PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sounds like Tony Bennett is Moving On

BobZag
03-29-2008, 08:38 AM
According to ESPN Radio SportsCenters, Tony Bennett is at the top of the lists for Indiana and Cal. The San Francisco Chronicle says he's the choice at Cal, along with Dunlap, an assistant for the Denver Nuggets.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3319181

I don't have the SF Chronicle link.

Could he be a goner? It has that feel to it.

Bing
03-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Good luck to Tony, whatever he decides. I've been fortunate enough to spend some time with him, and he is class all the way.

rennis
03-29-2008, 08:44 AM
agreed. I'd say 75% chance Tony is adios.

What's the chance WSU goes after Ray if that happens?

GU69
03-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't have the SF Chronicle link.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/28/SP4TVSP0J.DTL

BobZag
03-29-2008, 09:08 AM
I've met and chatted with Tony, too. Very cordial, classy fella. If he does leave, it'll be interesting to see who is next in Pullman.

Bennett and Few are good friends so I wonder if Gonzaga might play whatever school Tony goes to, "if" he leaves.

Radbooks
03-29-2008, 09:52 AM
From Andy Katz a little while ago...

The source also said a published report Saturday morning that Indiana had made an offer to Washington State head coach Tony Bennett was inaccurate. Indiana has not offered anyone the job, according to the source.

Reached Saturday morning in Pullman, Bennett told ESPN.com, "I haven't had one conversation with [Indiana] and so, no, I haven't been offered the job.''

Washington State athletic director Jim Sterk said Saturday morning that no school has asked for permission to talk to Bennett.

According to the source, Bennett is expected to be one of the top names on Greenspan's list along with former Stanford and Golden State Warriors coach Mike Montgomery. The source said that Indiana has been told that a potential buyout for Xavier's Sean Miller would be too rich for Indiana.

A source close to California said that the Bears are also interested in Bennett as a replacement for Ben Braun. And another source indicated Cal is looking at Montgomery, too.

Rest of the story can be found here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3319181).

23dpg
03-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Reached Saturday morning in Pullman, Bennett told ESPN.com, "I haven't had one conversation with [Indiana] and so, no, I haven't been offered the job.''

That could be true. In fact I would bet it is, but I still think he is being contacted by IU. It is very commonplace for the agent to handle all details with a potential coach who is currently employed. That allows them to make that statement, and also keep his recruits happy if he in fact doesn't take the job.

That being said, I would be OK with TB going to Indiana. It is a very prestigeous place to coach. If he left for Cal, that would be tougher to swallow. I won't want him to take any other Pac 10 job.

Edit to add what Parrish wrote. Seems legit:

According to sources, third-party representatives made Bennett aware late Friday through other third-party representatives that he can be Indiana's next coach if he wants to be Indiana's next coach. He is expected to decide in the next 24 hours and allow IU to move forward, one way or another. Furthermore, a separate source said if Bennett withdraws from consideration at Indiana he will use it to display his loyalty to Washington State before asking WSU officials for everything he needs (chartered planes, better pay for assistants, etc.) to consistently win in the Pac-10. If he gets it, great. If not, then he'll take a serious look at California or LSU, two other places where Bennett is considered among the leading candidates to fill a head coaching vacancy.

finechina2003
03-29-2008, 10:40 AM
This has seemed like a natural fit. It would sure be hard to see Tony leave ... but what a class act. I would wish him all the best.

Here's a link that says Hoosiers have offered Bennett the job.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7966020?MSNHPHMA

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-29-2008, 11:46 AM
If he ever wanted to leave, now absolutely is the time to do so. His team made a very nice tournament run and his star is rising, and he's losing several key players to graduation, which means the Cougs are likely to have a substantial falloff from this year's success.

sittingon50
03-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I don't think he'll bail, now. A lot of what he's about down there is character. With the fact that he's only been the head guy 2 years & with Rochestie giving up his scholarship so another kid can come in, I just think it would fly in the face of what he's trying to teach (plus, Pullman is a great place to raise a young family). JMO.

brian_sun
03-29-2008, 01:35 PM
As a Husky fan, I wouldn't shed a tear if Tony leaves. But I've gained a lot of respect for him over the last 2 years. He's a rising star in the coaching profession and he's only 38.

