PDA

View Full Version : Dallas News story about Texas Recruiting Needs - JT Mention

ZagNative
03-31-2008, 09:30 PM
This story (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/040108dnspouthoopswrap.359230d.html) gave me some hope Jeff Taylor would meet our needs more than Texas' needs. What do you think?

With season behind them, Texas men looking forward

Finding reliable inside presence could put UT on top next season

10:46 PM CDT on Monday, March 31, 2008

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News
chipbrown@dallasnews.com

AUSTIN – Memphis made it easy for Texas coach Rick Barnes and his players to realize what the Longhorns need next season to improve on this season's Elite Eight finish: an inside presence.

And maybe a new point guard.

Until D.J. Augustin decides if he's skipping his final two years of eligibility for the NBA, Texas won't know if it will be moving Justin Mason or A.J. Abrams to the point next season.

Most mock drafts have Augustin, who was named first-team All-America by The Associated Press on Monday, going in the mid- to late first round

ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas said Augustin should return to Texas.

"I think D.J. needs to work on his defense," Bilas said Monday. "I think he could really benefit from another year in college because he'll improve his own game and probably improve his draft stock."
Recruiting

Texas has an oral commitment from 6-2 combo guard J'Covan Brown of Port Arthur, the 42nd ranked prospect on Rivals.com's national top 150.

UT is also battling Memphis and others for a couple top recruits – 6-5 point guard Tyreke Evans of Aston (Pa.) American Christian and 6-8 wing Devin Ebanks of Oakdale (Conn.) St. Thomas More.

Rivals ranks Evans as the nation's No. 6 prospect, and Ebanks is ranked No. 13.

Texas is also recruiting Jeff Taylor, a 6-7 small forward from Hobbs, N.M. Those players are expected to announce their decisions this month.

Bottom line

Texas players believe next season could be special. Do you suppose all these late signers will wait until at least the championship game to announce their verbals, or just skip the verbals and wait for Letter of Intent day April 16? They have to have nerves of steel, because they're sure testing mine.

ZagNative
04-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Looks like Vandy just had some space open up, per this nashvillepaper.com (http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=59342) story:
Bell leaving Vandy basketball squad
By Brett Hait, bhait@nashvillecitypaper.com

Citing philosophical differences with Coach Kevin Stallings, guard Keegan Bell said he plans to leave the Vanderbilt basketball team after the spring semester and transfer to another school.

As a freshman, Bell played in every game as a backup point guard during the 2007-08 season and averaged 13.5 minutes, 2.7 points and 2.8 assists per game.

“Coach and I just didn’t see eye to eye on certain things,” Bell said. “Sometimes players just don’t fit into certain strategies. I just didn’t feel this was the right place for me.

“It’s nothing against the coaches, the players or the university. For me to be the player I need to be, I needed to be somewhere else.”
Bell’s departure means Vanderbilt will enter the 2008-09 season with junior-to-be Jermaine Beal as the only true point guard on the roster among scholarship players.

In addition, the Commodores losing departing senior Alex Gordon, who started all season at shooting guard.

Stallings said the situation might not be as dire as it seems.

“That depends on what happens recruiting-wise,” he said. “We’ll just continue to recruit the people we’re recruiting. This doesn’t change anything we’re doing.”

Among Vanderbilt’s top recruiting targets is 6-foot-3 guard Brad Tinsley of Oregon City, Ore., who is scheduled make an official visit to the VU campus in April.

Jeff Taylor, a 6-foot-7 swingman from Hobbs, N.M., has already visited Vanderbilt and is also considering Texas and Gonzaga.

Tinsley and Taylor will sign with their colleges of choice during the April signing period.

BobZag
04-01-2008, 09:49 AM
It'll be interesting. Thanks for keeping us in the know on this.