PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check: Zags are in trouble

BobZag
03-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Even if Pargo plays he'll be hardly more than 50%. That thigh bruise can get all the rehabbing and therapy in the world today but it is what it is: painful and encumbering. Every step he takes, every time he runs, that thigh will shake. It will be impossible to ignore. The quad is a huge muscle, and his just took a knee.

This means all the more pressure will be heaped on the other guys. If they bring anything less than their A- Games, it'll be trouble. Bouldin, Raivio, Pendo, Micah, Pierre, Mallon, Kuso, they must all step up.

I do hate to always sound like a downer, but I've noticed waaayyyy too many posts that assume Pargo will be his old self out there. Hey, he might not even play! That means no driving to the hoop, no creating shots, his shots being thrown off-balance, including FTs, no more spin moves, his D being negated, etc.

The Zags are in some real serious straits tonight. Again, defense will win or lose this. Perimeter 3-point D, to be precise.

I just hope every Zag fan realizes that the odds of a win just became a little bigger.

alaskazagnut
03-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Nice one Bobzag! Pargo will probably still get 20 minutes and 10 points. I think we will win 72-65.

gozagswoohoo
03-05-2007, 10:56 AM
BZ- Here's the old you!

I gotta disagree 100% on this one. I really like how the zags have been playing as of late. We are getting better minutes out of a couple of the guys, especially Downs. The zags know whats at stake, and we're gonna take care of business. Mark my words.

Win by double digits. (Though the game will be fairly close most of the way)

HillBillyZag
03-05-2007, 11:05 AM
I guarantee the Zags will win this game tonight. they did not come this far to let this Santa Clara team take this chance away from them. Whatever it takes, someone, it may come as a shock as to who, will step up and get the job done. For shame, BZ., Oh ye of little Faith!?

Lurknomore
03-05-2007, 11:26 AM
BZ, are you hanging out with Jazz?

TexasZagFan
03-05-2007, 11:29 AM
BZ, are you hanging out with Jazz?

Can't be...that would be like me hanging out with Treehorn.

:boxing:

TCS88
03-05-2007, 11:31 AM
We're DOOMED. Life is over for the ZAGS. I think not. This is our house (Well sort of, at lease the fan support will be there) There is too much at stake and too much pride in this team to give up. This team has been asked over and over again this season to show its heart in the face of adversity. This may be yet another time it needs to dig deep and show what it is made of. Pargo will be a game time decision. If he can contribute, you can bet he will with everything he has. If not, someone else will. We have watched a group of guys turn into a good TEAM over the last 6 games. That is the key to winning this game. Play as a team, exploit the other guys weakness, and run run run until SC can't run no more.

Anybody, Any place, Any time! No fear. Bring it!

zagster318
03-05-2007, 11:44 AM
I agree with BZ. Obviously, while I hope the Zags win, losing Pargo would be huge. Pargo needs to play for this team to get past SCU, unless P-Mac can come out of nowhere and have a spectacular game. :(

ZagAddict
03-05-2007, 11:52 AM
The Zags are thin... but even with Pargo out GU has more talent on the floor than SCU. However, talent doesn't always translate into W's. The Zags need to play great team b-ball and show the all-out effort they have been known for...

GO ZAGS!!!

former1dog
03-05-2007, 11:57 AM
"Finest Hour"

"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that if the British Empire and Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour." -- Speech delivered to the House of Commons on June 18, 1940 following the collapse of France. Many thought Britain would follow. But knowing that "Hitler will have to break us in this island or lose the war" Churchill challenged the British people to uncommon efforts to win the Battle of Britain.

LAZAGFAN11
03-05-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm sorry BobZag, but you underestimate the heart of a champion. Pargo is just one of those warriors on the team. Win or lose tonight, Pargo is going to play all out.

No excuses, play like a Champion.

Nevtelen
03-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I've been thinking about this, and I'm pretty nervous. I agree with BZ. Does this team have it in them to step up to one more huge loss? If Pargo doesn't play... loosing him might be worse than loosing Josh. Yeah, it'd only be for one game, but he's the PG and a huge force on the floor. Especially for pushing tempo, which is a big key in this game. I really really hope Raivio, Bouldin, and PMAC can step it up, but... we're already asking this guys to give so much. Is there anything left in the tank? Enough to beat a solid team like SCU who you know will be playing their hearts out to send Davey to the Big Dance one more time? I don't know.