The Indiana job is kind of interesting. It's no doubt a very prestigous job. But it's also facing possible NCAA sanctions. They are going to lose D.J. White and Gordon is probably going to declare and be a lottery pick. Judging by how they ended the year, there isn't much left if both of those guys are gone. But Tony's young enough to with stand the sanctions and the departures of White / Gordon. WSU will also lose a lot of core players to graduation. So in the long term, the Indiana job will offer a better opportunity, and probably a lot more money too. He's also from the midwest, so I think it's a pretty easy decision for him to make to go there. Going to Cal wouldn't be so much of a step up for him.

Bulldog
03-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I can see Tony going to Indiana if offered the position, but moving to another Pac-10 team just for the money and knowing that the coug's won't be near the team next year that the one his daddy built this year is sickening.

Just A Zag
03-29-2008, 01:58 PM
If I were him I'd probably leave WSU, and who can blame him? Cal and Indiana just have better possibilities in terms of recruiting and national stage.

Coug Tracks
03-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Just a Zag, how about the same question for Mark Few. Couldn't the same logic apply to him and Gonzaga?

webspinnre
03-29-2008, 02:30 PM
I really don't understand why any big-name coach would take the Indiana job. Sanctions, pressures.... it's just not a good situation.

roxdoc
03-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Professionally, I dont see the logic of trading a spot at WSU for one at Cal.

Just A Zag
03-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Just a Zag, how about the same question for Mark Few. Couldn't the same logic apply to him and Gonzaga?

No I don't think they relate. Gonzaga has been on the national stage increasingly since a little before Morrison blew us up, and also the recruiting hasn't fell off that much. WSU has a good class coming in, but who wouldn't want to coach a major program like Indiana. Plus the pay increase

jayray
03-29-2008, 03:16 PM
WSU has a good class coming in, but who wouldn't want to coach a major program like Indiana. Plus the pay increase

Couldn't you say the same thing for Few? You responded to the original poster and made his/her case even stronger.

Butler Guy
03-29-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't think he'll bail, now. A lot of what he's about down there is character. With the fact that he's only been the head guy 2 years & with Rochestie giving up his scholarship so another kid can come in, I just think it would fly in the face of what he's trying to teach (plus, Pullman is a great place to raise a young family). JMO.

All that stuff is just platitudes with a big pile of money sitting in front of you. You make the stacks tall enough, a coach will leave any situation, everyone has a price. When Ernie Kent finally gets the ax, you'll see.

MDABE80
03-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Coug Tracks is pretty much correct. The biggest difference is FEW doesn't have a wandering eye. He's a Northwestener, already make great money and likes it here. I suspect Coach is wired a bit differently from what normally is seen in the college ranks. He's has a family and he loves the things that make the NW what it is. VALUES mean something to him. he's our kind of guy....I suppose he could try it elsewhere someday but for now, he's fine...and happy ( the most important part).

Just A Zag
03-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Couldn't you say the same thing for Few? You responded to the original poster and made his/her case even stronger.

Yea I guess so. But to compare Bennett to Few isn't accurate at all. We play in the WCC and WSU plays in the Pac-10. Few has everything he wants or needs here at GU and I don't know if I can say the same for Bennett at WSU. Few's pressure is high every year, but he has a pretty good fall back in playing against the WCC. I'm not trying to say anything bad about Bennett or the WSU program, but his stock is very high right now, and the future at a different program might be brighter then at WSU.

