PDA

View Full Version : The Next Two SubRegional Locations

BobZag
03-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Next March (2009) we Zag fans will be looking to Portland's Rose Garden as the place we want our team to play their first two rounds. That means, play good enough in and out of conference to earn a 4 seed or better. And that likely means winning the WCC with a 13-1 record (no worse than 12-2, for sure), winning the WCC Tournament, plus winning at least 85% of the ooc schedule, including defeating the likes of Memphis, Tennessee, Duke, UConn, WSU, Old Spice Classic entrants, etc.

And the year after, two Marchs from now, the subregional will be in...you guessed it...Spokane. Needless to say, everything stated above applies to 2010 if the Zags hope to stay in town to play their first two rounds. Zags will open in Maui, a perfect opportunity to start building a top 4 seed resume.

The goals the next two years are obvious.

ebayzagfan
03-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the info on the upcoming sub-regional locations.

I'm sure somebody knows this, but I don't think the Zags could play in a sub-regional located in Spokane. Committee rules and all.

(Now, we could play in a place like Yakima if we were a 10 seed. I'm pretty sure of that! It's more than 159 miles away from K-2.) (This is an example of dripping sarcasm.)

Portland would be a great site for us fans. For one, it would mean that we would have had a fantastic season in order to get seeded so close to home.

gueastcoast
03-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks for thinking ahead...I like it!

The best is yet to come.

BroncoZAG615
03-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Next March (2009) we Zag fans will be looking to Portland's Rose Garden as the place we want our team to play their first two rounds. That means, play good enough in and out of conference to earn a 4 seed or better. And that likely means winning the WCC with a 13-1 record (no worse than 12-2, for sure), winning the WCC Tournament, plus winning at least 85% of the ooc schedule, including defeating the likes of Memphis, Tennessee, Duke, UConn, WSU, Old Spice Classic entrants, etc.

And the year after, two Marchs from now, the subregional will be in...you guessed it...Spokane. Needless to say, everything stated above applies to 2010 if the Zags hope to stay in town to play their first two rounds. Zags will open in Maui, a perfect opportunity to start building a top 4 seed resume.

Is Duke for sure next year?

theothegreat21
03-29-2008, 06:10 PM

I was unaware that a game against Duke had been finalized. Do you have any info for when or where the game will be played. Obviously earning that protected top 4 seed is very important for tournament success, and I feel like the Zag fans will show up in high numbers.

I believe we would be able to play in Spokane because we are not the host school, WSU is, and I think the NCAA only prohibits against the host school playing at their place in the first 2 rounds

75Zag
03-29-2008, 06:12 PM
First and Second Rounds: Friday and Sunday, March 20 and 22, 2009
Taco Bell Arena
Boise, Idaho
Host: Boise State University

NorthoftheBorder
03-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Gonzaga would be allowed to play at the Spokane Arena as long as they aren't hosting it and haven't played more than 3 games there during the season.

That's why Gonzaga cancelled the game against EWU last season because they already had the two preseason NIT games and the Memphis game scheduled for the Arena.

Zagdawg
03-30-2008, 08:03 AM
I would expect Wash State to host once again and we should be able to play the rounds here in 2010.

BobZag
03-30-2008, 08:46 AM
The Duke-Zag game would take place in Portland's Rose Garden, but it's not a done deal. It's still in the works and may or may not happen. My point is, the Zags must have great ooc success to help secure a protected top-4 seed. :)

Boise isn't that much further away but it's a bit easier to get to Portland, plus Seattle is nearby, and lots of Zag fans live there.

BongKrosby
03-30-2008, 01:36 PM
If you think of the other possible protected West seeds next year (UCLA, Arizona, Stanford, UW (I crack myself up)), they are more likely to get Portland then Boise b/c Portland is a Pac-10 city (OSU/UO).

I'll take Boise.

