PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tony Bennett to Marquette?

Thomas_Sutpen
04-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Seeing as he's a Wisco boy and all.

He's the flavor of the day at the MU rivals page:

http://marquette.rivals.com/

thickman1
04-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Milwaukee area is SOOOO not like Madison. Doubtful if you ask me. I'd guess he'll just bide his time at WSU and wait for Bo Ryan to hang 'em up or move on.

cbbfanatic
04-03-2008, 12:57 PM
wouldnt be a bad job for him. good hoops history, good fans and facilities, not outrageous expectations, inherit some SOLID seniors, join what is probably looking like the best conference in the near future as one of the great young up and coming coaches...

plus, marq pays. crean was pushing 2 mil

Section 116
04-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Marquette coaching HOT LIST according to Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=735103

McKillop is an interesting name. A run like Davidson's will certainly put a coaches name in the spotlight!

LoveMyZags
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
WHAT??? Did I read that list right? But Mark Few of Gonzaga wasn't on it.... he is usually on all the hot lists...odd....;) (sure glad he finally isn't on a list of this sort!)

thebigsmoove
04-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Mark few is definately on the shortlist for marquette, dont let some journalists lack of knowledge fool you. However, that being said, if mark few is going to jump ship it wouldnt be to a sub power school like marquette, Marquette is a step below the upper echelon of the college basketball universe as evidenced by Tom Crean leaving for a possible Probationary Indiana.

P.S. I dont think anything shy of Oregon with at least 3-5 million annually will ever entice Coach to leave the cushy position he has in Spokane.

CDC84
04-03-2008, 03:12 PM
The problem with Marquette (apparently) is recruiting. Crean is just about the best recruiter in the biz (he recruited most the guys that made up Tom Izzo's national title team), and even he couldn't get 5 star type players to go to there. It's further west than any Big East school, and it lies in the heart of Big 10 country. From what I've heard, despite some of the success they've had over the years, it's not an easy sell. You have to really work to get good players, and getting the elite ones is even tougher. But as previously mentioned, they will spend....they apparently have one of the 2-3 best practice facilities in all of division one.

cbbfanatic
04-03-2008, 08:13 PM
The problem with Marquette (apparently) is recruiting. Crean is just about the best recruiter in the biz (he recruited most the guys that made up Tom Izzo's national title team), and even he couldn't get 5 star type players to go to there. It's further west than any Big East school, and it lies in the heart of Big 10 country. From what I've heard, despite some of the success they've had over the years, it's not an easy sell. You have to really work to get good players, and getting the elite ones is even tougher. But as previously mentioned, they will spend....they apparently have one of the 2-3 best practice facilities in all of division one.

pretty consistent with what i heard. crean wants to be able to build a team that can win it all and has had a tough time selling marquette to that kind of player... indiana/big10 is a much bigger draw in those parts. (surprisingly, wainwright at depaul, which is also right in the heart of b10 country, has landed multiple 5 star kids since they joined the BE)

VinnyZag
04-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Or at least that's what WSU's president says. TB gets a raise, sticks around to coach Klay Thompson next year: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2008/apr/03/wsu-president-says-bennett-staying-in-pullman/