naturalist. Science is constantly making new discoveries, sports writers need to keep up with the times. This new breed of money-hating coaches west of the Continental Divide is well-known. Wierd Science ???

MickMick
04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
This is patently false. Being of a different breed, a kind that doesn't like money, Coach Few, nor Tony Bennett, would never leave their current posts. Katz is an idiot, and clearly not a well-informed naturalist. Science is constantly making new discoveries, sports writers need to keep up with the times. This new breed of money-hating coaches west of the Continental Divide is well-known.

I'm laughing at this Butler guy. Money hating?

I personally could live quite comfortable at 600-800 K a year. I would "hate it" all the way to my favorite fishing hole :)

CDC84
04-10-2008, 04:25 PM
The problem with Keno Davis is that his Dad was fired by Stanford. There could be harsh feelings.

I am surprised that Kerry Keating isn't being mentioned, despite his inexperience as a D-1 head coach........

applezag
04-10-2008, 04:31 PM
My impression of Keating says if Stanford doesn't contact him he'll contact Stanford.

The Oregon Spike
04-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Mark Few is a smart man. I don't believe he would take the Stanford job next year. The Lopez boys are NBA bound, and Gonzaga has a stacked team coming back. If he is thinking of leaving, I would venture to guess that he would wait out this season at G.U. and then test the waters.

Next years team has such a legitimate shot at a deep run..If they dissapoint, maybe it causes him to look around. If they go deep and the money gets huge to leave, maybe he looks around...

Or, maybe he goes fly fishing, then goes home to play with his wife and kids and thinks to himself....you know, my life is perfect.

One thing..I think it takes WAY more than $1 million to be tree-bound. Supposedly (according to crapzano) he was floating the $2 million tag with Cal-Berkeley...why cut it in half for the tree?

VinnyZag
04-10-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm laughing at this Butler guy. Money hating?

I personally could live quite comfortable at 600-800 K a year. I would "hate it" all the way to my favorite fishing hole :)

I live fairly comfortably on my meager (i.e., a very very very small fraction of $600K/year) salary, too. But if somebody offered me twice my current salary to work somewhere else ...

CDC84
04-10-2008, 04:49 PM
My impression of Keating says if Stanford doesn't contact him he'll contact Stanford.

Right....probably in the form of a text message.......

MickMick
04-10-2008, 04:52 PM
I live fairly comfortably on my meager (i.e., a very very very small fraction of $600K/year) salary, too. But if somebody offered me twice my current salary to work somewhere else ...

Which is exactly what happened with Indiana 2 years ago. An Indiana situation that was much, much better than it is now.

zag67
04-10-2008, 05:16 PM
So if you were offered 1.2 mill versus 600K, but the difference is that you have to take your family from a place on acreage with streams versus going to California, I think that the offer needs to be a lot more. Also California has state income tax which will suck up some of it.

Now if they go out and find you a place on acreage that is close enough that you do not have a 1 1/2 drive each way. And give that to you as a starter, then you might have to think, but again I am not sure that would be enough money.

Reasons:
1st - You have a great job and good income.
2nd - You have security
3rd - Close to the family
4th - Lots of room and a great house
5th - FISHING
6th - The college is a great place to recruit players
7th - You have established and continued a great program
8th - The main game in town and people love you and the program

brian_sun
04-10-2008, 07:45 PM
I know the real estate market is in a major down turn. But to buy a house in a nicer part of Palo Alto, that will still cost twice or even 3 times as much as buying a nice house in Spokane. If Few is making about 900K in GU, the Tree better pony up 1.5M+ just to make things equal. And you are going to inherit a team that's much worse than the GU team next year.

I just don't think this is the year that Few jump ship. If Pickens in OSU is trying to lure Self with a 41M/10 year package, when Few makes a deep run next year, say to the Elite 8, if a school like Oregon is looking for a coach, I wouldn't be surprise if Phil Knight offers him 45M/10 year to coach Oregon. As much as Few hates money:) I don't know if he could turn down going from 900K to 4.5M, coaching his old school. I think it's in his best interest to wait for a much better opportunity.

krozman
04-10-2008, 09:14 PM
the NBA is where good coaches go to die. The turnaround and expectations are so unreasonable it's really a different beast. Mark isn't that stupid, sorry. He's got a good thing going.

