PDA

View Full Version : OT: Trent to LSU

UberZagFan
04-09-2008, 09:59 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8005458/Sources:-Johnson-leaving-Stanford-for-LSU

With Montgomery at CAL and a new coach at Stanford, GU may have some opportunity to get a home and home with one of these PAC-10 schools in the near future.

mnzag24
04-09-2008, 10:10 AM
just got done lookin at the stanford board's, some discussion about a D-2 coach at Winona State. Has won 2 of the last 3 D2 titles, and the only one he lost was on a buzzer beater.

Should be fun to follow, crazy few weeks in bball.

BobZag
04-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Stanford will really be down. I guess it was time to abandon ship.

CDC84
04-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Maybe Stew Morrill at Utah State....

TexasZagFan
04-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Maybe Stew Morrill at Utah State....

If anybody has proven themselves as a quality, yet unknown head coach, it's Stew.

He's probably going to wait for Few to take that mega contract from an unnamed-as-yet BCS school next year. Mark's waiting for the aftermath of the Bill Self to OSU mega-deal to settle the "market" for elite coaches. With a deep run into the Dance next year, 5-10 schools will be lining up to lure Mark away from Zagland with a 7-8 year, $25 million deal...and it will be called a "bargain".

Then Stew can come back to his alma mater!

I should've taken a pass on that last schooner of Shiner Bock last night! :lmao:

MedZag
04-09-2008, 10:35 AM
And the carousal spins on...

Zag 77
04-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Besides having a perpetual scowl, is it not true that Johnson won't schedule us anymore, especially since we beat him up here last year on ESPN Game Day?

UberZagFan
04-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Besides having a perpetual scowl, is it not true that Johnson won't schedule us anymore, especially since we beat him up here last year on ESPN Game Day?

CDC probably has more thoughts on this but Uber's take was that Trent was starting to follow the Ben Howland school of thought in scheduling for the OOC, i.e., no "mid-majors" at their place where you might get beat and kill yours and the conferences RPI.

dpouley
04-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Has Montgomery signed his contract at Cal?

It would be interesting to see if he has the ability to back out of that deal and head across the bay. It seems that Monty may have returned to the Pac10 a week too early.

theothegreat21
04-09-2008, 10:42 AM
CDC probably has more thoughts on this but Uber's take was that Trent was starting to follow the Ben Howland school of thought in scheduling for the OOC, i.e., no "mid-majors" at their place where you might get beat and kill yours and the conferences RPI.

Actually Stanford just signed a home and home series with Butler, so I dont think thats the problem.

This is a huge loss for Stanford, but there had been some rumors circulating in the Bay Area that Johnson was no the guy for the new AD. Id be very surprised if the person hired isnt a Stanford guy, as Johnson was before. If he had some success at Portland would have been a possibility. If they were going to go out of the Stanford family, I wouldnt mind seeing the Cornell coach, as he understands recruiting the student-athlete, and was able to break the Penn and Princeton lock on the Ivy league

CDC84
04-09-2008, 10:49 AM
If Few ever decided to leave, I am pretty certain you will see a current Gonzaga assistant take over. Plus, Stew Morrill is starting to get up there in years.

I have been told that Self will stay at Kansas even if they don’t offer him as much money as the oil man at Ok St. There isn’t going to be a bidding war. He just wants to be better compensated than he is right now. His market value as the head coach at a factory school is much higher than what he is currently getting paid. KU’s AD is one of the best in the biz….he’s going to bump up Self significantly.

A lot of these coaches - and this would even include Few - use the big money that's being offered by another school to better their own lot where they are presently employed, even if they have no real intention of leaving their current school for the bigger money. It's a common business tactic. I doubt you will ever see Few come right out and say, "I'm never coming to Oregon if the job is ever open."

ZagAddict
04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Help me understand by Trent Johnson is leaving Stanford for LSU? Does he have ties to LSU or the SEC? Even with the Lopez twins leaving, Stanford is still in a good position in a great conference to recruit talented kids... ala Landry Fields.

