PDA

View Full Version : NW Shootout??

jake
04-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Did anyone go to the NW Shootout last night? If so, any comments on Poling or others? The Oregonian lists stats for a few players in their article, but I haven't been able to find a box score. I see Washington won 108-105 and Reggie Moore and DeAngelo Casto were co-MVPs, but that's about it. Here is a link to the Oregonian article http://www.oregonlive.com/prepsports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1207549548207040.xml&coll=7

Ezag
04-07-2008, 07:56 AM
I know a lot of people are not high on Casto but he sounds like the fire inside we could use when Josh is gone...

SageOfZagville
04-07-2008, 08:02 AM
4-13 with two free throws. 10 Points

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsports/2004332051_nwshootout07.html

Supposedly, his offense was his strongest thing going. He did have three blocks.

xjzico
04-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Poling 4-13, 2-2 10pts, 3 blks, 3 stls. Rebounds weren't given for individual players, but according to the OregonLive.com (http://blog.oregonlive.com/highschool/2008/04/northwest_shootout_boys_pregam.html) game blog, he had 5 rebs at halftime. Oregon's leading rebounder finished with 9 rebs.

finechina2003
04-07-2008, 08:15 AM
I know a lot of people are not high on Casto but he sounds like the fire inside we could use when Josh is gone...

Ezag,

I agree totally with you. I have been baffled by the lack of support and enthusiasm regarding Casto. I have seen him play and I know teachers at Ferris who have told me that "he isn't a bad kid". I believe that we are going to regret missing out on a real talent in our own backyard. I guess time will tell.

pbriz
04-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Ezag,

I agree totally with you. I have been baffled by the lack of support and enthusiasm regarding Casto. I have seen him play and I know teachers at Ferris who have told me that "he isn't a bad kid". I believe that we are going to regret missing out on a real talent in our own backyard. I guess time will tell.

I am very curious to see who ends up being the better player-Poling or Casto.

I have seen Casto in person and he isn't that thick, but looks like the type of kid who could really beef up if given time in the weight room. Poling has a height advantage and isn't quite as raw, but doesn't seem as if he can put on the weight as easy as Casto, just considering their frames and body types.

In the end tho, I think Poling will end up being a fantastic player in the mold of a less athletic Andrew Bogut. Great skill set and the ability to step out and hit a shot if needed. That being said, I think Gonzaga needs passion... and I really would like to see Casto signed if Jeff Taylor and Taylor King pass on us.

You gotta love the passionate ones like Calvary, Morrison, Pargo.....

gamagin
04-07-2008, 01:51 PM
there are a dozen or more threads re this kid on the GUB if anyone wants to review them.

I wrote this on 7/1/07 after watching him play in the K2 a a bkb camp with loads of talented players attending.

He has only improved from there, helping ferris win another state championship, being named state POY along with the more recent award mentioned here. If he can get into GU, I think we'd be lucky to get him. and Happy, too.

--
7/1/07: I was also impressed with Casto. He has the wingspan of a jumbo jet. He wasn't inclined to lift those wings too often, but they are still there. well rested.

Casto seemed to be head and shoulders taller than anyone else.

When he did lift his arms a couple of times -- perhaps it was just a pre-flight test -- the rest of the players found themselves suddenly in the shade, perhaps preceeded by a gust of wind.
#