BobZag
03-30-2008, 01:47 PM
If you think of the other possible protected West seeds next year (UCLA, Arizona, Stanford, UW (I crack myself up)), they are more likely to get Portland then Boise b/c Portland is a Pac-10 city (OSU/UO).

I'll take Boise.

Boise would be fine. Actually, with the great tourist destination in the town of Mountain Home just 40 miles east, Boise would be great. :D

UW. lol, yeah.

sittingon50
03-30-2008, 03:47 PM
but don't be dissin' ewe dub! Didn't you see/hear the national pub they got during the Memphis game, whilst talking about FT shooting?

Rangerzag
03-30-2008, 06:29 PM
The Duke-Zag game would take place in Portland's Rose Garden, but it's not a done deal. It's still in the works and may or may not happen. My point is, the Zags must have great ooc success to help secure a protected top-4 seed. :)

Boise isn't that much further away but it's a bit easier to get to Portland, plus Seattle is nearby, and lots of Zag fans live there.

But would the "Brain Trust" making the selections perceive that Boise would be better for the Zags, even if we all (or maybe mostly) know better??

Pleasant Peninsula
03-31-2008, 08:39 AM
But would the "Brain Trust" making the selections perceive that Boise would be better for the Zags, even if we all (or maybe mostly) know better??

I don't see where one would necessarily be better than the other. It might be better or worse for some of us fans, but if Gonzaga can land a spot in either of those locations, it would be great for them and for us.

kitzbuel
03-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Wikipedia says the WSU is the 2010 subregional host:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

kitzbuel
03-31-2008, 10:17 AM
I was unaware that a game against Duke had been finalized. Do you have any info for when or where the game will be played. Obviously earning that protected top 4 seed is very important for tournament success, and I feel like the Zag fans will show up in high numbers.

I believe we would be able to play in Spokane because we are not the host school, WSU is, and I think the NCAA only prohibits against the host school playing at their place in the first 2 rounds
I would not mind seeing Gonzaga going to SLC for the West Regional, either. F1Dog would be ecstatic with that!

Section 116
03-31-2008, 03:33 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/basketball-mens/default.aspx?id=9920

75Zag
03-31-2008, 03:57 PM
I live 8 minutes north of the Portland Rose Garden and would love to see the Bulldogs play there any time and for any reason, whether against Duke this fall or against the NCAA next spring. Boise would not be that bad of a trip either, but I will root for GU to play in PDX.

I think the Portland 2009 NCAA tickets will go on sale in a few weeks. If you want to save money and avoid Stub Hub's markup, watch the NCAA web site for the "on sale" announcement.

SDUQ
03-31-2008, 04:34 PM
They were actually supposed to go on sale last Moday, but the NCAA seems to be having a snafu with their website/ticketing. They have released a statement saying they are working on it and you can enter the ticket lottery until the beginning of May. Here's the link. I check it pretty much every day. I will try and post when the website is up and running.

http://www.ncaa.com/championshiphub/default.aspx?id=9920

75Zag
03-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Is there a "lottery" for sub-regional tickets? I did not know that. I thought you could just buy them when the NCAA problem is fixed. Maybe I am wrong. We have sky box rights to the Rose Garden and they sent something out about availability in a couple of weeks.

SDUQ
03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
From the NCAA statement "The site is experiencing some difficulties now, but we’re currently working through the issues. Please continue to have people go to the site. The window for applications is open until May 1 so people still have time to submit their order." It appears it is a lottery. However, if they don't have enough applications by May 1 then I guess everyone wins!

Especially the NCAA because they get all that money ahead of time and if there are more applications than tickets available, it appears that they would earn interest on that money until they refund it.

75Zag
03-31-2008, 05:24 PM
SDUQ would you please PM me with instructions on how to enter my name into the lottery for subregional tix for 09? I tried the link and can't find anyplace to "enter?. Thanks.

Rangerzag
03-31-2008, 05:51 PM
"Ticket requests will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis unless demand warrants the need for a random selection process."

http://www.portlandhoops09.com/