PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Curry & Davidson

2wiceright
03-29-2008, 10:21 AM
It's now quite obvious Curry will be a pro player in the near future (next year, the year after- who knows?). But what pro player does Stephen Curry most remind you of and why?

Also, has Davidson gone as far as their going to go? Where do you predict they will finish??

MDABE80
03-29-2008, 10:44 AM
First of all...I'm not sure anyone is glued to "Curry Adoration Day". He's a young college player who shoots well. And it's not so "obvious" he'll even make it to the Pro's even though it looks like his stock is elevated. Davidson is a nice team. Has done well. We have congratulated them on their success.
Onions!!!!!

finechina2003
03-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Great questions 2wiceright. I have recently had this same discussion and I am hard pressed to think of what NBA player he reminds me of. He has such a unique ability to use screens, square up quickly, take a shot quickly with very little space, and then release a feather soft jumper. As far as your second question goes, I think Davidson's glass slipper will break against Kansas. Kansas just has too much talent. But then again ... when it comes to March Madness, you never know.

BroncoZAG615
03-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Seems this is slowly turning into a Davidson/Curry board :(.

Curry= J.J. Redick. If J.J. couldn't make the transition to the pros then I can't see Curry doing it. J.J. is an end of the bencher for Orlando.

Zagpower
03-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Reggie Miller

MickMick
03-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Curry will get his shot....just like Morrison and Redick got their shot. Getting your foot in the door is part of the battle. The question is..."Can he slam the door open?"

I think he can.

jim77
03-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Curry is a master at using screens..kudos to him. We could learn alot from Davidson in that department. If you give him an opening he will kill you. He reminds me of our own AMMO..except Ammo could also take you inside and Ammo took way more physical abuse. Neither play defense. He'll sign an NBA contract and get millions.

rennis
03-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Stephen Curry reminds me of someone, but I can't put my finger on it...
oh wait, I got it:

DEL CURRY

BobZag
03-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Difficult to compare.

I see some Steve Nash in Curry (nifty). He appears to be a better version of Dan Dickau, and it pains me to say that but it appears to be true. Maybe some Avery Johnson in his game. Sorry, I just can't think of any better comparisons. I'm sure there are, though.

FuManShoes
03-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I've seen the Rip Hamilton comparison and think it works, except Curry may be better from long range. (Is Rip really 6'7"???) At any rate, both guys seem small, relentless, great off the ball, high b-ball IQ, and need only a split second to get their shot off. Curry has been impressive with his ability to hit mid-range shots and finish at the rim. He's far more than a Kyle Korver type spot up shooter, which I think means he will make an impact at the next level despite his small size. .... Oh yeah, some have compared him to Janero Pargo, but Curry seems like a better pure shooter. Don't get me wrong, I don't know that Curry can be a star at the next level, but he could be a valuable role player. For God's sake, Travis Diener is in the League. ...

P.S. - the bitterness in some of these posts is pretty sad. Curry is putting on a show like few in NCAA Tourney have before. It seems GU fans should be big enough to recognize and applaud it, even if our team was one of his victims. It's obvious Curry and Davidson are no fluke and fans of a small school like GU should be able to appreciate players/teams that make the most of their talent and play as intelligently as Davidson. So quit yer gripin'!

brian_sun
03-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Abe: Curry just a young player who shoots well? Well, the guy just put up the 2nd most amazing 3 game offensive assault in NCAA history. Why the slight on Curry? He's the face of the tournament now, he's the single biggest star that's left in the Elite 8, considering you still have Hansbrough, Love, Rose and D.J. Augustine still in the tourney.

As far as how his skills will translate to the pros?

1. He's going to get drafted by someone, don't worry about that.
2. He shouldn't declare this year. The kid is still growing: he grew 2 inches from his freshman year to his sophmore year. He can still grow in turns of height, and he can definitely grow his frame. He's already put up 20 pounds since he went to Davidson. If he can get to 6'4" and 200lbs, he's definitely a better pro prospect than Redick, because he's more athletic, has a quicker release.
3. To those of you who critize his defense, you are watching a different game than me. He averages 2.1 steals this year, and in the tourney, he's stepped up his defense: he's averaging 4 steals in 3 tourney game. I see a guy who hand checks well, anticipates the passing lane well and is very smart. He's not physical enough to guard a Chauncy Billips or a Deron Williams in the next level yet. But as he grows into his frame, he's going to be a better man-to-man defender, much better than Redick.

