PDA

View Full Version : Rivals Top 25 for next year --Zags ranked

omahazag
04-09-2008, 06:46 AM
10th. Although this means absolutely nothing, I still like seeing it.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=795213

TexasZagFan
04-09-2008, 07:08 AM
No offense, omaha, but I don't care to read another word about polls.

Polls, like potential, mean absolutely nothing.

It's time for this program, and its players, to develop a collective chip on its shoulder. For all of the purported "talent" on this team, I think they underperformed. I still marvel at how hard teams like Memphis, Tennessee, and Kansas played, their consistency of effort over the entire 40 minutes.

I can deal with missed free throws and the occasional turnover. I have grown weary of our sloppy passes and nonchalant play over extended periods of time. The only players on last year's team that consistently played with "the eye of the tiger" were Pendo and Pargo. There were glimpses shown by other players, but the consistency was lacking.

Having said that, I'm incredibly excited about the prospects for next year's team. I like seeing "Gonzaga" in the polls, no question. But my eyes will be on the prize next year, which to me is no worse than a Sweet Sixteen berth.

omahazag
04-09-2008, 08:13 AM
No offense, omaha, but I don't care to read another word about polls.

Polls, like potential, mean absolutely nothing.

It's time for this program, and its players, to develop a collective chip on its shoulder. For all of the purported "talent" on this team, I think they underperformed. I still marvel at how hard teams like Memphis, Tennessee, and Kansas played, their consistency of effort over the entire 40 minutes.

I can deal with missed free throws and the occasional turnover. I have grown weary of our sloppy passes and nonchalant play over extended periods of time. The only players on last year's team that consistently played with "the eye of the tiger" were Pendo and Pargo. There were glimpses shown by other players, but the consistency was lacking.

Having said that, I'm incredibly excited about the prospects for next year's team. I like seeing "Gonzaga" in the polls, no question. But my eyes will be on the prize next year, which to me is no worse than a Sweet Sixteen berth.

That's fine, don't read anymore about polls.

I'm not reading anything into these polls-- thought i made that clear above. I agree that polls mean nothing if GU doesn't perform

CDC84
04-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Further proof about how absurd these polls are at this time of year.....

http://ucla.scout.com/a.z?s=12&p=2&c=744270&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fucla.scout.com%2f2%2f744 270.html

westcoasthoops101
04-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Also, USD is in the "others considered" part.

TexasZagFan
04-09-2008, 09:22 AM
That's fine, don't read anymore about polls.

I'm not reading anything into these polls-- thought i made that clear above. I agree that polls mean nothing if GU doesn't perform

Didn't mean to single you out omaha. You did make it clear. It's also clear that at least one lurker didn't like the tone of my comments, as he/she gave me, or tried to give me, negative rep.

What that lurker didn't realize, one has to have little green boxes, i.e. a positive rep count, to send out negative rep. Otherwise, it just shows up as a gray box...and I know that Uber would never send me negative rep! :lmao: :roll: :fingergun:

JLGutrocks
04-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Andy Katz has us preseason 11 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3337602).

Rubbadub
04-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Andy Katz has us preseason 11 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3337602).

While Katz' rankings are better, imo, than Rivals, I have to LOL at his rankings of Pittsburgh and Syracuse.

bartruff1
04-09-2008, 10:10 AM
I visit this forum cuz I am a fan of Gonzaga Basketball and I really appreciate the thoughtful people who give links to sites where I can get some insight to what is likely to happen next season. The Polls are very very accurate, they represent the collective judgement of people with professional knowledge and decades of experience. If you compare the preseason poll for 2007 to the final poll, you will see that it was amazingly accurate. Potential means a lot to me. Thanks again to those of you who can provide useful information about the teams and players...

zagster318
04-09-2008, 10:22 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8003338/A-very-early-look-at-next-year's-Top-25

spudzag
04-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Interesting he has UCLA at 17 and 3rd in the PAC-10. Does't seem likely.

I'd rather not see GU ranked. I'd rather have them snubbed and have to fight for it!

jim77
04-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Not surprised at all. In Fact I think we'll be near top 5 when the "Dash for Cash" concludes. Wether we think their talented or not, their single digit ranking coming in will sober them up in a hurry....we're stacked, face it. Go get em' Zags!

cbbfanatic
04-09-2008, 12:45 PM
we're stacked, face it.

sorry, with all objectivity, i dont see it.

i see the same team as last year, that didnt really win enough BIG games for this kind of consideration, and loses 2 of their most intense and physically tough players, which i would say is the programs big weakness right now. they bring in guys that i wouldnt expect to make an instant impact

where is the toughness or leadership?

i see this team as a potential top 25, but no way a top 10 team. thats just me.

