PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Guard Listing Gonzaga

BobZag
04-02-2008, 08:41 AM
"I have offers from UNLV, Colorado State, Miami, Virginia, Gonzaga, Washington State and Washington," said Anthony Marshall. "My coach has been hearing some from Baylor also. Those are the main ones right now."

He's wide open at this point and will decide after summer.

LAZAGFAN11
04-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Wasn't Marshall supposed to take an official visit to see a game this past season? Did that ever happen?

BobZag
04-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Wasn't Marshall supposed to take an official visit to see a game this past season? Did that ever happen?

Never did.

Don't know why.

NorthWestZag
04-02-2008, 12:12 PM
According to scout we have already offered a few kids from the 2009 class.

Peyton Siva (Seattle, WA) Franklin HS
Anthony Marshall (Las Vegas, NV)
Marshall Henderson (Hurst, TX)

2009 NEEDS to be a big recruiting year for the Zags. We are losing 4 scholies to graduation, Daye might head to the NBA, plus who knows who else decides to transfer or go pro. We need to get at least 5 solid recruits in 09. Right now we have Brock but he might trade the hardwood for the pigskin.

Also why are we not going after DeAngelo Casto from Ferris? Everyone talks about how we need a JC big, we got the WA player of the year in our own backyard. 6-8 240 and we are letting the Cougs take him. If Jeff Taylor goes to Texas (which I think we will) we should offer Casto, no question.

Nevtelen
04-02-2008, 12:15 PM
According to scout we have already offered a few kids from the 2009 class.

Peyton Siva (Seattle, WA) Franklin HS
Anthony Marshall (Las Vegas, NV)
Marshall Henderson (Hurst, TX)

2009 NEEDS to be a big recruiting year for the Zags. We are losing 4 scholies to graduation, Daye might head to the NBA, plus who knows who else decides to transfer or go pro. We need to get at least 5 solid recruits in 09. Right now we have Brock but he might trade the hardwood for the pigskin.

Also why are we not going after DeAngelo Casto from Ferris? Everyone talks about how we need a JC big, we got the WA player of the year in our own backyard. 6-8 240 and we are letting the Cougs take him. If Jeff Taylor goes to Texas (which I think we will) we should offer Casto, no question.

You should check out all the Casto threads around here. There are pretty clearly decent reasons GU isn't after him.

Do agree that 09 is a big big year for recruiting. Hopefully Brock stays with bball and we get a solid big man or 2 to go with a great guard/wing.

theothegreat21
04-02-2008, 01:21 PM
I think of all the guard options we are looking at in 09 (Anthony Marshall, Marshall Henderson, and Jeff Reid) that Marshall is the best one out there. I remember reading in a Rivals article earlier this season that he was average nearly a triple double and he is very well known for his defense. I think this is the kind of player we should be looking at and he would be a perfect back up and change of pace from Steven in his junior and senior seasons. I really hope we can somehow get this kid in a GU uniform

theothegreat21
04-02-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/12924137.html

Heres an article about Marshall from his junior season. Mentions his scoring and defensive abilities

gozagswoohoo
04-02-2008, 01:28 PM
"I have offers from UNLV, Colorado State, Miami, Virginia, Gonzaga, Washington State and Washington," said Anthony Marshall. "My coach has been hearing some from Baylor also. Those are the main ones right now."

Smalls McGee?

ZagNative
04-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Wasn't Marshall supposed to take an official visit to see a game this past season? Did that ever happen?It would have to be an unofficial visit. He won't be eligible for an official visit until the start of his senior year. He's still a junior.

theothegreat21
04-02-2008, 01:37 PM

Bob, I was curious if you have any idea if he will be taking a visit here anytime soon? Also do you have any idea if its first to sign between Henderson, Marshall, and Reid, or does the staff have a clear preference for one of them?

gozagswoohoo
It would have to be an unofficial visit. He won't be eligible for an official visit until the start of his senior year. He's still a junior.

Officially...

ZagNative
Smalls McGee?;) You haven't been around nearly enough lately, woohoo.

gozagswoohoo
04-02-2008, 01:38 PM
;) You haven't been around nearly enough lately, woohoo.

