PDA

View Full Version : Will Sanity ever return to College Sports?

HillBillyZag
04-02-2008, 11:56 AM
There are 327 Schools competing in Div.1 College basketball. Only 65 of them will be good/lucky enough to make it to the opening round of the "Big Dance". In the spirit of todays instant gratification, and using the Tournament as a measuring stick, 262 Coaching jobs should be open at the end of each season. There was a time, in the not too distant past, that winning or being competitive for your Conference Crown on a seasonal basis, teaching your players how to improve their hoops skills, thrive in the College atmosphere,and hopefully graduate and be prepared to succeed in life were the earmarks of a successful Coach and a respected program. Being qualified to play in the Tournament and having some sucess in it was considered to be "icing on the cake". If a team produced a player with the skills to play at a professional level it made for headlines in the local media, credit to the Coach for developing his/her talent, and if the player left School before graduation,
there was a bit of disdain shown by the Alumni & fans. No longer, the individual players achievements are honored more than the teams, the ridicules sums of money offered to prospective stars dwarf the pay of most ordinary College grads, and team salaries have gotten so out of control that the ordinary fan can seldom afford the price of a ticket. When the President of the United States makes around $250,000.00 per year or so and guys with room temperature IQ's make mega millions there is something wrong. When the end of the game hand shake/greeting is just something that the winners merely go through the motions of, and there is no respect for the effort of a gallant foe, we have lost something. When wife beaters, sexual predators,cheaters and even murderers are extolled for their athletic prowness we are hurting. And when written & verbal contracts are repeatedly broken and there is no loyalty between player and Team or Coach and school or vice-versa, it diminishes us all. No one loves sports more than I, but the many changes in games and relationships have not been for the better.

TexasZagFan
04-03-2008, 04:47 AM
In short, I believe the answer to your question is "no".

The next coach at Oklahoma State University will get a $40 million/10 year contract.

The Red River Shootout, i.e. the Texas-Oklahoma game, will be moving to Jerryworld in 2010, and you can bet the ticket price will be in the range of $150 & up.

Davidson is now my #2 team in college hoops, because the trustees made the unprecedented gesture of sending their students to the games last weekend.

Bill Grier, after 16 years at Gonzaga, spends one year at USD, gets his contract "sweetened", and is now interviewing for the job at Oregon State. Having the WCC tournament in your home arena would make anyone a better coach.

Having said that, Bill's done a masterful job of playing the cards he's been dealt.

HillBillyZag
04-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Ever since Judas sold his soul for 30 pieces of silver it seems that greed is among the most prevalent sins.