No, he's not going to be a top 3 pick like Morrison, because he doesn't have Morrison's size. But he's going to be a higher pick than Redick, who's a mid first rounder, when he comes out next year.

brian_sun
03-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Also, has Davidson gone as far as their going to go? Where do you predict they will finish??

With my adoration for Curry aside, I think Davidson has gone as far as they can. Don't get me wrong, Michael Flowers is one of the best lock-down one on one defender is college basketball, but he's also only 6'2". Kansas can rotate 3 guys: Chalmers, Robinson and Rush on him. I would put Rush on him primary, because Rush is 6'6". Curry is going to need more space to shoot over Rush than vs. Flowers. With a 3 man defensive rotation, they will not tired out and let Curry go off in the 2nd half, which he did in all 3 tourney games. Kansas definitely has the edge inside, with Arthur, Jackson and Kaun. Curry probably will get his 25, but he's going to need 25 shots to get it. But Richards is going to put up the 13-0 assist to TO ratio against KU like he did against Wisconsin.

I see Kansas winning this game pretty easily. This is a pretty bad match-up for Davidson.

rawkmandale
03-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Curry shrugs off the glory in Davidson's Elite run
By Kyle Whelliston
Special to ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: March 29, 2008
Comment
Email
Print
DETROIT -- "I can do all things."

If you write that in black ink on your red Nike sneakers and step out onto the floor at the NCAA tournament, you'd better be able to back up words like that.

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
-- Philippians 4:13, Bible verse on Curry's shoes
And so far, Stephen Curry has done just that. Davidson's sophomore guard is the unquestioned star of March Madness 2008, leading the Cinderella Wildcats out of a No. 10 seed to within a win of the Final Four with a trip of stirring upset victories over Gonzaga, Georgetown and Wisconsin. He has put up gigantic numbers in the process, averaging a tournament-leading 34.3 points per game on 50.8 percent shooting. In the second half of Friday night's Sweet 16 contest against the Badgers, he personally outscored the Big Ten champions, 22-20.

But for a player who's been putting up stats like a one-man team, Curry has been exhibiting the kind of perfect humility that's perfectly at odds with his shoe statement.

"It's nothing special that I do," remarked a shrugging Curry on Saturday, a practice day before the Wildcats' Elite Eight matchup with Kansas. "I just get screens from Andrew [Lovedale] and Thomas [Sander] and other big guys down low. When I'm open, I get the ball, and I have a lot of confidence to shoot it. Nothing special that I'm doing."

The NCAA's twin tomes of history and records strongly disagree. Curry's 19 3s so far in the postseason have brought him up to 158 for the year, pulling him into a tie for the 21-year-old Division I record for triples in a single season with Butler's Darrin Fitzgerald. No player has had a higher tourney scoring average in nearly as long, not since Bo Kimble scored 35.8 in Loyola Marymount's 1990 Elite Eight run.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Michael Conroy

It would be easy for Stephen Curry to get caught up in the hoopla around his stellar tournament. But he's been quick to deflect all the glory.

"It's easy to give a lot of glory to yourself when you have a lot of success," Curry said. "And I could get into the mind-set that everything I'm doing is because of me. But I just can't think like that."

Davidson coach Bob McKillop saw a glimmer of that unselfishness when he first encountered Curry as a scrawny, 5-foot-7, 120-pound prep schooler. McKillop noted that Curry bore adversity then with the same level-headedness as the sophomore -- currently listed at 6-3 and 185 pounds -- has handled his current success.

"He had about nine or 11 turnovers in the first game I saw," McKillop said. "But I watched the way he responded to the turnovers. He didn't try to come down the court and take a crazy shot hoping it would go in and that people would forget the turnover. He went to the bench and never hung his head. He patted his teammates on the back. I saw a lot of the ingredients there that you see today. He's a great talent, but also a great young man."