One thing I do know, however, is that the Zags will leave it all out there and make us proud tonight, one way or the other. If they go down, they'll go down swinging.

GonzPeter
03-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Pariseau took a knee-to-knee shot on the baseline last night and turned the ankle on the same leg a little later. From that point on he was having trouble pushing off, and couldn't seem to make a cut to his right on either end of the floor.

That said, Pargo > Pariseau. We need Jeremy much more than they need Danny.

siliconzag
03-05-2007, 12:17 PM
are correct to be worried. SCU has the win one for the coach chip on their shoulder too. I am not sure who is going to win, but I will make this prediction. It will be a nail biter, and the Zags will scrap. Whoever shoots the best wins. If either team has an off night shooting, that is the likely looser. Hot shooting wins games this time of the year. If I were the Zags I would be trying to set up Pendo and Micah every time they double down on DR. And I would not give Sean Dennison a single open look. And then you gotta hope Father Spitzer has more influence on the almighty than Father Locatelli. I am not confident of that, incidentally.

Sili

tobizag
03-05-2007, 12:19 PM
after the "force out" of Davey, could it be argued that Fr. Locatelli is in the dog house with the Big Guy?

ZagPants
03-05-2007, 12:22 PM
are correct to be worried. SCU has the win one for the coach chip on their shoulder too. I am not sure who is going to win, but I will make this prediction. It will be a nail biter, and the Zags will scrap. Whoever shoots the best wins. If either team has an off night shooting, that is the likely looser. Hot shooting wins games this time of the year. If I were the Zags I would be trying to set up Pendo and Micah every time they double down on DR. And I would not give Sean Dennison a single open look. And then you gotta hope Father Spitzer has more influence on the almighty than Father Locatelli. I am not confident of that, incidentally.

Sili

I agree. If we score more points than SCU, we will definetly win.

former1dog
03-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I agree. If we score more points than SCU, we will definetly win.

:lmao:

SWZag
03-05-2007, 12:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe BZ has been a little negative about previous big games we've had, and has been wrong. So, lets hope that string can continue. Negative reinforcement can work. Lets hope it does.

Zags pull out the win, by eight, 80-72.

SWZag

tobizag
03-05-2007, 12:39 PM
is that a Majerus-ism???

ZagPants
03-05-2007, 12:46 PM
More points > Less Points
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9181/winnerro5.jpg

I am my own idiot. I don't need to invoke Majerus.

ZagMania
03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
I am my own idiot. I don't need to invoke Majerus.

LOL, nice.

TheBeast
03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
A lot of games have made me nervous this year, but my gut's feeling like it's tied up in knots. I'll probably calm down a little if Pargo is able to play his minutes.
Last night I remarked that I was torn between being forced to watch Danny or Samhan play one more game tonight... But seriously the "win one for the coach chip on their shoulder" comment above makes me much more nervous to face SC as a team.
Of course, no matter who we're missing, I have the utmost faith in the rest of the team to step up no matter what.
I ramble. Sorry.

Oahuzag
03-05-2007, 12:52 PM
We've been on a roll, winning by comfortable margins the past 4 games. Vegas says this one is close (4 pts.)

I predict Zags by 3 in a tough, physical game. 72-69.

That being said, this team is gelling at the right time, and kind of reminds me of the team that beat Florida but lost to UConn for the right to go to the Final Four.

LETS GET 1 MORE VICTORY, AND THEN REST UP ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!

former1dog
03-05-2007, 12:56 PM
A But seriously the "win one for the coach chip on their shoulder" comment above makes me much more nervous to face SC as a team.

All due respect to Coach Davey, but that motivation should have been pungent a week ago. They still lost to the bottom team in the conference.

Sure, emotion will play a part, but SCU does not have a corner on that market.

Edited to add - I appreciate what Bob is trying to point out. That this could be a tough game, especially with a hobbled Pargo.

I for one am not feeling trepidation. This team has already shown its colors. We know what they are made of now. I think they deserve our confidence. So, lets give it to them.

