PDA

View Full Version : Kansas v Memphis: Who Wins?

BobZag
04-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Will Gonzaga be playing the 2008 National Champion Memphis Tigers next year in the arena, or will the Kansas Jayhawks take their first championship since 1988?

Who wins?

(If a mod would like to add a poll, please do)

My pick: Memphis! 79-70.

GonzagaGurl08
04-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I go with Memphis as well. :D

pbriz
04-06-2008, 02:28 PM
I gotta go with the Jayhawks. They are just too deep and talented. A 58 point hammering against Texas Tech this year convinced me they would take it all.

Just too much talent.

GPGUgrad
04-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Go Memphis!!! :)

gamagin
04-06-2008, 02:35 PM
by 1.5 to 2 pts.

It should be a barn burner.

I assume everyone is healthy & the refs are going to let them play. If so, I like memphis for its organized chaos.

If it were a series, I think I'd take Kansas. I think it's just too much to adjust to a stampede, during the stampede, in a one-game situation.

Otoh, if anyone can break it loose, it would be the Jayhawks. But I don't think they are as hard-wired to do it for 40 minutes.

jbslicer
04-06-2008, 02:50 PM
My pick is Kansas. They have more guys who can score. Plus four big bodies in the post.
I'll be rooting for Memphis.

BroncoZAG615
04-06-2008, 03:00 PM
I like Memphis. But it is completely out of pure being a fan, little objectivity in this decision. I do like how hot they have been though and how they have looked better than any other team. They stomped both Michigan State and Texas and had the UCLA game in complete control. They are at the top of their game. I don't see their guards being stopped.

Here is a great great article about Joey Dorsey, one of my favorite players not in a Gonzaga uniform. Pretty interesting stuff.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=ga-dorsey040608

gu03alum
04-06-2008, 03:01 PM
I have liked Memphis all year. I'm going to keep riding that horse. I love CDR and Rose.

bigblahla
04-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Mini-me blahla picks Memphis by 5 I'm going with him. Go Tigers!

Go!! Zags!!!

zag67
04-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Memphis by a nose.b Should be a great game.

Oregon Zag
04-06-2008, 03:49 PM
I go with Memphis, too.

CDC84
04-06-2008, 04:13 PM
It's a tough one. Kansas has more overall talent from top to bottom, but the Jayhawks do not have two players who are as good as Derrick Rose and CDR. And the guys surrounding Rose and CDR are hardly chopped liver.

Once again, I think that Rose is just going to abuse the smaller guards who will be facing him.....in this case, Robinson and Chalmers. We saw versus UCLA that smaller guards - even ones who are great defenders - cannot handle Rose.

The key matchup in this game is likely going to be Brandon Rush vs. CDR. Rush is an excellent wing defender, and he might have a chance to disrupt CDR and keep him off balance. If that happens, it's going to put extra pressure on the other Tigers to score. Not that they can't, but there will be that added pressure.

From a coaching standpoint, unlike Ben Howland, I would not be surprised to see Bill Self throw some zone at Memphis. I think Howland's stubborness to use any zone cost his team dearly. I don't think you can play Memphis man to man for a whole game. UCLA not zoning also fed into Memphis' desire to speed up the game. Self showed even in the Davidson game that he's willing to shake up his defense - even going so far as to throw a box and one on Stephen Curry. The other thing about zoning Memphis is that it can tempt them into shooting a lot of three pointers, which is something that killed them in the Tennessee loss. Although Kansas has the athletes and transition game to compete with Memphis, it is still to their advantage to keep it a halfcourt affair because of their superior halfcourt offense and larger array of offensive talent.

The Memphis frontcourt didn't have to worry about the foul trouble that they got into vs. UCLA because they only had to concentrate on Kevin Love. In this game, they have to deal with both Arthur and Jackson, as well as Kaun and Aldrich coming off the bench. While none of Kansas' bigs are the force that Love is, they are all talented, and Arthur/Jackson are highly athletic. It's something that Dorsey/Taggart/Dozier are not used to contending with very often. They really need to watch their fouls.

