PDA

View Full Version : OT-What do you think of this Hansbrough quote?

pbriz
04-02-2008, 10:19 AM
"I think everybody wants to make comparisons about stats and things," Hansbrough said. "To me, I thought he was definitely in a different situation than here. ... He definitely had a good year and has had a lot of accomplishments."

http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040108aab.html

While Beasley says:

"To be one of just two players in the country to receive such an honor is very humbling," said Beasley, who led Kansas State to its first NCAA bid since 1996. "I have never been about individual accomplishments, but about helping my team win games. I wish we were still playing, but I am happy with the success we had this season."

Perhaps I am reading too much into this, but it seems like Hansbrough is trying to say that UNC is a far better team so he deserves the honor more, even though Beasleys stats were a bit better. Beasley's comments were all class. Your thoughts?

HillBillyZag
04-02-2008, 10:57 AM
I don't think Hansbrough had any thought about comparing their situations. Everone has their opinion, but IMHO, Hansbrough, not as athletic as Beasley, has had to work a little harder, go the extra mile, and the Tarheels
have had the pressure of being a pre-season favorite for the final four to live up to. Hansbrough is a more pysically gifted verson of Pendo, with the size to take it a step further. Picture Pendo at 6'9", 250 lbs and it would be scary.

J-Lo
04-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Based on the quote displayed, I didn't see any plug for UNC. I thought Hansbrough's comments were fine, not inflammatory at all.

BroncoZAG615
04-02-2008, 11:07 AM
No real problem with the comments made by Hansbrough. I still believe he is not deserving of higher praise than Beasley. Beasley had worse talent around him, is a freshman and led his team to a very respectible year. Take Beasley off the team and all they have in terms of developed talent is Bill Walker. KSU would not be a blip on the radar. Take Hansbrough off UNC and they will have Thompson and Stevenson, not as skilled but still able to be a good front line. Not to mention Ellington, Lawson, Green etc.

Also, Hillbillyzag, I really see no correlation in skill set between Hansbrough and Pendo. Pendo is a 3 who is forced into the 4 spot. Tyler is a true big man. Pendo hits threes and Hansbrough can hit midrange shots but never looks comfortable doing so. If Pendo was 6'9" 250 they would be similar, but so would Pargo if he were 6'9 250. The only similarity of these two is there overall dedication to the program and the fire they bring to the game.

mgadfly
04-02-2008, 11:26 AM
For some reason I don't care for Hansborough, but I think his comment was basically that they shouldn't be compared.

Between the two, I would vote TH over MB because I prefer to reward upper classmen that stay in college hoops over freshmen. I guess I'm saying it is a close call, they both had impressive statistics (MB's better, but TH's team is still playing), and so a tie goes to the upperclassmen (in my opinion--that means nothing at all).

Vizagra
04-02-2008, 12:46 PM
I gathered that Hansborough meant that he has a lot moe weapons on his team and wasn't a one man show.

Chicken Ball
04-02-2008, 03:22 PM
The real POY: Kevin Love.

theothegreat21
04-02-2008, 03:58 PM
The real POY: Kevin Love.

While Kevin Love has been quite impressive, It would be a real stretch to call him POY. He came to a team that had been to 2 straight Final 4's, and has a backcourt in which both players will be lottery picks, and Josh Shipp is probably an NBA player as well. I actually thought Brook Lopez should have been the PAC 10 player of the year over Love, as he literally carried his team to the top 10 in the country

alaskazagnut
04-02-2008, 04:00 PM
they were in different situations. I'm very sure each thought they should be #1. So there is no reason to think that Tyler said anything to disrespect Beasley. In fact he was quite PC. What if he just came right out and said " I think I am better". Then the critics would really have their day.

CarolinaZagFan
04-02-2008, 08:21 PM
I didn't pay much attention to the quote, but even if he had said, "CarolinaZagFan is the coolest person on the planet", I still would disagree with what Hansbrough says, just based off of my pure hatred of Hansbrough and UNC. (Therefore you should disregard anything I say about UNC because it is totally biased.) Just look at my avator if you want to see my third favorite UNC memory of all time. Here's my list in case you were wondering:
1. GU beats UNC in MSG as Heytvelt dominates Hansbrough and Pargo schools Lawson.
2. The "Holier Than Thou" Tarholes going 8-20 a few years back.
3. Gerald Henderson drops bows on Hansbrough.

pbriz
04-03-2008, 11:42 AM
I didn't pay much attention to the quote, but even if he had said, "CarolinaZagFan is the coolest person on the planet", I still would disagree with what Hansbrough says, just based off of my pure hatred of Hansbrough and UNC. (Therefore you should disregard anything I say about UNC because it is totally biased.) Just look at my avator if you want to see my third favorite UNC memory of all time. Here's my list in case you were wondering:
1. GU beats UNC in MSG as Heytvelt dominates Hansbrough and Pargo schools Lawson.
2. The "Holier Than Thou" Tarholes going 8-20 a few years back.
3. Gerald Henderson drops bows on Hansbrough.

I actually love UNC, but just despise Hansbrough, and is why i probably read far too much into this. And to vent a little further, I HATE all of this "he's an upperclassmen, he plays for UNC" etc bull****. Hansbroughs stats should be off the charts because UNC is one of the highest scoring teams in the nation. There is no excuse to say that Beasley's stats look better in some way. Furthermore, Beasley can be constantly double-teamed because he is the best player on his club, yet teams playing UNC have to worry about Green, Lawson, Ellington, Thompson, etc.

Let the best player win the POY. Beasley is a more complete player who can perform against top-notch competition day in and day out. Hansbrough gets shut down against athletic centers. I would love to see a memphis-UNC finale where he has to go against Dorsey. Hansbrough better bring the music because Dorsey's throwing a block party.

HillBillyZag
04-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Frankly I don't know which I dis-respect the most? A bigot, or someone who goes around thumping their chest and saying "mea culpa".

GeorgiaZagFan
04-03-2008, 11:02 PM
First of all I believe that if you love college basketball you have to at least appreciate Tyler Hansbrough. He appears to be the epitome of what a college player should be. He's an excellent teammate and gives it everything he's got all the time. I hope he stays 1 more year.
Beasley on the other hand is a great talent but more than likely is one and done...and for that reason alone I would never endorse him as POY!!

krozman
04-04-2008, 06:41 AM
I bet players would give 100 bucks to never get the question in the first place. It's unfair to pit two student athletes against each other for a popularity contest like POY. The media loves a train wreck, and they all too often sacrifice good journalism for stories like this. I'm betting both players gave the best humble answer they could, like they have 109x this year, and walked away thinking "god, someone please kill the media!" Then there are overanalytical discussions over the BS answers they gave. New news cycle please!

I sound like i'm a media hater, but I really just hate media who try and create news instead of report it. Shrug.