He's also the young man who most basketball fans would now pick to shoot a 3 if their lives depended on one heave. Curry has been in "the zone" that many shooters talk about for the past few weeks.

"I don't really hear much," he said, describing the feeling of being in that zone. "No matter how many people are in the stands, it's the same exact feeling as if I was in the gym by myself. I just get into a groove that's just my own, you know? That's what it's like."

[+] EnlargeGregory Shamus/Getty Images

Stephen Curry has scored 103 points in three upset wins in this year's NCAA tournament.

But as for the writing on his shoes, it's certainly not the product of a me-first mentality or an overblown ego lurking beneath a shell of false modesty. There just wasn't enough room on the sole to finish the quote.

"Oh, that," Curry said. "It's Philippians 4:13. 'I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.' It's always been one of my favorite Bible verses. I realize that what I do on the floor isn't a measure of my own strength. Having that there keeps me focused on the game, a constant reminder of who I'm playing for."

And as the modest star's accomplishments grow, so too does his status as a basketball-playing role model. If Friday night's enormous crowd at Ford Field was any indication, there are already young children out there who aspire to be the next Steph Curry, kids who already own his No. 30 jersey.

"Don't play for anybody other than your family, or God, or whatever you believe in," Curry said when asked if he had any advice to offer. "It's easy to get caught up in playing for the crowd, trying to play a game you're not capable of. I found myself doing that a little bit in high school and early in my college career. I try harder not to do things that are over my head, not do anything too special. I'm more of a blue-collar guy."

But then the NCAA's brightest shooting star broke out into the grin that's been lighting up TV screens for the past two weeks.

"Well, I try to be."

Kyle Whelliston is the national mid-major reporter for Basketball Times and a regular contributor to ESPN.com.

VanZagar
03-30-2008, 06:24 AM
I think someone needs to prescribe himself some happy pills. Abe, I have looked to you for insight and inside information. Please stop your downward slide to grumpy whiner.

MickMick
03-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Watching them against Kansas, it isn't just about Curry.

Richards and Lovedale are big time players. And they play very good team defense as well.

CDC84
03-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Curry reminds me of Juan Dixon quite a bit...both in his size, frail frame, and approach toward the game. Curry probably has a better shooting touch than Juan. If you will recall, Dixon was a no name recruit that Gary Williams and Maryland took a chance on. He ended up developing into the college basketball player of the year, and also led his team to the national title.

Gonzdb8
03-30-2008, 02:12 PM
although i'm not sure its the best comparison, his shot, and certainly his release, remind me a lot of chris jackson.

Areyoukiddingme
03-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Maybe its just me but I see alot of Manute Bol in Curry. I do see a shooting style of D-RAV.

Areyoukiddingme
03-30-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm watching the Kansas game and it seems that Kaun has been playing for ten years. Davidson is going to be yesterdays news.

MickMick
03-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Curry had the open shot and didn't can it in the clutch. Human after all.

Areyoukiddingme
03-30-2008, 03:11 PM
A minute ago the commentators were calling a kansas win. Oh S%$^:lmao:

mcdiehard
03-30-2008, 03:13 PM
57,000 people know where the ball is going... does he hit the shot?

surfmonkey89
03-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Totally respect what Davidson has done and I have great respect for their coach, but there's just no way Curry shouldn't have taken the final shot.

That said, Kansas had something to do with it. Great D on their part.

sittingon50
03-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Don't know!! With 16.8 left and the teams coming back on the floor from a timeout, someone flipped a switch. Went to a Crest commercial. Didn't see the end of the game.

Heidi Bowl (for those of you that are old enough)!!:mad:

rawkmandale
03-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately, Davidson took too long after inbounding to cross midcourt with minimal pressure from Kansas (about 9 seconds left when crossed) and had the ball in Curry's hand until very late - had to pass to Richards for a long 3 attempt at the buzzer - no chance for a putback. Would have been better to have Richards rush the ball up the floor and look for Curry off a screen.

Oh well, Davidson played its butt off, and had a shot. Great job by those guys.