FuManShoes
03-29-2008, 03:52 PM
TB has embraced his dad's defensive philosphy while opening up the offense a smidge, but the style he coaches is far from the wide-open style many top prospects want or expect to play (see Bayless' unhappiness at UofA under O'Neill (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3318299)). So I wonder if Bennett can or should stick to the pack D, limited possession philosophy if he moves on to a place where he's likely to get more athletic recruits and face greater pressure to pick up the tempo. Conversly, if he's intent on sticking with his style, does that affect where he considers going? Thoughts?

brian_sun
03-29-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't think you can compare TB's situation vs. Few. Few has been the head coach in GU for 9 years. During these 9 years, he has turned down many offers from high profile, BCS jobs. So he has a history. TB has only been the head coach in WSU for 2 years. He hasn't been there long enough and simply hasn't had a chance to be offered many jobs yet. Altough the location is similar, but Few has guided GU to 10 straight NCAA appearances. Unless you are AZ or UCLA, it's pretty hard to do that in the Pac 10. When you don't make it, your stock is going to drop. On the other hand, Few doesn't have to fear his team not making the tourney, so he will always be visable. I am not saying Few will never leave GU. Any coach is going to listen when a right opportunity presents itself. But I believe before IU hired Simpson, Few was a candidate for that job and he turned it down then. So why would he consider it now given that IU could be facing possible NCAA sanctions.

brian_sun
03-29-2008, 04:02 PM
TB has embraced his dad's defensive philosphy and opened up the offense a smidge, but the style of he coaches is far from the wide-open style many top prospects want or expect to play (see Bayless' unhappiness at UofA under O'Neill (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3318299)). So I wonder if Bennett can or should stick to the pack D, limited possession philosophy if he moves on to a place where he's likely to get more athletic recruits and face greater pressure to pick up the tempo. Conversly, if he's intent on sticking with his style, does that affect where he considers going? Thoughts?

I don't know if you've watched Big 10 basketball. But his style will fit just fine in the Big 10. The Bo Ryan style basketball is very popular over there in the midwest.

FuManShoes
03-29-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't know if you've watched Big 10 basketball. But his style will fit just fine in the Big 10. The Bo Ryan style basketball is very popular over there in the midwest.

I hear what you're saying. I guess what I'm asking is, does Bennett coach the way he does because he enjoys that style, or did he do it because that's what pops taught him and that's what was going to give the Cougs the best chance to win? The dude played NBA and international ball, and I wonder if given the chance and players, he'd rather open things up.

Coug Tracks
03-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Just a Zag, I'm not saying compare Bennett and Few right now. Just look back 6-8 years ago and the same situation existed for Few at GU. Probably even moreso. They were the nice little Cinderella story. Why not leave while he is hot and increae the pool of talent at a more established program.

Once you establish a program, it probably is easier to attract talent in the Pac 10 than the WCC. Especially if you are a good coach. Tony is a very good coach.

Dick Bennett has said he and his Son see things similary in terms of the importance of defense. However, that isn't the case on offense. Dick has said Tony really seems to like the style played by Bo Ryan and Wisconsin. I don't think it is a done deal that Tony will play this style at WSU if he stays or another program. I think you will see him continue to evolve over time and find the approach that fits him best.

VinnyZag
03-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Big difference between Few and Bennett: Few had been at GU a long time before he became head coach. He'd become part of the Spokane community already. Plus his first family is nearby, just down in Eugene. Bennet's a midwestern boy who came out here, what, four years ago?

Also, Few is the exception, not the rule. I remain shocked that he hasn't ever been lured away ... but I guess that's just him. He's unusual in that respect.

Qhall43
03-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Looks like he's staying put

http://spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=14349

Zag 77
03-30-2008, 07:33 PM
He might stay put. Or maybe he figured that he did not need the headache of going to a program going on probation.

Remember that Cal and LSU are still looking.

With Few, staying at GU means staying in his "home" part of the country near his folks. Keep in mind that home for Tony is Wisconsin and that Mom and Dad moved back there.