VinnyZag
04-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Which is exactly what happened with Indiana 2 years ago. An Indiana situation that was much, much better than it is now.

True, but there seems to be an attitude among my fellow GU fans that because he hasn't left yet, he'll never leave. I think we're being naive if we think that the bright lights and big money of some of these other schools holds absolutely no allure for Few.

exiledhusky
04-10-2008, 11:24 PM
From Andy Katz today.
• Now the big question is how much money is Stanford willing to pay? Will the Cardinal go out and pay well over $1 million to lure Mark Few from Gonzaga?

In terms of college basketball acumen, if we mark on a curve, Katz is somewhere between zero and less than zero.

First, if Few wouldn't go to Indiana, an institution with high academic standards, a fertile recruiting base, a high visibilty coaching position, and the ability to pay seven figures, why would he go to Stanford?

Where: Pay is less than desirable, cost of living is outrageous, recruiting is tough, coverage is more regional than national, and the place he is in, pays comparable, has a cost of living 1/3 that of the Bay Area, is easier to recruit to, and has the pieces in place for a serious run next year.

brian_sun
04-10-2008, 11:47 PM
I pretty much agree. It's not a situation that fits Few well. I think Randy Bennett would be a great candidate for that job. Stanford lured Johnson from Nevada 3 years ago, so they have a history of looking at mid-major level successful coaches. Bennett is local, and has done an amazing job in SMC. He could triple his salary at Stanford, even though his SMC team is probably better than the Stanford team he inherits. But long term, I can see he take this job vs. the OSU job, which is the DEADEND job in Pac 10. I think it's a win-win situation for both Randy Bennett and for Stanford.

In terms of college basketball acumen, if we mark on a curve, Katz is somewhere between zero and less than zero.

First, if Few wouldn't go to Indiana, an institution with high academic standards, a fertile recruiting base, a high visibilty coaching position, and the ability to pay seven figures, why would he go to Stanford?

Where: Pay is less than desirable, cost of living is outrageous, recruiting is tough, coverage is more regional than national, and the place he is in, pays comparable, has a cost of living 1/3 that of the Bay Area, is easier to recruit to, and has the pieces in place for a serious run next year.

exiledhusky
04-10-2008, 11:55 PM
I pretty much agree. It's not a situation that fits Few well. I think Randy Bennett would be a great candidate for that job. Stanford lured Johnson from Nevada 3 years ago, so they have a history of looking at mid-major level successful coaches. Bennett is local, and has done an amazing job in SMC. He could triple his salary at Stanford, even though his SMC team is probably better than the Stanford team he inherits. But long term, I can see he take this job vs. the OSU job, which is the DEADEND job in Pac 10. I think it's a win-win situation for both Randy Bennett and for Stanford.

Trent had the Montgomery connection when he was hired at Stanford, both of them bolting at the same time looks to me like something is amiss on the Farm.

I think you're right, a mid-major guy with a proven track record and nothing to lose will step in. If I were betting money on it, I'd back Davis. He has the Stanford paper trail, his name is out there, and he has nothing coming back to Drake to continue his instant success and keep his name alive.

PS: Pay is an issue at Stanford, Johnson was making 750 and a chance of maybe cracking 1mill with the upcoming extension that didn't take place.

TreeLover
04-11-2008, 07:17 AM
The problem with Keno Davis is that his Dad was fired by Stanford. There could be harsh feelings.

I am surprised that Kerry Keating isn't being mentioned, despite his inexperience as a D-1 head coach........

You are totally wrong CDC84. Davis was hired by Iowa from Stanford. He was never fired from Stanford.

Bowlsby, the current athletic director, fired Davis when they were both at Iowa.

Few does not go to Stanford for a couple of different reasons. Stanford never pays the coaches much. A benefactor or group of them would need to step up and pledge the money it would take to get a coach like Few.

Few also would not want to face the restrictions there are when recruiting to Stanford. He would not even be able to waste his time with players like Pargo or Davis. And transfers are brought in more for their academics, not for their playing skills, so no Taylor Kings.

CalZag
04-11-2008, 07:50 AM
then he should think twice about the Stanford job.

