PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Dollar looking for new job

mtzaga
03-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Sac State would be a tough job. No winning season since 1991. Small fan base. Poor facilities.

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/820836.html

mtzaga
04-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Brian Katz, who compiled a record of 348-138 record at Delta College in Stockton in 15 seasons, will become the new men's basketball coach at Sacramento State.
Sacramento Bee file

Click on photo to enlarge

Sacramento State plans to hire Brian Katz, the head coach at San Joaquin Delta College, as its new men's head basketball coach, The Bee has learned.

University of Washington assistant Cameron Dollar and Cabrillo College head coach Tony Marcopulos said they'd received phone calls Wednesday afternoon informing them they were not the choice, leaving Katz as the pick.

Dollar, Katz and Marcopulos were the three candidates who interviewed for the job last week. A source familiar with the search confirmed Katz was getting the job.

"I'm no longer in the running," Dollar said Wednesday afternoon.

Marcopulos also said he'd been told he wasn't landing the job.

"I was just informed about 10 minutes ago I'm not the guy," Marcopulos said.

Athletics director Terry Wanless and Katz could not be immediately reached for comment.

Katz, 50, replaces Jerome Jenkins, whose contract was not renewed after a 4-24 season. Jenkins compiled an 80-147 record in eight seasons at Sacramento State, taking the Hornets to four consecutive Big Sky Conference Tournaments before missing the six-team event the last two seasons.

Katz, a Sacramento State graduate, owns a 348-138 record at Delta. In his 15 seasons at the Stockton school, the Mustangs have reached the playoffs 14 times and won six conference titles.

A Casa Roble High School graduate, Katz also posted an 87-47 record in four seasons at the head coach at Lassen College in Susanville. He worked as an assistant at Santa Clara from 1987 to 1989 and was the head coach at Center High School from 1983 to 1987, compiling a 53-34 record and earning three trips to the Sac-Joaquin Section playoffs.

The new coach will face plenty of challenges. The Hornets play in a 1,200-seat gym, averaged 583 spectators per game in 2007-08 and finished the season 335th out of 341 Division I teams in Ratings Percentage Index, a gauge of team strength.

Sac State has not enjoyed a winning season since joining Division I in 1991, with a 15-15 effort in 2005-2006 its best record.

The spring signing period begins next Wednesday. The Hornets have not had a local player on their roster since former Grant High School standout Jameel Pugh, a transfer from the University of Massachusetts, played for Sac State in 2004-05.

Angelo Roncalli
04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
The largest impediment to Cameron Dollar being hired for a D-1 coaching document is the UW's self-report of violations of NCAA recruiting rules.

The self-report is dated October 1, 2002, and is directed to Ron Baker, the Assistant Commissioner for Governance and Enforcement at the Pac-10.

It lays out Dollar's many recruiting violations (many involving the recruitment of Josh Heytvelt) and also emphasizes that Dollar was not truthful in his initial reporting of violations to the UW, NCAA and Pac-10: "When initially interviewed by the NCAA and Pac-10, Dollar report most of the other violations, including the initial contact with Prospect #1's family at the pizza restaurant in Clarkston. He was not initially forthcoming about the extent of the violations however. The remaining violations were gradually revealed during subsequent interviews with University officials and NCAA and Pac-10 investigators. Dollar's failure to reveal the details of these events during his initial interviews was a significant factor in the University's substantial self-imposed penalties."

Before being considered for the Sacramento State job, Dollar was a serious candidate for a WCC school's head coaching job. When the school's administration became fully aware of the UW's self-report and the nature and extent of Dollar's violations and his lack of candor, the school dropped him as a candidate for the open job.

a13coach
04-10-2008, 06:18 PM
That's pretty bad if USF won't take you as a coach. :D

Birddog
04-10-2008, 07:29 PM
He was not initially forthcoming about the extent of the violations however.
Cameron has a little of that "Kelvin Syndrome" going on.

zagmantis2001
04-11-2008, 08:07 AM
I hate UW as much as anybody. On the other hand, I can't find any enjoyment in the guy not getting a job because of something he did several years ago. Everyone makes mistakes-including the guy Dollar was recruiting which served as the basis for the whole problem. We all gave Heytvelt a second chance. Dollar should be given the same consideration. Hopefully, he learned his lesson. However, I still hope UW loses every game next year.

CDC84
04-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Dollar should feel lucky that he's still an assistant at UW. A lot folks would have fired him on the spot for what he did.

Angelo Roncalli
04-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Dollar's NCAA baggage is a real obstacle, especially when the prospective program has NCAA violations problems to begin with.