I am going with Memphis in this game because I think Rose and CDR are transcendent players who will find a way to pull the game out in the final minutes, but Kansas is without a doubt the toughest matchup in the tournament for Memphis, and it would be hardly shocking to see them win the game. I have always felt that Kansas was the most complete team in college ball this year. However, while I normally favor such teams to win it all (as I like to say: "He who has the most weapons wins the NCAA Tournament"), I do think teams who possess a transcendent player or two can overcome such things in a one and done format.

MickMick
04-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I'll take Memphis because of Rose. He is the best college point I have seen in a long long time.

The Kansas bigs are vastly under rated. All of em play at a high level. If Kansas wins, it is because of them.

McZag
04-06-2008, 05:39 PM
UCLA's defense, one of the country's best, couldn't begin to contain Memphis. The Kansas defense was phenominal against UNC. Unbelievable. If Kansas plays it's best defense, which will be difficult to do twice in 2 days, Memphis will beat it anyway and make history.

Memphis has been in the shadow too long. Tiger time.

P.S. Mark Few, the coach who solidified Gonzaga as a notable baskeball program, and the Zags lost to Memphis on Memphis' home court by 8 points- in case anyone forgot.

zagirl2k
04-06-2008, 06:04 PM
I have Memphis winning it all in most of my brackets so I will stick with them.

Plus if they win, I win the GUBoards Yahoo Brackets. :D

jim77
04-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Memphis by 12....agree with CDC. Rose and CDR are too much for Kansas. I have to say that the Memphis "offensive push" even surprised the Bruins.

Next year Memphis will be without Rose and Dorsey....the Zags will be at the advantage. It'll be cool to host the defending National Champions..GO TIGERS!

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I like Memphis because they'll have the best player on the court in D-Rose.

ZagNut08
04-06-2008, 09:24 PM
If Memphis stays out of foul trouble, I gotta pick them

thebigsmoove
04-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Memphis of course...i said they would win it all before the first preseason polls this year...gotta stick with my pick

VinnyZag
04-06-2008, 10:42 PM
I think Kansas will win, and not just because they have fewer guys who punch their girlfriend in public. Memphis' weaknesses -- chiefly, inconsistent shooting -- will finally be exposed. And John Calipari's smug grin will finally be wiped off his face.

MedZag
04-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I'll take Memphis because of Rose. He is the best college point I have seen in a long long time.

And a heck of a humble young man as well.

Hope he carries that into The League.

Sarenyon
04-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Because of CDR and Rose... especially if Rose runs the point the way he has been able to throughout this tourney.

It could be close though, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jayhawks pull it out...

but I'll stick with Memphis.

FrosTbear
04-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Best match up in years...but when I look at the big men on KU's team sorry but the tigers will not be able to match up. KU by 12

Rubbadub
04-07-2008, 06:05 AM
If Kansas wins, Rub gets $100 in the office pool (3rd place). If Kansas loses, Rub gets a respectable 9th place (but no money).

Bulldog
04-07-2008, 06:33 AM
I have Kansas as far as brackets go, but would like to see the Kansas fans get crushed.

Zagme-totheleft!
04-07-2008, 07:12 AM
this was the first year I made the worst decision with regards to March Madness and I filled out two brackets...go Memphis/KU. terrible idea.

As skilled as KU is all around, i too want Memphis to win.

siliconzag
04-07-2008, 12:49 PM
As you know I have become more or less an emeritus member of the GUB. Occasionally I share some of my thoughts, and I thought today, I would let it all hang out and dare to make a prediction which apparently does not conform to the popular prognostications made above.

So I would like to say that Sarah, (and Sili) knows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOHiKu9M0y4

McZag
04-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Anybody watching this? If this is D-1 the rest of the country was playing D-II all year. These teams are in a Div. of their own.

Rubbadub
04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Overtime!!!

Awesome game so far.