I have been around the bay area most of my life (save my time at GU) and if Coach Few relishes that feeling of his team being lifted up by the community, then he needs to stay in Spokane.

Outside of a few alums and fans, Stanford basketball gets no run in the bay area. Just this past March when Stanford was making noise in the tourney, there was an overall sense of apathy. Talk show hosts had to beg people to call in and talk Stanford hoops, yet very few did. This team just lost two first round picks and their coach, and hardly a peep from their fans.....where was the passion from the fanbase?

The bottom line is that the bay area is not a college basketball area. Even though there are teams around, it never really has caught on-- certainly nothing like Spokane.

I'm sure Coach Few loves going around town and seeing a "Go Zags" sign in every other window. Sadly all that would be lost down on the farm.

CDC84
04-11-2008, 07:54 AM
TreeLover = Thanks for the correction. Bad info given to me (or rather I misinterpreted it). I will confess that I do not have great familiarity with the program prior to Montgomery being there.

BTW - who do you think is the guy for the job? You probably have a better read on it than most of us.

Hextall7388
04-11-2008, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure if any of you listened to the Colin Cowherd show this morning on ESPN Radio....he had a very funny, and somewhat interesting take on the "loyalty" issue surrounding Bill Self. Personally, I think Cowherd is more comedian than "sports guy", but he make a good point. It's a point that is equally applicable to Tony Bennett and perhaps Mark Few a couple years ago(to some extent).

I'll paraphrase Cowherd' comments:

What does loyalty mean? A married businessman is on the road for work and staying at a hotel in LA. He decides to go to the hotel lounge for a quick drink before he heads up to his room for the night. A young attractive woman approaches him and invites him to go back to her room for some "fun". He knows his wife would never find out. Cowherd said....true "loyalty" would mean that the guy tells the woman he is married and heads up to your room alone. Cowherd then asks the question: What would you call it if after the invitation to go up the the woman's room the guy pulls out his cell phone and calls his wife, informs her of the offer, and tells her that he will refuse the offer if he can buy the big screen tv he has always wanted, gets to convert the spare room into a man's room and never has to vacuum again.....is that true loyalty to his wife?

In my opinion, that is exactly what Self and Bennett did this year. It was only after they received some assurances from their current employers that "perks" were on the way (increased salary, charter flights, better facilities, bigger recruiting budgets etc.) that they came out publicly to inform the public that they are staying with their schools. I think people who say that these guys are staying because they are loyal to the school and the community are totally blind to the reality of the situation. I don't blame these guy one bit, I'd do the same thing in their shoes, but lets call it for what it is....it's looking after #1, not loyalty.

kyle dixon
04-11-2008, 08:28 AM
I was wondering if Randy Bennett is being considered for the Stanford job? I know his name was floated around for the Cal job, but was not sure if he has just decided to remain at St. Marys? Just curious as I think he should be considered.

TreeLover
04-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Stanford is known for going off and doing unexpected.

In the Bay Area press, WCC names of interest that have been mentioned connected with Stanford are: Few, Bennett, Reveno, Grier, and Holland.

The Oregon Spike
04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Personally, I think Cowherd is more comedian than "sports guy",

You are too generous. Cowherd is an utter imbecile, his opinions are ludicrous, ill-researched, and rarely even remotely funny.

The Oregon Spike
04-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Stanford is known for going off and doing unexpected.

In the Bay Area press, WCC names of interest that have been mentioned connected with Stanford are: Few, Bennett, Reveno, Grier, and Holland.

Few-Ain't happenin'
Reveno? Oh my gosh, the guy has done a TERRIBLE job at U.P.

kdoggy
04-11-2008, 09:27 AM
as much as I despise Stanford, I respect it as an institution. I went riding over that way just a weeks ago. Maybe it was because I had been living through a cold dreary northwest winter, but it is pretty nice down there. Much more pastoral and rural than one might think. I know why they call it "the Farm" now. Ithought it was called that because it was a "Nerd farm"

Big money school and conference with some success, but not ridiciulous expectatations. I dunno, I am usually the first to pour cold water on any school courting Few. I sorta/kinda see a fit.

siliconzag
04-11-2008, 12:41 PM
One of the theories about the Stanford architecture is that a meteor hit in the days of old covering the aboriginal huts that were in place. It hit a big old sewage pond and covred them with, you know...Anyway that is how the frequently quoted saying referring to Stanford came about, "same old place, same old color, same old smell!"

