PDA

View Full Version : Dickau's future in the NBA

Dickau43
04-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Dickau's contract is expiring in a few games, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what his chances are of getting another contract? His overall stats aren't that impressive, and he's obviously a career backup at this point (he'll be 30 by the time next season begins), but I think he deserves to stick around and I hope a team is smart enough to sign him. He's been kicked around a lot but he's always produced pretty well when he's been given consistent minutes.

In the past month, he's played in 16 games, starting six times and averaging about 20 minutes per game. He's shot almost 52% (51-for-99) and scored over 8 points per game. He's averaging 3.4 assists and only 1 turnover during this span. Also, his days of getting into foul trouble are over; he's yet to pick up more than 3 fouls in any of these games, and hasn't committed 5 fouls in a game all year.

He's also been very good in the 4th quarter lately, which shouldn't surprise any GU fans. You'd have to be crazy not to want to have this guy as at least a 3rd string point guard. I'd like to see him stick around and hopefully contribute for a playoff team. Maybe the Hornets will get him back?

http://www.nba.com/media/hornets/dickau-shot.mp3 :D

applezag
04-06-2008, 09:13 AM
I watched Dickau vs. Portland a couple of weeks ago in person and thought he looked better than he ever has as a pro. The biggest impression he made on me was on the defensive end. He is much improved. Still below average, but there was a time when he may have been one of the worst on ball defenders in the league (not a good trait for a PG). I don't think that could be said any more. He looked quicker and savvier on that end. Offensively he just gets the job done and hits open shots. I think he is also improved in his ability to handle tough, physical on ball pressure bringing the ball up the court. They could look for him a little bit more spotting up, but he obviously isn't their priority right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a new contract just because he is solid and professional about how he goes about his job. There are a lot of guys who would have been a real issue on teams in the role that he has had. They probably won't want to pay him very much, though. Don't know if that plays into things. Don't more experienced players have higher minimum contracts? The NBA salary structure is so weird, I don't even try to understand it.

MedZag
04-06-2008, 09:45 AM
He's an established journeyman in the league at this point, which mean his name will be on the list of pretty much any team looking to fill a need he can supply. He'll get another contract.

Dickau43
04-06-2008, 10:02 AM
He used to be a trainwreck on defense - he couldn't stop anyone and he'd pick up fouls constantly. You're right, he's improved greatly, just like we all knew he would, because he works so hard. The stats on www.82games.com show that the Clippers are only a tiny bit worse on defense when he's out there (109.4 points allowed per 100 possessions vs. 108.8), but they're much better on offense (106.6 points scored per 100 possessions vs. 101.1). He has by far the highest +/- of any PG on the Clippers (other than Cassell who is gone).

I also like the clutch stats which show he has an effective FG% of 71.4 and a 9-to-1 assist/turnover ratio in the last 5 minutes or overtime of games that are within 5 points. If the Clippers put in Brevin Knight or Smush Parker at the end of a close game again this year, you know they're tanking!

zzzjag
04-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I have caught quite a few Clips games (mostly the 4th quarter) and noticed how well he has played. The announcers and the crowd really seem to like him quite a bit.
I think the Smush Parker 'expirament' is over and Dan is getting the key minutes once again. I suspect he will stick with the Clips.

I feel sorry for him on Defense though. Its as if the opposing teams Power Forwards and Centers look to screen and roll off of him most every time down. He is getting picked so often, his head is on a swivel to try and predict which way he is going to be picked. Offensively, he has been great at starting the team offense and finding spot up 3s.

Hopefully good things come for him next season.

CDC84
04-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Whatever comes of Dan, he's going to walk away from the game with a good amount of money in the bank:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dickada01.html

He's going to go over 8 million in his career by the end of this season.

If you're a sensible person like he is, and you avoid the whole bling bling lifestyle, I'm telling you, it pays to be a NBA journeyman.

alaskazagnut
04-06-2008, 09:44 PM
than when he was with New Orleans. He averaged 13 pts a game and about 5 assists with the Hornets and they gave him the chance to prove his worth. That time with the Hornets really saved his career. He is a very smart player, and is getting better every year. Even Steve Nash took 4 years to become a starter and get the experience and skills to be what he is today. Dickau should get a contract because he can run an offense as proven in New Orleans and he is better now and he is not an injury prone player.

MDABE80
04-06-2008, 11:13 PM
That's a lot of money CDC cites. Dan is one guy who is among the nicest kids we've had at GU. Glad to hear his D has picked up. I do see him playing and notice he's picked up some quickness. Given his 5 years, he's guaranteed for an NBA pension as well. Dan and his lovely wife will be fine. Hope he settles near GU. Great guy.

Ezag
04-07-2008, 07:58 AM
If the NBA doesn't work out, GU could always hire him to help these young guys shoot the lights out like he did in college :D

The Oregon Spike
04-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Double D will get another contract, not a big one, perhaps one year at veteran minimum..but he still has some NBA life in him....

gamagin
04-07-2008, 04:34 PM
has made it to the magic five years in the bigs, thus qualifying for a lifetime retirement which is among the most generous in all of sports.

So much of that pressure is off and that's a very good thing.