Will next years team be similar to Kansas this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theothegreat21
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

Will next years team be similar to Kansas this year?

I found this article quite interesting and made me think about what GU could be like next year. Many people on the boards have expressed some dismay at GU not have one player who consistently puts in 20 pts a game. Well this year neither does Kansas, and instead they just have many weapons who each can get the big basket any game.

I feel like next years GU team can be very similar with anyone from Daye, Pargo, Gray, Heytvelt, Bouldin, and even Downs being capable of taking the game over. This article also mentions how this recent run of KU success came the year after the class of Chalmers, Rush, and Wright. I feel like this may be true with the success of GU with the class of Daye, Gray, and Sacre. That group from KU also lost in the first round to Bradley. We all had such high expectations with that group, and Im so confident that this summer and the second year in the system will take this team to the next level. I just found lots of similarities between the two teams
    ONIONS!!!!!!

http://thekennelreport.blogspot.com/
  • ebayzagfan
    Kennel Club Material
    • Jan 2008

Hope you are right. The talent level is certainly there. I thought it was there this year also. Few will have his hands full again in figuring out playing time and rotations. I think his experiences this past season can only help in how he "manages his resources" next year. Sacre' needs to make a big leap, in my opinion, to shore up our low post needs. Yes, he improved over the course of his freshman year. I suspect he will continue on that curve and be a bigger contributor as a sophomore.

You can't predict injuries or how well other WCC teams recruit or bring in transfers. I think the WCC will be even tougher next year, given the talent that the Toreros and Gaels are bringing back. Coaches Grier and Bennett are closing the gap on the Zags program.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by theothegreat21 View Post
      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....kansas/1.html

I found this article quite interesting and made me think about what GU could be like next year. Many people on the boards have expressed some dismay at GU not have one player who consistently puts in 20 pts a game. Well this year neither does Kansas, and instead they just have many weapons who each can get the big basket any game.

I feel like next years GU team can be very similar with anyone from Daye, Pargo, Gray, Heytvelt, Bouldin, and even Downs being capable of taking the game over. This article also mentions how this recent run of KU success came the year after the class of Chalmers, Rush, and Wright. I feel like this may be true with the success of GU with the class of Daye, Gray, and Sacre. That group from KU also lost in the first round to Bradley. We all had such high expectations with that group, and Im so confident that this summer and the second year in the system will take this team to the next level. I just found lots of similarities between the two teams

Could be true, but I believe Wright, Rush, and Chalmers already had two years under their belt and would have all been juniors this year. Correct? If that be the case, I believe Kansas has more experience this year then would Daye, Gray and Sacre next year. Also KU has better Big men that will Gonzaga Next Year. Arthur, KAhn, and Jackson are all legitimate Pro Players inside. They are all extremely athletic and play both offense and defense. Heytfelt, Sacre and maybe Foster will not compare to these three.
      Finally, KU this year will push it down a teams throat consistently for forty minutes. To achieve similar Kansas success next year, Gonzaga's speed and tempo needs to increase for a full 40 minute stretch.

Comment

• BobZag
        Dark Lord of the Zag
        • Jan 2007

I expect this thread to mutate into a pile fairly soon.

The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• ebayzagfan
          Kennel Club Material
          • Jan 2008

Rated R for ... Yucky

Squat-squat-squat. AHHHHHH .... there's your pile.

Comment

• theothegreat21
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
            Could be true, but I believe Wright, Rush, and Chalmers already had two years under their belt and would have all been juniors this year. Correct? If that be the case, I believe Kansas has more experience this year then would Daye, Gray and Sacre next year. Also KU has better Big men that will Gonzaga Next Year. Arthur, KAhn, and Jackson are all legitimate Pro Players inside. They are all extremely athletic and play both offense and defense. Heytfelt, Sacre and maybe Foster will not compare to these three.
            Finally, KU this year will push it down a teams throat consistently for forty minutes. To achieve similar Kansas success next year, Gonzaga's speed and tempo needs to increase for a full 40 minute stretch.
            They would be juniors this year, but last year they made a strong elite 8 run and were a 1 or 2 seed in the tournament. In terms of more experience, I think having Bouldin, Downs, Pargo, and Heytvelt provides the team with as much experience as the likes of Kahn and Robinson for KU. I agree with you about the bigs, but I really think Arthur is the only true high level pro prospect of the group, and he has been under-achieving throughout the season.

Like you mentioned, KU is much better and consistently running and putting on pressure, but I feel like with the depth and talent that GU will have next year, hopefully they can play a similar style to these successful Kansas teams
            ONIONS!!!!!!

http://thekennelreport.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X