Santa Clara, now that is a lovely campus with nice architecture, and more than Eucalyptus Groves and Aboriginal Huts.

Gonzaga is also a lovely campus. The implication that you made that there is anything of merit about the Farm, or its surroundings (recall, the stench can be sniffed in at least a 40 mile radius, which is why I picked Los Gatos to live in when I was a South Bay boy) is really taking a lot of poetic license there, son.

In short, kdoggy, you disappoint me.

Sili

LoveMyZags
04-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Sili, you are just being silly... I grew up 10 minutes down the road from The Farm, spend a lot of time (and $$) at Stanford Shopping Center and lived in Palo Alto for 1.5 yrs. No stench...

I do not see Mark Few making the move to the Bay area. As stated before and in this (http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10773446/rss) article on CBSSportsline, there is little to no college hoops sports support unless it is football, and even then it is minimal. We are way more into our professional (albeit, pathetic at the moment save the Sharks) sports in this part of the country.

Billion dollar endowment or not, the school did just "Re do" Maples Pavilion. They spent as much doing pretty much nothing to that building as GU did building a brand new arena. (Yet they tear down the old football stadium and build a brand new smaller one...humm) They are way more into being different and selective than giving two hoots about a successful college hoops program. I grew up a fan of Stanford and I still am, but I would be more than shocked to see Few leave Gonzaga for Stanford.

gamagin
04-11-2008, 07:59 PM
they have priorities that make sense. It wouldn't surprise me to read they have profs who make more than basketball coaches. Geez.

bartruff1
04-12-2008, 06:30 AM
they have priorities that make sense. It wouldn't surprise me to read they have profs who make more than basketball coaches. Geez. That is just not right !!! Seriously, I have found the campus and Palo Alto one of the most beautiful areas in America.. All you need to build a fan base is a consistent winner..if you win, they will come..

The Oregon Spike
04-12-2008, 06:44 AM
My brother went to Stanford and it is a beautiful place!

gamagin
04-12-2008, 09:32 AM
There are more Nobel prize winners from Stanford than we have NCAA appearances. Linus Pauling had two, for his life's work in chemistry & for peace. I met him at a lecture at GU.

Dr. Henry Kaplan, who developed what some consider a cure for Hodgkins at Stanford, saved my wife's life many years ago with his pioneering procedures in radiation that continue to extend the lives of millions of people to this day.

The Internet revolution and all it implies was launched by mostly Stanford grads or companies who set up shop in or near the farm to tap into the great minds that gathered there. Hewlitt and Packard, to name a couple. and PARC (Palo Alto Research Center), owned by Xerox, that served as the seedbed for everything from the MacIntosh to the laser printer, just to name a very few e.g's.

You will not find me criticizing that great school, nor its true mission.

I meant it when I said the farm that Leland Stanford donated for that school in the memory of his son, Leland, jr., had it's priorities right.

It does.

The Oregon Spike
04-12-2008, 09:55 AM
I meant it when I said the farm that Leland Stanford donated for that school in the memory of his son, Leland, jr., had it's priorities right.

It does.

True, but do a little research on Leland himself....gangsta.

bartruff1
04-12-2008, 12:45 PM
There are more Nobel prize winners from Stanford than we have NCAA appearances. Linus Pauling had two, for his life's work in chemistry & for peace. I met him at a lecture at GU.

Dr. Henry Kaplan, who developed what some consider a cure for Hodgkins at Stanford, saved my wife's life many years ago with his pioneering procedures in radiation that continue to extend the lives of millions of people to this day.

The Internet revolution and all it implies was launched by mostly Stanford grads or companies who set up shop in or near the farm to tap into the great minds that gathered there. Hewlitt and Packard, to name a couple. and PARC (Palo Alto Research Center), owned by Xerox, that served as the seedbed for everything from the MacIntosh to the laser printer, just to name a very few e.g's.

You will not find me criticizing that great school, nor its true mission.

It does. Tiger Woods went there !!!