It's depressing how much I have been "lurking" the last few weeks...but its been pretty busy at work lately, so all I have time for is reading a few threads here and there.

BroncoZAG615
04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Bob, I was curious if you have any idea if he will be taking a visit here anytime soon? Also do you have any idea if its first to sign between Henderson, Marshall, and Reid, or does the staff have a clear preference for one of them?

It seems that it will come down to the two Marshall's as of right now. By all indications we have yet to offer Jeff Reid any scholarship even though he visited. It seems that if he visited and we didn't offer than we must have cooled on him or vice versa.

Anthony Marshall does seem like an extremely talented player and the type of guard we would need in the future to complement our stable of guards once graduation hits.

Here is a snippet from the Rivals article previously mentioned for the non-subscribers. All good news for us concerning location, coach, and his overall skill set. Hope to see him here.

"Location is not important to me," he said. "Playing time is important. I don't have to start, but I want to contribute and play some significant minutes. I also want to play for a great coach."

Averaging 19 points, nine rebounds and eight assists for his 24-1 squad, Marshall is pleased with the development of his game.

"I'm playing unselfish ball and getting my teammates involved," he said. "I'm playing good defense, leading the team and improving in all areas. I want to develop into an all around combo guard who can do whatever he is called upon to do for his team."

BobZag
04-02-2008, 02:11 PM

Coaches aren't allowed to talk about recruits. I can always offer what I think they'll do. Firstly, Gonzaga is one of Henderson's dream schools, ever since he was in grade school. Something tells me he'll be a Zag. And after watching Curry light things up, I'm all for a shooter like Henderson. Marshall has his strengths (defense) and Reid has his (size). Yes, sometimes it's first-to-sign but something tells me Henderson will be the guy. Unless the staff backs off for some unknown reason, I think Henderson will commit before summer is over.

ZagNative
04-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Here's some stuff from ESPN's Recruit Tracker about him (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=52035&season=2009). It's an Insider story, but here's the gist of it:

Scout, Inc. Ranking Cited on ESPN Recruit Tracker: 83

Here's an explanation of a #83 Scout, Inc., Ranking:
Scouts Inc. High School Grading System
80-89: Outstanding Prospect

Player has the ability to create mismatches against most opponents and could contribute as a true freshman.

ESPN recruit Tracker overall rank on Top 100 (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espn100?season=2009&display=all&set=0): 76

Since it's an Insider story, I don't want to break the rules by quoting too much from their glowing evaluation except to throw out some buzz words:

Lefty
impressive frame with long arms
Possible 2-guard
Outstanding student
Great competitor
Tremendous passer
Great decisions
Highly unselfish
Outstanding hands
Special athlete
Despite his size, he's a terrific rebounder
Unbelievable shot blocker
Perimeter defense is peerless
Extremely quick feet and hands
Area for improvement - jump shot
Wow. Pretty good for a wee 6'2" guy.

Edited to add: Rivals says he's 6'3", and of course he's got a year left of high school to grow.

cjm720
04-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Here's some stuff from ESPN's Recruit Tracker about him (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=52035&season=2009). It's an Insider story, but here's the gist of it:

Scout, Inc. Ranking Cited on ESPN Recruit Tracker: 83

Here's an explanation of a #83 Scout, Inc., Ranking:

ESPN recruit Tracker overall rank on Top 100 (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espn100?season=2009&display=all&set=0): 76

Since it's an Insider story, I don't want to break the rules by quoting too much from their glowing evaluation except to throw out some buzz words:

Lefty
impressive frame with long arms
Possible 2-guard
Outstanding student
Great competitor
Tremendous passer
Great decisions
Highly unselfish
Outstanding hands
Special athlete
Despite his size, he's a terrific rebounder
Unbelievable shot blocker
Perimeter defense is peerless
Extremely quick feet and hands
Area for improvement - jump shot
Wow. Pretty good for a wee 6'2" guy.

Here's more...they didn't ask for a password. Thanks ZN.

