PDA

View Full Version : Katz: Monty to Cal

Angelo Roncalli
04-04-2008, 08:00 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3329152

omahazag
04-04-2008, 08:11 AM
I'm not surprised. It's a good job with a great recruiting base to work with. I didnt' think the fact that he coached at stanford would deter him from taking the job --- so what, things like that don't matter these days.

Great hire for Cal. Pac-10 is loaded with great coaches (excluding Ernie Kent of course :)).

a13coach
04-04-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm not surprised. It's a good job with a great recruiting base to work with. I didnt' think the fact that he coached at stanford would deter him from taking the job --- so what, things like that don't matter these days.

Great hire for Cal. Pac-10 is loaded with great coaches (excluding Ernie Kent of course :)).

You throwing Chicken Romar in that bunch? :confused:

omahazag
04-04-2008, 08:26 AM
You throwing Chicken Romar in that bunch? :confused:

I was just singling out Ernie b/c i think he is the worst coach in the Pac-10. Like Ernie, Romar can recruit but that's about it -- so no, I didn't mean to include Romar in that group.

CDC84
04-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Folks...Cal and Stanford is one of the most bitter rivalries in all of sports. The schools do not like each other. This is a controversial hire that's bound to generate a media firestorm in the local area.

I never thought Monty would do this....not after building the Stanford program from the ground up. He is aware of the bitterness between the 2 schools as much as anyone. Nonetheless, it's a great hire for Cal because Monty, from an X's and O's standpoint, is as good as it gets. He is the antithesis of Ben Braun.

The other reason I thought this would never happen is because if Monty's son joins him on the Cal coaching staff, I don't know if the university would be willing to guarantee that his son will take over the program after Mike retires. That kind of "hand over the program" type thing is more likely to happen at a smaller school.

I would imagine Stanford fans are going to have mixed feelings. One part of them will want to get a noose and hang the guy for betrayal, and the other part will want to think of him as a guy that's immune from criticism due to what he did to bring the Stanford program where it is today.

ToreroStudent
04-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Hopefully this keeps Bennett in his place. Stanford fans are going to be pissed!

zagco
04-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Cal-Stanford is quite a rivalry. Reminds Zagco a bit of Rick Pittino ending up at Louisville after the NBA stint, which came after his Kentucky gig. Although a rivarly, it seems like they haven't always played each other. Still, that had to really pizz off Kentucky fans.

Birddog
04-04-2008, 04:09 PM
The other reason I thought this would never happen is because if Monty's son joins him on the Cal coaching staff, I don't know if the university would be willing to guarantee that his son will take over the program after Mike retires. That kind of "hand over the program" type thing is more likely to happen at a smaller school.

Outside of the Bennett "handoff", how many others have been successful. There is a growing disdain for these built-in successors by both fans and AD's. If Pat Knight falters at Tech he will be joining Sean Sutton in no time.

siliconzag
04-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Good for the Bears. There is a history of coaches going back and forth which predates this. Even Mr. Walsh coached at both programs. And the antipathy that is displayed between Cal and Stanford is largely show. Living in the Bay area gives me a different perspective. Mind you, they hate losing to each other, but they don't really hate each other. Families are split, sometimes right down the middle with partisans of each university joining for Thanksgiving Day celebrations and the jokes are hilarious. Especially the ones against Stanford.

I think there is a Stanford sniffing position, and that some of their grads really do believe themselves to be superior to their Cal rivals. Lets face it, when the phone number to the ticket office is 1-800-BeatCal, there is no mistaken what the priorities are.

This is going to be good for Bay Area basketball. With the apparent complete demise and disappearance of USF, and declining fortunes at Santa Clara, we need some credible rivalries. Monty will bring Cal back. And in terms of his son, Cal may welcome his an assistant, but I doubt they will promise him a legacy. That might happen down on the farm, but not at Cal.

I find myself rooting for Monty now. Kind of a change for me. Sili

zagco
04-05-2008, 01:24 PM
It occurred to Zagco that it might be kinda funny if, when they play each other next year, Stanford invited a Marine Corp recruiter to sit on the bench with the players and coaches during the game. :D