PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: 2009'er Carly Noyes

BobZag
04-08-2008, 03:22 PM
The 6'4" Center from the town of Moses Lake, WA, is highly regarded and is being recruited by most Pac-10 schools, along with good MWC and Big-12 teams, but Gonzaga is high on her list and Carly is high on Gonzaga's list. Hopefully Coach Kelly Graves brings her to Spokane. She's just what the Zags need: a skilled center.

Oldsport
04-08-2008, 04:10 PM
I recently watched Carly and the Spokane Stars Elite Blue team win the "Shootout 2008" in the Spokane Valley last month. I don't know Carly and haven't watched her play but have read about her talents on the board, newspapers and Internet. The program listed her as 6' 5" but I thought that was a misprint. At 6' 4" she really represents a real large player on the court. Don't get me wrong. Carly is not overweight, just BIG. Other players would try to bounce her out of position and they learned quickly that they would need plenty of help to move Carly around. I witnessed real grit on her inside game. Carly has good speed for a player this size and her movements looked calculated, smooth and demanding. On one running fast-break three defenders fouled Carly underneath with all four players falling to the floor. I was impressed with her skills!!!:)

I would love to see Carly Noyes as a Lady Zag in 2009!!!:clap:

MickMick
04-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I have watched her play a couple of times. She has the size. She needs development. If you are expecting dominant inside play (at the D1 level) it really isn't there yet. Sure....girls bounce off her like a gnat, but she could really use a quick first step and an aggressive move or two. She is too quick to pass the ball back out when she has a clear advantage inside. Pasco High really bottled her up with much shorter players at regionals. Not the rebounding machine that 6'1" Allison Walker (who can high jump 5'5") is either. Not by a long shot. I'm nitpicking here, but I don't want people to have too high of expectations coming in.

What I don't understand is why Carly's 6'3" sister doesn't get more attention. Not as "big boned" but definately a better ball handler. Just seems to have better hand/eye coordination in my opinion.

In the end, Carly will be a fine player more than worthy of a spot on the roster. A valuable contributer. I'm simply saying she needs a little work. Most centers do.

MickMick
04-12-2008, 07:19 PM
I read my post in this thread a couple of days later and realized that it was overly critical of Carly Noyes. She is better than how I described. Certainly a Pac-10 level player. Her upside is terrific. Needs a little work, but what freshman doesn't?

Didn't mean to come across so harshly.

BobZag
04-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Carly will improve with age. What we're seeing now is akin to a young filly to a mare. That's how it is with big, tall girls. Her future is very bright.

MickMick
04-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I only know bits and pieces as I can not find any on line information, but rather a recollection of some conversation with a person that made the trip...so here goes:

The Spokane Stars recently finished playing in a 32 team (select status) tournament in Tempe Arizona. The teams were good enough to attract the likes of the new SCU coach (Mountain) as well as Zag coach Kelley Graves. The coach of the NCAA runner up Stanford team was seen in attendance as well as many other coaches and recruiters.

The Spokane Stars (Blue squad) won the tournament going undefeated in four days of play. Further, they won the championship game by a whopping score of 63-26....zooming out to a quick 22-2 early lead.

Notable starters were Carly Noyes at the 5 position. Allison Walker at the 4 position, and Jordan Loera at point guard. Don't know the box scores or any other details.

If anyone has more information or links to the event, I would appreciate the post :)

Oldsport
04-22-2008, 10:39 PM
You have to wonder if the Stars are headed for another National Championship? Sounds like they have some good talent. They have so many games between now and then. Good Luck Stars!:)

My son lives in Portland, OR and I will be there for a visit on the 4th of July, weekend. I think that's when the End-Of-Trail Tournament takes place. I may have to drop in and watch some good hoops. I know this tournament draws elite teams from all over the nation. I have been to some of their games in the past and was never disappointed.;)

MickMick
04-24-2008, 04:53 PM
The event was called:

Arizona Elite Spring Classic '08

But I cannot find any online information about the results.