If I were a Stanford booster or alum, I'd be pissed that Trent made his decision to leave after Monty signed on with CAL... it could have been a great homecoming for Mike Montgomery.

The PAC-10 coaching carousel this offseason is getting to be as interesting as the WCC's.

GoZags
04-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Actually Stanford just signed a home and home series with Butler, so I dont think thats the problem.

This is a huge loss for Stanford, but there had been some rumors circulating in the Bay Area that Johnson was no the guy for the new AD. Id be very surprised if the person hired isnt a Stanford guy, as Johnson was before. If he had some success at Portland would have been a possibility. If they were going to go out of the Stanford family, I wouldnt mind seeing the Cornell coach, as he understands recruiting the student-athlete, and was able to break the Penn and Princeton lock on the Ivy league

Trent Johnson was tired of having Stanford lose to Gonzaga on his watch. It wasn't so much the ESPN Gameday in the Kennel as it was the loss in Maples the following year. Thus -- the Butler deal has zero to do with Johnson's feelings about Gonzaga.

CDC84
04-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Help me understand by Trent Johnson is leaving Stanford for LSU? Does he have ties to LSU or the SEC? Even with the Lopez twins leaving, Stanford is still in a good position in a great conference to recruit talented kids... ala Landry Fields.

One word: recruiting. That, and a bad relationship with an AD (as a previous poster suggested).

The table that Stanford has to choose from is very small when it comes to landing the kind of elite players (Lopez twins, for example) that are necessary to win the Pac 10 most years. And even if they can find the elite guys who can academically qualify, they still lean toward the factory schools because they intend on bailing for the NBA in 1-2 years. In order for Stanford to get the Burger Boy types, they usually need to have an in....like the kid having immediate family members who attended the university. Landry Fields is a nice complementary player, and he is actually typical of what Stanford normally gets, but you can't win the Pac 10 with those guys these days...you must surround them with the type of guys who could play for UCLA and Arizona: the Lopez twins, Josh Childress, Casey Jacobsen, etc.

Meanwhile, LSU has ridiculous resources and is in the middle of a goldmine for prep basketball talent. It also has the advantage of being a football school. Being a football school used to have a negative stigma to it, but guys like Billy Donovan, Rick Barnes and Thad Matta have thrived in such situations.

zagster318
04-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Meanwhile, LSU has ridiculous resources and is in the middle of a goldmine for prep basketball talent. It also has the advantage of being a football school. Being a football school used to have a negative stigma to it, but guys like Billy Donovan, Rick Barnes and Thad Matta have thrived in such situations.

With regard to the resource issue, Stanford has the money to improve its athletic facilities. By the last count, the endowment was over 17 BILLION! If LSU can have the facilities they do with a student population of 34,000 and a 600 million dollar endowment, Stanford can do it as well. Simply put, it's a matter of desire.

cbbfanatic
04-10-2008, 03:09 PM
desire is everything in sports... i dont think anyone is taking money out of their endowment for their athletics...

SEC coaches get paid, they can recruit, and the academic stipulations arent as stringent.

i was very surprised when i heard the news, but upon further thought, this one isnt all that confusing for an ambitious coach that wants to roll the dice to win big over hanging out in a comfortable situation

zagster318
04-10-2008, 06:05 PM
desire is everything in sports... i dont think anyone is taking money out of their endowment for their athletics...

SEC coaches get paid, they can recruit, and the academic stipulations arent as stringent.

i was very surprised when i heard the news, but upon further thought, this one isnt all that confusing for an ambitious coach that wants to roll the dice to win big over hanging out in a comfortable situation

Allow me to clarify. If Stanford is able to acquire a 17.4 billion dollar endowment, then they shouldn't have a hard time finding money to keep their coaches. I guess it's just not that important to them. Same goes for other BCS academic powerhouses like Northwestern, Vanderbilt, etc. I would add Duke into that category, but their academic standards are not very high for athletes. A few years ago, I read an SI article that said the average Duke basketball player scored a 950 or 960 on the SAT, whereas the average Duke student had an SAT score of 1490. Georgetown was even worse...average student: 1470, average basketball player: 830.