Bulldogs by 10!

jazzdelmar
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
True, no more dipsy doodle dunks, lookatme slams, and chainsaw-buckets from 20.....But, also no more egregious turnovers, scowling, slipping and sliding....and what if there's 10 to go in the game, tie score, what will we ever do? This could be Prince Matt's coronation.....Stay tuned.....

Lurknomore
03-05-2007, 02:02 PM
I like the scowl.

wazZag
03-05-2007, 02:08 PM
I think Jazz is right in one sense: It's Matt's time to shine. I'd like Pargo to be in the lineup, but if he's at less than full strength Few has to be looking to Matt to pick up the slack. He had some nice assist numbers last night, hopefully we'll see the ball being distributed through him tonight.

brasszag
03-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Could we maybe have a break sometime this year?

Please?

gozagswoohoo
03-05-2007, 02:18 PM
An injured Pargo is still better than any gaurd for Santa Clara, IMO. People who keep saying Pargo is out, you're mistaken my good friends. Pargo is a warrior, and I think he's the type of player to step up when faced with something like this. (Jordan when he had the flu and dropped 45). Not that I am in any way comparing him to Jordan, but I think its the same principle. He knows how big this game is. He'll be there, and he'll be square.

Zags win, then I come back to this thread and say "hahaha" to all the naysayers, and say "shame on you".

ZaggyStardust
03-05-2007, 02:23 PM
According to Tom Hudson on the noon Channel 2 news, Pargo is going to play. I agree with complete support and positive vibes!!!!

GO ZAGS...

P.S. Remember, they already broke one streak - our boys aren't going to let them break another one! Too much pride on this Zag team for that.

zagster318
03-05-2007, 02:43 PM
According to Tom Hudson on the noon Channel 2 news, Pargo is going to play. I agree with complete support and positive vibes!!!!

GO ZAGS...

P.S. Remember, they already broke one streak - our boys aren't going to let them break another one! Too much pride on this Zag team for that.

Thanks for the update. That's great news!

siliconzag
03-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Didn't live in SLC, I would suspect him of whiskey talk. DD made a great comment in the Chronicle. He said, "sometimes teams shoot badly" and he implied that it evens out. He is kind of a fatalist and really minimizes the coaching influence. This is of course part of his self deprecatory personality which is why he is so charming. On the other hand, they were pretty lucky last time in their shooting. If they are that lucky again, we are toast.

I don't think it will be double figures either way. What was encouraging to me was watching Mr. Foster play some pretty good minutes last night. He might be able to neutralize some of their height advantage. I would work to get Pendo and Micah open. And hope that they have hot hands. And if somebody does have hot hands tonight other than those two, try to get it to that guy. PMAC might be a sleeper tonight. If ever he needed to step up, it could be tonight. Few may not have a lot of options given how banged up we are. I personally am not going to get really upset if the Zags lose. And this talk about Father Locatelli, he is in pretty good with the Lord, and the Lord owes him one. I sat in front of him in the game against SCL at Leavey and he was praying just before Mr. Turiaf put in the winner. I think the Lord owes him one, to be honest.

Sili

zag69
03-05-2007, 03:04 PM
I think the Lord owes him one, to be honest.
Sili

You guys crack me up! To think God cares one way or another about this game, or will favor the team with the most vote-prayers? I hope you're kidding on this...I would pray that nobody gets hurt, but leave the Lord off the scoreboard duties. If we win, it won't be by the grace of God but the grace and skill of Bouldin, Downs et al.

ZagPants
03-05-2007, 03:19 PM
You guys crack me up! To think God cares one way or another about this game, or will favor the team with the most vote-prayers? I hope you're kidding on this...I would pray that nobody gets hurt, but leave the Lord off the scoreboard duties. If we win, it won't be by the grace of God but the grace and skill of Bouldin, Downs et al.

How will God know who to give the game to unless we give some input? If no one from either side prays their preference, the game may just implode on itself and never exist!

?

TheZagPhish
03-05-2007, 03:50 PM
If no one from either side prays their preference, the game may just implode on itself and never exist!