Evaluation
Marshall is a solid, and quite possibly strong, two-guard prospect for the division one level. This lefty has an impressive frame with long arms and extremely broad shoulders. He's an outstanding student and his performance (great competitor) on the court exemplifies that as well. He makes great decisions (highly unselfish) in the open court and is a tremendous passer. His handle is quite solid in the open court due to his outstanding hands. Marshall is also a special athlete. Despite his size he's a terrific rebounder and oddly enough an unbelievable shot blocker. His perimeter defense is peerless as he utilizes his extremely quick feet and hands very well. The one area that needs some polishing is his jump shot - gets great lift but he drifts and it's a bit stiff on its release. With continued development in all areas of his game, most notably his jump shot, Marshall will be one of the better perimeter prospects out west by the time he's a senior.

Notes
Kentucky, USC, UCLA, Texas, Kansas, Kansas State, Washington, Virginia and Notre Dame are also interested...

ZagNative
04-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Cool that they didn't ask for a password. I really like that recruiting site.

Marshall got an Honorable Mention on a March 14 story by Joel Francisco of Scout, Inc (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/columns/story?columnist=francisco_joel&id=3276287)., on ESPN's bball recruiting site. It's only got that teeny mention of him, but it's an interesting read anyway. Obviously, Jeff Taylor is our secret (and Texas' and Vandy's, and several others), because he didn't get a mention.

rennis
04-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Here's more...they didn't ask for a password. Thanks ZN.

Evaluation
Marshall is a solid, and quite possibly strong, two-guard prospect for the division one level. This lefty has an impressive frame with long arms and extremely broad shoulders. He's an outstanding student and his performance (great competitor) on the court exemplifies that as well. He makes great decisions (highly unselfish) in the open court and is a tremendous passer. His handle is quite solid in the open court due to his outstanding hands. Marshall is also a special athlete. Despite his size he's a terrific rebounder and oddly enough an unbelievable shot blocker. His perimeter defense is peerless as he utilizes his extremely quick feet and hands very well. The one area that needs some polishing is his jump shot - gets great lift but he drifts and it's a bit stiff on its release. With continued development in all areas of his game, most notably his jump shot, Marshall will be one of the better perimeter prospects out west by the time he's a senior.

Notes
Kentucky, USC, UCLA, Texas, Kansas, Kansas State, Washington, Virginia and Notre Dame are also interested...

do the puyallup!

spudzag
04-02-2008, 06:08 PM
.... Gonzaga is one of Henderson's dream schools, ever since he was in grade school. Something tells me he'll be a Zag. And after watching Curry light things up, I'm all for a shooter like Henderson. Marshall has his strengths (defense) and Reid has his (size). Yes, sometimes it's first-to-sign but something tells me Henderson will be the guy. Unless the staff backs off for some unknown reason, I think Henderson will commit before summer is over.

I'll second that. I think Henderson is the one guard we could really use and I love the fact that he REALLY want to be a ZAG!

We have lots of needs, but will still have a full contingent of guards; Bouldin, Gray, Goodson and Gibbs. Another sharpshooting guard would be great.

Plus I think he is the most likely to commit.

BobZag
04-03-2008, 09:44 AM
I'll second that. I think Henderson is the one guard we could really use and I love the fact that he REALLY want to be a ZAG!

We have lots of needs, but will still have a full contingent of guards; Bouldin, Gray, Goodson and Gibbs. Another sharpshooting guard would be great.

Plus I think he is the most likely to commit.

That said, spudster, I doubt either of us would quawk if Anthony became a Zag. :) Heck, the way recruiting goes, a kid we never suspected might pop up and be the guy. You never know.

pbriz
04-03-2008, 11:27 AM
That said, spudster, I doubt either of us would quawk if Anthony became a Zag. :) Heck, the way recruiting goes, a kid we never suspected might pop up and be the guy. You never know.

Like perhaps Abdul Gaddy Bob?

(and yes I know he has verballed to Arizona)

thebigsmoove
04-03-2008, 11:50 AM
sounds like a great get

MickMick
04-03-2008, 11:55 AM
The report said great handles. Thats all I need to know about Marshall. Zags desperately need some of that. Last thing they need is another project to teach fundamental ball handling to.

dim4sum
04-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Dreadful grades. A dreadful shot, considering that the shots have been almost all around the rim. Then, again, a powerful rebounder and shot blocker, ala Dennis Rodman. But who wants Dennis Rodman-like problems.