PDA

View Full Version : Maybe next year....

kdoggy
04-08-2008, 07:15 AM
What a great tournament. I was bummed because I had Memphis in my pool, but also because I like Coach Cal and his team's style of play. Sometimes it appears they could run some more sets rather than the Walberg "Dribble-Drive" offense. It looks like a lot of one-on-one most of the time. Ah, the free throws. If they made an extra one, they're champs. Tough loss.

This Zags team was not one not on of my faves. They just lacked that something. They seemed to lack chemistry and never seemed to have that go-to guy that could takeover games. I was kicking around theories with some old buddies as Curry was torching them for 40. Is it possible that we have gotten to the point where we have a collection of recruits where the game has come easy to them. Are we lacking a 22 year old Kyle Bankhead that can put an 18 year old AAU star in his place? Is there an ass kicker in practice like Turiaf and Calvary? Is there a star that works harder than everyone else like Dickau? I think they certainly lacked a bonafide star like Morrison, who could put people intheir place, kick ass,a nd work harder than others.

I am not in panic mode and am not saying the program is on a slide but it there just seems to be subtle differences in the overall vibe. It just seems that at a time that Gonzaga should be much better on paper they are just a little bit worse. Well, probably like a Cub fan, I'll be picking then for a Final Four run come october.

gueastcoast
04-08-2008, 07:33 AM
It just seems that at a time that Gonzaga should be much better on paper they are just a little bit worse.

Well said. I think that is a very apt description of this year's Zag squad. Whether to chalk that up to injuries, lack of team chemistry, lack of a "go-to" guy, lack of toughness (mental or physical), coaching, etc., or some combination of these, is the question.

For my part I think it was a combination of things, with injuries (esp. Josh's) contributing to both a lack of chemistry and preventing him from emerging as this year's go-to guy (as a 4 or 5 I will leave to others to debate). I think small/nagging injuries to others also played a role.

As with the Cubs, wait 'til next year...

229SintoZag
04-08-2008, 08:51 AM
What a great tournament. I was bummed because I had Memphis in my pool, but also because I like Coach Cal and his team's style of play. Sometimes it appears they could run some more sets rather than the Walberg "Dribble-Drive" offense. It looks like a lot of one-on-one most of the time. Ah, the free throws. If they made an extra one, they're champs. Tough loss.

This Zags team was not one not on of my faves. They just lacked that something. They seemed to lack chemistry and never seemed to have that go-to guy that could takeover games. I was kicking around theories with some old buddies as Curry was torching them for 40. Is it possible that we have gotten to the point where we have a collection of recruits where the game has come easy to them. Are we lacking a 22 year old Kyle Bankhead that can put an 18 year old AAU star in his place? Is there an ass kicker in practice like Turiaf and Calvary? Is there a star that works harder than everyone else like Dickau? I think they certainly lacked a bonafide star like Morrison, who could put people intheir place, kick ass,a nd work harder than others.

I am not in panic mode and am not saying the program is on a slide but it there just seems to be subtle differences in the overall vibe. It just seems that at a time that Gonzaga should be much better on paper they are just a little bit worse. Well, probably like a Cub fan, I'll be picking then for a Final Four run come october.

Kdoggy you will be glad to know that I agree with you for once.

This year's team seemed to lack heart and to lack a killer instinct. For some reason the total team seemed less than the sum of its individually very talented parts. This is the opposite of most prior Zag teams.

I saw nobody on the floor this year with the burning desire to win that we saw in the likes of Calvary, Santangelo, Morrison, Dickau. Pargo came close at times but it was never realy enough.

Here's hoping Austin and Gray develop that guttiness next year, because I don't see it coming from the upperclassmen (Downs, Josh, Pargo--although Jeremy could well develop it and it would not surprise me a bit).

kdoggy
04-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Hoops is apolitical, Sinto! Itís one of the better things about sports. In fact the conversation was with a former Zag left winger type.

I think sometimes I get a little sentimental about the teams of the past and the philosophy on how teams were built. In our day (oh, brother), our guys were mostly walk-ons and transfers(thanks, UW). These guys were smart, tireless and tough dudes that weren't impressed with the high school pedigrees of their opponents or even their own teammates and relished the opportunity to put them in their place. I think when you have the Matt Stanfords, Mark Spinks, Ryan Floyds and Kyle Bankheads in your mix, the more highly recruited player can't take things or their minutes for granted. Truthfully, I think the days of finding the hidden gem without a school offering them something are gone. I think Curry is the exception to the rule.

I soemtimes wonder if college recruiters spend more time trying to collect recruits with 5-stars than recruit guys that are a good fit for the system. I rarely hear as much about Gonzaga recruiting to their system these days. We certainly land more high profile recruits that are good contributers, but the end result has not been significantly better. I think Cal at memphis does this pretty well. Sure, he's got a few horses in CDR and Rose, but guys like Dozier and Dorseys strike me as guys that play their butts off and it more than makes up for whatever shortcomings they have in their games. The player that probably fit this mold for the Zags this year was Kuso. He earned his minutes at the expense of a more talented Heytvelt. I thought he was great.

TexasZagFan
04-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Watching last night's game, and our games against Memphis and Tennessee, I was struck by how hard these teams play...flying after loose balls, playing hard nose defense, mixing it up under the boards, etc.

I found the term I've been searching for, as consistently emulated by Pendo: grit. For the past couple of years, the Zags have not been a gritty team, nor has the basketball IQ been very high (sloppy/weak passes, turnovers, etc.).

With the exception of Jeremy, I'm not sure who else can be characterized as a gritty player. Perhaps Gurganious, perhaps Ira...I don't see Austin, Matt or Steven, or any other Zags in that light.

Having seen what it takes to play at the level of Memphis, UT, et al, I just think we need to improve on our grit and hoops IQ. We aren't that far away.

UberZagFan
04-08-2008, 12:48 PM
I was bummed because I had Memphis in my pool

You mean to say you didn't have GU going all the way?!?!?

TexasZagFan
04-08-2008, 01:41 PM
You mean to say you didn't have GU going all the way?!?!?

I did...and I ended ninth in an 8-man pool... :lmao:

cbbfanatic
04-08-2008, 06:38 PM
i couldnt possibly agree more with those that say that this GU team needs more grit and toughness. i think it is their biggest and most frustrating weakness, by far