Whoa. I can see a Cartesian mobius in there - if the game thinks it exists, then it does! But does a game think? Does it will itself into existence? Oh goodness......

(TheZagPhish adds two jiggers Descartes, one jigger Schopenhauer, ice and fresh lime; presses puree)

"Will power is to the mind like a strong blind man who carries on his shoulders a lame man who can see."
Arthur Schopenhauer

siliconzag
03-05-2007, 03:56 PM
I am (as the more pious and orthodox members) will undoubtedly tell you, the worst of heretics, despite my parents spending a fortune to save me from what they undoubtedly noticed in a young silicon as far too much skepticism.
That said, I am not joking about seeing Locatelli praying at the game in 2005. I said to the lady sitting next to me. "Let's hope he isn't better connected that Spitzer."

Locatelli was probably coerced (although Jesuits should never be coerced) into pressuring Coach Davey out. I like Father Locatelli (some of the students down here call him "the Big Cheese" as a pun on his name since Locatelli is the name of a famous sheep cheese found outside of Rome), but Father Paul was probably told by the ex Stanford (now SCU) AD that it was time to consider a new coach. That Montgomery might be intrested. I think they blew it to tell you the truth. And they are going to have a really rough time replacing DD with someone half as knowledgable and one third as competent. The idea that the Almighty might be peeved with Fr. Locatelli over his treatment of DD (which is hardly compassionate, competent, nor conscientious) is quite compelling from a conceptual if not a theological standpoint. In terms of theology, I have been repudiated by the likes of F1D and the orthodox wing of posters on this board, so you might wabnt to consult them about the Lord's position on tonight's game. One thing is for sure, the sign I saw in Moraga a few years back, "God's On Our Side" is clearly in error!

Sili

Sili

Bowser
03-05-2007, 04:09 PM
All I know, I learned from Caddyshack.

Tony D'Annunzio: Another Rob Roy, Bishop?
Bishop: You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's #######ed business how much he's had already.
Judge Smails: Wrong, you're drinking too much your Excellency.
Bishop: Excellency, fiddlesticks, my name's Fred and I'm a man, same as you.
Judge Smails: You're not a man, you're a bishop, for God's sakes.
Bishop: There is no God...

Your Pal,

Bowser

vparcher
03-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Mr Negative

Go Zags!!

Nevtelen
03-05-2007, 04:35 PM
My brain is telling me we're going to loose. My heart is telling me we're going to win. I hope my heart is right.

gozagswoohoo
03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
My brain is telling me we're going to loose. My heart is telling me we're going to win. I hope my heart is right.

You have a dumb brain :D

Nevtelen
03-05-2007, 05:57 PM
You have a dumb brain :D

I will be glad to own up to that in about 20 mins... Maybe the only time in my life I've wanted to be dumb.

McZag
03-06-2007, 06:08 AM
One of the very times I am glad Bob was wrong. What courage by Pargo to play 39 minutes and contribute.

gamagin
03-06-2007, 06:51 AM
as a relative newcomer, i lurked tween this thread and the one with x's and o's. this one seemed driven by a ouija board, wishing and pop psychology, while the x's and o's actually contained substance.

this one kept going. still going today. the analytical one died.

looking back, a day later, the analytical one still looks interesting. this one still looks silly.

it happened the first game of the tourney, too.

I'm guessing I'm missing something. no ?

Rubbadub
03-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Its always been that way. alot of people come to message boards like this for entertainment, not necessarily around the clock fundamental basketball analysis. :)

That's why threads making fun of Majerus and threads starting out with "um, nothing" are so great.

former1dog
03-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Sili,

I hope the fact that I was right (again :D ) is not bittersweet for you.

Peace.

I for one am not feeling trepidation. This team has already shown its colors. We know what they are made of now. I think they deserve our confidence. So, lets give it to them.

Bulldogs by 10!

PS - As the resident "orthodox" Catholic, I will advise that God has given us the gift of free will. Therefore, effort and the exercise of free will is the determining factor in who wins a basketball game. If we choose to believe that God had a hand in a positive outcome for our team, well I guess that is what you would call faith, which is also a wonderful and blessed gift from God.

gamagin
03-06-2007, 07:48 AM
thanks.

I agree