NewbyZag
04-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I agree with cbbfanatic, the team definitely needs to step up as far as toughness goes. It hurts losing Pendo and Kuso in that regard because they left it all on the court. Nevertheless, people leaving open up roles for other players on this next year's squad. Although it will only be his second season in the system, i believe that Ira will step up and become a leader on this team, both on and off the court. Nevertheless i believe the key for the team next year will be the play of bouldin. He needs to become a more visible leader for the team and stop disappearing from games in crucial situations. If bouldin can improve in this aspect and pargo returns for his senior year, the backcourt will be in good shape. With that said, leadership and toughness is something that this program will need to improve on in 08/09 if they are going to make any noise.

gonzozag
04-10-2008, 09:17 AM
The departure of Pendo and Kuso opens doors for more talented players to take more of a leadership position. I think there is a better chance they develop mental toughness with this sort of a role.

jim77
04-10-2008, 11:05 AM
sorry, with all objectivity, i dont see it.

i see the same team as last year, that didnt really win enough BIG games for this kind of consideration, and loses 2 of their most intense and physically tough players, which i would say is the programs big weakness right now. they bring in guys that i wouldnt expect to make an instant impact

where is the toughness or leadership?

i see this team as a potential top 25, but no way a top 10 team. thats just me.

Uconn wasn't big??? WKY? How about that sweet 16 team USD? How about that Davidson team that gave the National champions all they wanted??? Now factor in the best player on the team who was hurt the whole way..or the prolific 3 pointer who was also hurt. I guess we now know why our bigs didn't show up for Davidson...Kuso hurt....Josh only played 25 minutes. We played most of the season with 1 arm tied behind our backs.

Do ya think Daye will get any better??? What about gray???? Does Sacre improve any??? ( he didn't look too shabby against Uconn and WKY) Do you see a Pargo digression???? I'm sure Matt won't improve either. Isn't Pendo going after a law degree at GU??? I just gotta think he'll still have an influence on the fellas. Do ya think Ira will know the system any better?????

As hard as I try, I cannot come up with any valid reasons why this team will be worse next year. However, I can come up with a bunch why our competition on the national scene might not be quite what it was. This team will have the best chance of any to get it done.

Pargo needs to lead the country in assists and the fellas have got to avoid all the injuries....we'll see.

tobizag
04-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Uconn wasn't big??? WKY? How about that sweet 16 team USD? How about that Davidson team that gave the National champions all they wanted??? Now factor in the best player on the team who was hurt the whole way..or the prolific 3 pointer who was also hurt. I guess we now know why our bigs didn't show up for Davidson...Kuso hurt....Josh only played 25 minutes. We played most of the season with 1 arm tied behind our backs.

Do ya think Daye will get any better??? What about gray???? Does Sacre improve any??? ( he didn't look too shabby against Uconn and WKY) Do you see a Pargo digression???? I'm sure Matt won't improve either. Isn't Pendo going after a law degree at GU??? I just gotta think he'll still have an influence on the fellas. Do ya think Ira will know the system any better?????

As hard as I try, I cannot come up with any valid reasons why this team will be worse next year. However, I can come up with a bunch why our competition on the national scene might not be quite what it was. This team will have the best chance of any to get it done.

Pargo needs to lead the country in assists and the fellas have got to avoid all the injuries....we'll see.

just a few corrections and observations. first, usd didn't make the sweet 16...they lost to wky in the second round. uconn was imo a clearly better team later in the season. when we played them, they weren't quite what they were heading into the big east tourny. also, losing one of their top players early in the usd game helped them lose. not to say usd isn't a good team, or that beating uconn wasn't big, just trying to be objective.

and while we played davidson, we didn't beat them. instead, we blew a couple of double digit leads at various points in the game. now, we can argue all day about whether we lost or stephen curry beat us (and everyone else under the sun) with his shooting prowess...point is, ultimately it was still a loss. you have to beat good teams. hanging with them and having chances to win doesn't do anything.

josh was hurt (or something was wrong) for the entire season, yes. but that begs the question: will he stay healthy next year? could he be a guy that may later be labeled "injury prone"? imo, the weaknesses i saw (from top to bottom, senior to freshman, starter to 9th man) tended to be things like lazy passes, constantly complaining to the refs and losing focus on the game at hand...etc. things like this, imo, can be changed with a change in attitude. i am simply an onlooker. but when i watched us play, and saw our three guards turn the ball over 15 times against davidson with soft, telegraphed passses, it looked like we just weren't giving 100%. when i watched daye or pendo constantly giving the tim duncan look to the refs after each whistle, i thought, why don't these guys figure out what is being called, and not do it? sure, they may have never committed a foul in their life, but if someone is calling a foul on you for standing 3 inches away from a player, then you back up to 4 inches. the best players and programs read the flow of the game, and adjust.

to me, watching all these things happening over the last 4 or 5 years, it seems to be a pattern. i don't know what the issue is, but clearly the killer zag spirit is missing. cbbfanatic, is this what you were talking about as well?

cbbfanatic
04-10-2008, 02:10 PM
jim77 - i said they didnt win ENOUGH big games to get such lofty consideration for next year. and no, i dont think beating wku counts as "big" for teams that want to be in the top 10. think about it... so as a "big" win you had uconn... which looks better in retrospect than at the time. didnt read the rest of your post so forgive me if i dont address any other questions you had for me

tobizag, yes, i agree with your last statement